Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

Thanks for the replies. It really isn't the cost. I'm WAY too far in on this to balk at new bearings. It is more the thought that these bearings, which are probably the original ones, must be good if they've made it this far - maybe 150K miles.

I've seen/heard people complain about cheap bearings today, so was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were regarding replacing what appear to be good bearings with potentially inferior ones.

My Bronco was getting noisy, checked the bearings, I think twice. They seemed fine.

Started hearing noises like bearings going out and the right front was close to welding itself to the axle.

Went to NAPA and got their good bearings and some fresh bearing grease, nothing fancy, just good old bearing grease.

Just got back from a 800 mile trip. Man it was a pleasant drive, quiet and smooth. Just had to battle some packed snow and ice. The Bronc done good!

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Bronco was getting noisy, checked the bearings, I think twice. They seemed fine.Started hearing noises like bearings going out and the right front was close to welding itself to the axle. Went to NAPA and got their good bearings and some fresh bearing grease, nothing fancy, just good old bearing grease. Just got back from a 800 mile trip. Man it was a pleasant drive, quiet and smooth. Just had to battle some packed snow and ice. The Bronc done good!
Ray - That's kinda what I'm wondering about.  I'll clean the bearings completely and look closely to make 100% sure.

Grumpin - I think your vote is new?

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 12:43 AM grumpin [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

You know the quality of these because they've lasted this long without any visible wear. Why risk Chinese crap? Repack them with good disk brake grease, and keep rolling. You can replace them any time in the future, but why spend money on them when these are still good? If you're replacing parts unnecessarily, why not replace the whole truck?

I'm sorry, not clear on that.

I would say look them over closely, as Steve83 said on replacing parts, don't replace unnecessarily.

I was reporting which brand and grease I used.

I should have caught that mine were bad, I feel.

I'm sorry, not clear on that.

I would say look them over closely, as Steve83 said on replacing parts, don't replace unnecessarily.

I was reporting which brand and grease I used.

I should have caught that mine were bad, I feel.

Steve - That's kinda where I am. They must have been really good to have gotten this far. And I've heard/read horror stories about some of the new bearings.

Grumpin - Now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

All - I'll clean them thoroughly and report back. (It may be tomorrow as the couch is calling. :nabble_smiley_what:)

Steve - That's kinda where I am. They must have been really good to have gotten this far. And I've heard/read horror stories about some of the new bearings.

Grumpin - Now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

All - I'll clean them thoroughly and report back. (It may be tomorrow as the couch is calling. :nabble_smiley_what:)

Ok, made some progress today. But, I also need some help. So, let's go to the needed help.

The master parts catalog shows a Lower Spring Retainer, as shown below. But I can't find them and need to know what I'm looking for. (Also note a big error - those bolts are 3/8" and they'll strip long before reaching 240 lb-ft. :nabble_smiley_scared:)

Lower_Spring_Retainer.thumb.jpg.7fc776c09f9c1d5bfcce6fd6b0f878d5.jpg

This is where the MPC shows that part goes, with the red circle showing where it would go. Could someone show me what theirs looks like?

DSCN3382.jpg.ebe396208a0f3f756e44db90db64d8cd.jpg

Anyway, I got the left "axle" in, along w/the spring, shocks, and radius arm. But, along the way I realized that several of the fasteners haven't been powder coated, so once I get them rounded up I'll blast and PC them.

DSCN3381.thumb.jpg.4151d636ae68107e0fad54b1fa45ee78.jpg

Ok, made some progress today. But, I also need some help. So, let's go to the needed help.

The master parts catalog shows a Lower Spring Retainer, as shown below. But I can't find them and need to know what I'm looking for. (Also note a big error - those bolts are 3/8" and they'll strip long before reaching 240 lb-ft. :nabble_smiley_scared:)

This is where the MPC shows that part goes, with the red circle showing where it would go. Could someone show me what theirs looks like?

Anyway, I got the left "axle" in, along w/the spring, shocks, and radius arm. But, along the way I realized that several of the fasteners haven't been powder coated, so once I get them rounded up I'll blast and PC them.

Gary,

Those retainers are like a cupped washer. The edge is beveled up, and the OD is just a hair larger than the opening of the bottom coil of the spring. There’s not much to them.

Gary,

Those retainers are like a cupped washer. The edge is beveled up, and the OD is just a hair larger than the opening of the bottom coil of the spring. There’s not much to them.

Yep I think I have an extra set from 1 of the trucks I can get a picture of tomorrow morning if I can find them.

It will get my butt out to the garage, fire up the heater wile I look for them to get a picture of.

I also think that bolt is more like 1/2" or the next size larger.

I had fun trying to fit the wrench in between the spring to get it to 240 lb.

Dave ----

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1145650/thumbnail/sprret.jpg

This has the correct torque specs:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/255498/thumbnail/d44ifsusp.jpg

Ok guys, thanks a bunch.

Cory - Your description fits some of the things I have, but somehow I'm one short.

Dave - See if yours have #'s on them. Some of mine have #'s or lettering. One pair is obviously the ones for the front of the radius arm bushing as they say Front on one side and To The Rubber on the other. But I may have the wrong cupped washer to the rear of the radius arm bushing.

Steve - Thanks. I'll amend my MPC with the right torque values. And your pics look a bunch like some of the cupped washers I have. As said, I may be using the right ones in the wrong places.