Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

I'd read it a year ago and had thought to put it in the CAD/additive manufacturing thread with the Bugatti calipers.

I never did, and filed it away, but when this conversation popped up I thought the context was a good fit.

Things are progressing so rapidly in the additive manufacturing area that it won't be long before we'll be able to make serious parts using it. Things like the engine/tranny end of the mechanical clutch linkage, which is NLA. Cool!

Things are progressing so rapidly in the additive manufacturing area that it won't be long before we'll be able to make serious parts using it. Things like the engine/tranny end of the mechanical clutch linkage, which is NLA. Cool!

If you had an NOS one it could be 3D scanned to generate the STL file.

Modeling in CAD might not be too hard for someone that you're well acquainted with. :nabble_smiley_wink:

With very little work to correct for shrinkage of the SLS process a new pivot would be just a mouse click away.

And the file could be available for anyone.

Parts finish and strength seems pretty good.

(First 10 minutes)

*Edit because embed doesn't seem to work for me*

Modeling in CAD might not be too hard for someone that you're well acquainted with. :nabble_smiley_wink:

With very little work to correct for shrinkage of the SLS process a new pivot would be just a mouse click away.

(First 10 minutes)

- deleted -

- deleted -

Yes, having a professional CAD'er among us might be a big help. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But I don't have one of the pivots anymore. In fact, I never have had a production one. Just one someone cobbled together with a cutting torch. UGLY!

(First 10 minutes)

The Nabble embed thing is tricky. Give me the link and I should be able to do it - after while as I'm headed out now.

I edited the post Gary.

Just put the link instead of embedding.

I sent John, my paint/body man, a link to the above post with the lines showing where I'll cut the floor and the donor piece, and then he called after viewing it. He agreed with my plan, so I went over to the salvage and cut this piece out. Then tried it in Dad's truck and it fits perfectly. :nabble_smiley_happy:

So now I'm in a position to trim it as planned, ensure it'll fit as I expect, and then trim Dad's truck. That's kinda scary, but I think it'll work well.

Brandon/Bruno2 has recommended ChemLink's M1 adhesive/sealant, which he uses often. I checked with John and he thought it would be a fine choice.

As for how easy it was to cut out, that Ridgid right-angle grinder in the pic, which I picked up last weekend, did the job so easily it was scary. Went through not quite two cutoff wheels, but the battery is still showing 3 of 4 bars. And I had three more batteries with me. :nabble_smiley_good:

The_Floor_Piece.jpg.fce666d1bfc91ca7923a25b8bcadcafe.jpgThe_Piece_In_Place_-_Without_Trimming.thumb.jpg.f76d9f847b20f83fec3a40a9b193a28d.jpg

I sent John, my paint/body man, a link to the above post with the lines showing where I'll cut the floor and the donor piece, and then he called after viewing it. He agreed with my plan, so I went over to the salvage and cut this piece out. Then tried it in Dad's truck and it fits perfectly. :nabble_smiley_happy:

So now I'm in a position to trim it as planned, ensure it'll fit as I expect, and then trim Dad's truck. That's kinda scary, but I think it'll work well.

Brandon/Bruno2 has recommended ChemLink's M1 adhesive/sealant, which he uses often. I checked with John and he thought it would be a fine choice.

As for how easy it was to cut out, that Ridgid right-angle grinder in the pic, which I picked up last weekend, did the job so easily it was scary. Went through not quite two cutoff wheels, but the battery is still showing 3 of 4 bars. And I had three more batteries with me. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary, teach me your patience....

:nabble_anim_working:

Gary, I printed STEEL a few year ago when I worked for Remington Arms. I believe the machine was a DLMS machine. You start with a bed of powdered alloy. The plate has to match the material properties of the powder. Then a laser welds the powder in layers to the plate. You end with a part perfect to your model, but with ~70% of the yield strength, depending of the alloy. You can heat treat, and regain more of the material properties, but because of the welding process, and inevitable inclusions, its never 100%.

Gary, teach me your patience....

:nabble_anim_working:

For me it is the journey and not the destination. I do get frustrated when things like this come up, but then it is time to think through it and find a resolution. In this case I'm sure that I have and it'll just take time to work through it.