Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

I don't really like to draw attention to the undercarriage - it's just bare, rough mechansisms.

To each their own, but I completely disagree. Maybe it is just a left-brain romance with the running gear, but I have really come to love the look of certain stout Ford components like the 9” center chunk, webbed ZF main case, mono beam D60 kingpin caps or the straight six timing cover. And yeah... I want to see ‘em and show them off. I get what you are saying about spending too much time putting trendy colors under a trail rig, but for the average use truck it just does not take that much extra effort to use some accent color to show off your gear...

It can easily be over-done, but one contrast color (especially a metal tone) looks classy, I think. No sense arguing aesthetics since there is no right answer, but to me the engine bay and drive train are every bit something to look at as the body lines and trim.

Bob - That's good to know. It was a guy named Gary @ Eaton that told me not to heat springs to 400. So perhaps they stress-relieve at a lower temp? Anyway, it is easy enough to paint rather than powder coat, so I'm being safe rather than sorry.

Jonthan - You are right, it is "aesthetics" and there is no right or wrong. Only opinions. And, as I've said, I find all-black monotonous. My brother and I talked about it when I started down this path, and we agreed that some accents to break the up the black would be good.

Toward that end, here's what I did on the rear suspension. But, that was before I learned that it is better to make the fasteners black as touching up black is far easier than touching up the silver.

Rear_Suspension.thumb.jpg.cbdad0a96b767fcb24f82b78d5ca121c.jpg

So, for the front the things at the top of this pic will be silver, meaning the end links, the brackets that go on the front of the crossmember, and the brackets that wrap around the bushings. All the other pieces will be black.

But, I'm happy to see others thoughts.

Blasting_Results_for_03062019.thumb.jpg.2a4cdcdb7e5096bd8f05b08ecef46bbc.jpg

Bob - That's good to know. It was a guy named Gary @ Eaton that told me not to heat springs to 400. So perhaps they stress-relieve at a lower temp? Anyway, it is easy enough to paint rather than powder coat, so I'm being safe rather than sorry.

Jonthan - You are right, it is "aesthetics" and there is no right or wrong. Only opinions. And, as I've said, I find all-black monotonous. My brother and I talked about it when I started down this path, and we agreed that some accents to break the up the black would be good.

Toward that end, here's what I did on the rear suspension. But, that was before I learned that it is better to make the fasteners black as touching up black is far easier than touching up the silver.

So, for the front the things at the top of this pic will be silver, meaning the end links, the brackets that go on the front of the crossmember, and the brackets that wrap around the bushings. All the other pieces will be black.

It is your truck, your money and your time! :nabble_smiley_good:

I think it looks good and I agree, there is no right or wrong. The truck looks good, what is the color? I've only been able to see the firewall but it looks sharp. The engine in my truck is black and my dip stick handle broke off so I borrowed the one that is in my spare engine block and it's yellow handle adds a touch of contrast under the hood. Keep up the good work.

...I find all-black monotonous.
All of any color would be "monotonous". :nabble_anim_blbl: I like to paint the underbody white, but not for cosmetic appeal - it's functional, so I can see what's happening during maintenance, repairs, or diagnosis. But none of it is visible when the truck is driving around, unless you're under it. :nabble_smiley_hurt: This is my black Bronco:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/927263/thumbnail/135csbk.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1054371/thumbnail/53tcase4.jpg

This is the blue one I'm building:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1039305/thumbnail/02bodylift04.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1056915/thumbnail/06white07.jpg

...yellow handle adds a touch of contrast under the hood.
Ford changed some of the service points (dipsticks, filler caps, ...) to yellow so owners could find them. :nabble_smiley_what: Not to make the engine bay more colorful. :nabble_smiley_wink:

...I find all-black monotonous.
All of any color would be "monotonous". :nabble_anim_blbl: I like to paint the underbody white, but not for cosmetic appeal - it's functional, so I can see what's happening during maintenance, repairs, or diagnosis. But none of it is visible when the truck is driving around, unless you're under it. :nabble_smiley_hurt: This is my black Bronco:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/927263/thumbnail/135csbk.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1054371/thumbnail/53tcase4.jpg

This is the blue one I'm building:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1039305/thumbnail/02bodylift04.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1056915/thumbnail/06white07.jpg

...yellow handle adds a touch of contrast under the hood.
Ford changed some of the service points (dipsticks, filler caps, ...) to yellow so owners could find them. :nabble_smiley_what: Not to make the engine bay more colorful. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Steve83 quote

I can understand the reasoning behind that since the '90's I've been seeing more and more people who are completely lost and confused under the hood of a vehicle. I even saw someone ruin a car once by driving it until it wouldn't move or run any more because they didn't understand what the red light saying HOT meant.

Steve83 quote

I can understand the reasoning behind that since the '90's I've been seeing more and more people who are completely lost and confused under the hood of a vehicle. I even saw someone ruin a car once by driving it until it wouldn't move or run any more because they didn't understand what the red light saying HOT meant.

It wasn't just Ford, Chrysler did the same, my 1986/7 engine has the old ring shaped oil dipstick, the 1989 engine from the parts car has the T shaped "engine oil" handle on it, the older transaxles had an inverted "J" for the dipstick/vent, later ones have a T handle with trans fluid on it.

Steve83 quote

But what goes in the 710 hole? Because there's nothing showing on the stick.

But what goes in the 710 hole? Because there's nothing showing on the stick.

Steve - Yes, everything done in any color would be monotonous. And while white makes it easier to see underneath, it would also make it harder to look spotless. (Black may not be spotless, but you can't see the grease or oil as easily.) So I'm going black with accents.

Jim - I'm afraid to ask, but what is the "710 hole"? :nabble_anim_confused:

Steve - Yes, everything done in any color would be monotonous. And while white makes it easier to see underneath, it would also make it harder to look spotless. (Black may not be spotless, but you can't see the grease or oil as easily.) So I'm going black with accents.

Jim - I'm afraid to ask, but what is the "710 hole"? :nabble_anim_confused:

Turn "710" over.:nabble_anim_blbl: