Bullnose Forums

Dana 44HD axle nut socket? Or is it a Dana 50?

Hi Alex,

I can't see the photos you posted for some reason, but my understanding is the D50 only came on the F250HD (GVWR >8500lbs) between 80 and 86 and has a much beefier 4" "soup can" type hub as mentioned. It wasn't until 87 that the D50 became standard on all F250s....

The TTB Dana 50 was never standard on all F-250s. The Dana 44HD was always used on the F-250 and often on the F-250HD until 1996/1997. Dana 50s came with a snow plow package, in a crew cab, and almost always in a SuperCab. And any other time that Ford felt like it.

Does anyone know what they offer for E- or Air Lockers for this D44 HD Diff? I'm running the carrier for 3.55s and with the T18 I doubt Ill be running anything lower unless I get into something taller than 35"s

OX Lockers offer a locker for the D44. I'm running one of theirs in my D60, but haven't really used it yet. However, their customer support has been excellent.

OX does not offer a locker for any TTB front axle. The OX locker shift fork is mounted to their diff cover, so it can't go into any diff that doesn't have a replaceable cover (TTB and 9" for example).

I'm pretty sure there are ARB air lockers available for all of the TTB diffs, and I'd guess the Eaton E-Locker as well

OX does not offer a locker for any TTB front axle. The OX locker shift fork is mounted to their diff cover, so it can't go into any diff that doesn't have a replaceable cover (TTB and 9" for example).

I'm pretty sure there are ARB air lockers available for all of the TTB diffs, and I'd guess the Eaton E-Locker as well

Wow! I'm sure glad you caught that, Bob! You are right and I'm WRONG! :nabble_smiley_blush:

Jim, you typed that it looks like a D44, did you mean a D44HD? I looked and was confused by the images in another forum BlueOval Trucks:

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/dana_44_and_dana_44hd_dana_50_ttb_beam_comparison.jpg

"Above is a comparison between the Dana 44HD TTB / Dana 50 TTB axle beam (top) and the normal Dana 44 TTB axle beam (bottom)"

I'm confused I think mine looks more like the D50....?

It looks like a D-44 HD

A) look on your door sticker.

What is the front axle weight rating (FAWR)?

3,800(ish) is a D-44

45 or 4,600 is a D-50.

B) Does your front diff have (50) cast in it?

C) Are your hubs (not the lockouts!) 4 3/16" diameter?

If the hub (behind the chrome cap) is the width of a 2x4 -3 5/8"- then it is a D-44(HD)

The light D-44 found on 150's uses a pivot like their radius arms do.

That's why the lightweight D-44 has such a long arm and coil springs.

I pretty much ignore the light duty 250's (without 8 lug hubs and full-floating axles)

The D-50 was not even found much in crew cabs, but it was common with super cabs and plow prepped trucks.

It looks like a D-44 HD

A) look on your door sticker.

What is the front axle weight rating (FAWR)?

3,800(ish) is a D-44

45 or 4,600 is a D-50.

B) Does your front diff have (50) cast in it?

C) Are your hubs (not the lockouts!) 4 3/16" diameter?

If the hub (behind the chrome cap) is the width of a 2x4 -3 5/8"- then it is a D-44(HD)

The light D-44 found on 150's uses a pivot like their radius arms do.

That's why the lightweight D-44 has such a long arm and coil springs.

I pretty much ignore the light duty 250's (without 8 lug hubs and full-floating axles)

The D-50 was not even found much in crew cabs, but it was common with super cabs and plow prepped trucks.

Well I'm quite sure that's uiits a Dana 44 HD then as the hubs justbehind the lock as similar in size, and the truck's a 1984 F250 however the Front GVWR seems WAY to light. and it doesn't look like the D44 (non-HD)

I guess my next question is the carrier is it the same? I.E. can I use a D44 locker (D44 lockers are way more common)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/s92HJcfAV3LwdI7Uu5i5gMIv1p5Tii6-KXnb-OVVvLF0eON6xMZjuKVhUINKyUfpnrvbvn31WXhRqDlOubrnN06ZXEMuNdxVE6dS43zjyBcT5XOig6DHoZRDJbTfZZzEp6FCAYjgOBsxEJ3uf07W0wcSDD7db0dYGJxDgdrGWnGKaT_kVVzd3RRW5ieb18oq3rcExgd7wfydWxtgCfuEG9lRvwiRIBjctYl3d5OqcG_24uK8vWxBI1YnE3OjkUvKrxDieo31gDGW0KJIka07emBKbbQkzPSwJ_tV8SEHnzBgZo1a-TLJpizDfJ9Q07VsZMlDmekzXmAj9c-v98GMfy1EMvAEwyL0uCgOBTrl-X0cGO6_EyfdxDTHQoM9MUPIQBJCSDCW5-Smztyu5AHiVqUCB3nOUClh87yuNkbzzDQgHhkxfFQQath7lOyW-55ngFV9LYVyszZGpJBsTPLiVqeRNzhHuULLNszEZPLzhnIjDCggXs6MRf31-Wb-nC5s8thzYtII6OjzSaF2Ds2dDzKc5kbgYNGiOyaaJ1NUh7J8CEMa9rwBgXnMjdk7ytJIDDAYBBGB92W0pUYH4XkaFAnKS0isYQw54wK1x7u7eYiUHHlpXMmWe_FQJ96FGtfa0fWVgmrY8RNmFvpuSYyHXN8Y_ZfRm9iHo9OUF59MSduhwFrlk1qlVcMk5FykUZGZV323Wqjx8isZGQfNprV6GAngBA=w1319-h775-no

Well I'm quite sure that's uiits a Dana 44 HD then as the hubs justbehind the lock as similar in size, and the truck's a 1984 F250 however the Front GVWR seems WAY to light. and it doesn't look like the D44 (non-HD)

I guess my next question is the carrier is it the same? I.E. can I use a D44 locker (D44 lockers are way more common)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/s92HJcfAV3LwdI7Uu5i5gMIv1p5Tii6-KXnb-OVVvLF0eON6xMZjuKVhUINKyUfpnrvbvn31WXhRqDlOubrnN06ZXEMuNdxVE6dS43zjyBcT5XOig6DHoZRDJbTfZZzEp6FCAYjgOBsxEJ3uf07W0wcSDD7db0dYGJxDgdrGWnGKaT_kVVzd3RRW5ieb18oq3rcExgd7wfydWxtgCfuEG9lRvwiRIBjctYl3d5OqcG_24uK8vWxBI1YnE3OjkUvKrxDieo31gDGW0KJIka07emBKbbQkzPSwJ_tV8SEHnzBgZo1a-TLJpizDfJ9Q07VsZMlDmekzXmAj9c-v98GMfy1EMvAEwyL0uCgOBTrl-X0cGO6_EyfdxDTHQoM9MUPIQBJCSDCW5-Smztyu5AHiVqUCB3nOUClh87yuNkbzzDQgHhkxfFQQath7lOyW-55ngFV9LYVyszZGpJBsTPLiVqeRNzhHuULLNszEZPLzhnIjDCggXs6MRf31-Wb-nC5s8thzYtII6OjzSaF2Ds2dDzKc5kbgYNGiOyaaJ1NUh7J8CEMa9rwBgXnMjdk7ytJIDDAYBBGB92W0pUYH4XkaFAnKS0isYQw54wK1x7u7eYiUHHlpXMmWe_FQJ96FGtfa0fWVgmrY8RNmFvpuSYyHXN8Y_ZfRm9iHo9OUF59MSduhwFrlk1qlVcMk5FykUZGZV323Wqjx8isZGQfNprV6GAngBA=w1319-h775-no

I don't know what's different between a Dana 44, a Dana 44 TTB and a Dana 44HD TTB.

I THINK the diffs are the same between all three, but I don't know that. So I would check with technical support with whatever company you are thinking of going with and ask them.

I don't know what's different between a Dana 44, a Dana 44 TTB and a Dana 44HD TTB.

I THINK the diffs are the same between all three, but I don't know that. So I would check with technical support with whatever company you are thinking of going with and ask them.

The TTB D-44 is high pinion, reverse cut, and unloads like a 9" where everything is contained in the hogshead. Unlike the solid axle 44 that you have to set up in the case.

The D- 44-HD uses a much bigger pinion than a regular 44 ifs found in a 150.

And of course you need to pay attention to the diameter and spline counts of the axles.

Let us know what you figure out.

The TTB D-44 is high pinion, reverse cut, and unloads like a 9" where everything is contained in the hogshead. Unlike the solid axle 44 that you have to set up in the case.

The D- 44-HD uses a much bigger pinion than a regular 44 ifs found in a 150.

And of course you need to pay attention to the diameter and spline counts of the axles.

Let us know what you figure out.

Thanks for the inputs and guideance Gary, Jim and Bob.

I'll try and remember to post here promptly, with what I find when I pull-the-trigger on this project this summer.

Jim, what do you mean by 8 lug hubs exactly?

I don't understand because I thought all F250s, including non-HD models, have eight studs for mounting the wheels.

Jim, what do you mean by 8 lug hubs exactly?

I don't understand because I thought all F250s, including non-HD models, have eight studs for mounting the wheels.

I think he means that he doesn't pay any attention to the standard F-250 :nabble_smiley_beam:. Because he seems to not realize that they also had 8 lugs, at least up to 1997 when the new body style F-250 had 7 lugs. (In '97 the F-250HD was still the old body style and had 8 lugs.)

(Sorry Jim, not meant to be a jab in any way, just an attempt at humor that may or may not work over the internet)

I think he means that he doesn't pay any attention to the standard F-250 :nabble_smiley_beam:. Because he seems to not realize that they also had 8 lugs, at least up to 1997 when the new body style F-250 had 7 lugs. (In '97 the F-250HD was still the old body style and had 8 lugs.)

(Sorry Jim, not meant to be a jab in any way, just an attempt at humor that may or may not work over the internet)

Ah, ok, I didn't realize there was such a thing as a seven lug wheel on the later model F250s.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I remember my brother in law had an F150 (2001 I think) with six lug wheels which we jokingly called a 5/8-ton.