Bullnose Forums

84 F150 302 AOD Longbed

Crixmix

Yeah I was looking at a bunch of different options. I ordered the Felpro silicon gaskets. And I’m a bit OCD so this truck is gonna keep me busy so I figured rather than hammering to valve covers and sanding and getting them looking fresh (sanding and painting) might as well just get new covers haha. When replacing the covers I see there are blow offs or holes and what not what should I order along with the covers to make sure everything looks fresh and new?

I assume you mean the PCV valve and breather/oil fill?

New grommets are a great idea, but I'm not sure which covers you're looking at, so I can't be sure.

The covers I purchased -used- were from a marine application.

I ended up manually scouring them and then refinishing in PJ1 high temp crinkle coat paint.

I filed and block sanded the ribs so they stood out as an accent.

When replacing the covers I see there are blow offs or holes and what not what should I order along with the covers to make sure everything looks fresh and new?

On an '84 302, there would be the hole for the PCV valve at the rear of the right side cover, and the oil fill cap hole at the front of the left side cover. The oil fill cap (probably yellow?) has a hose on it that attaches to the air cleaner assembly. The PCV valve will attach to the carb or base of the carburetor somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

When replacing the covers I see there are blow offs or holes and what not what should I order along with the covers to make sure everything looks fresh and new?

On an '84 302, there would be the hole for the PCV valve at the rear of the right side cover, and the oil fill cap hole at the front of the left side cover. The oil fill cap (probably yellow?) has a hose on it that attaches to the air cleaner assembly. The PCV valve will attach to the carb or base of the carburetor somewhere.

New felpro gaskets worked like a charm! On to the next project. Got an edelbrock performer 289 and planning on the 4160 holley carburetor. From the research I’ve done I know I need a special bracket and throttle cable to hook it up to the AOD transmission. Does anyone know the exact part numbers for this?

New felpro gaskets worked like a charm! On to the next project. Got an edelbrock performer 289 and planning on the 4160 holley carburetor. From the research I’ve done I know I need a special bracket and throttle cable to hook it up to the AOD transmission. Does anyone know the exact part numbers for this?

KD-2AODU

Lokar KD-2AOD-U TV cable kit with bracket.

Or you can get the stainless one, -HT-

Glad the gaskets worked.

Is the intake new? If not, look closely to see that there is no erosion of the aluminum around the water passages at the front and rear on both sides. If people don't run good antifreeze electrolysis happens at the interface between the head and the intake and aluminum is removed, which can cause the gasket to leak.

• 1 month later...

Glad the gaskets worked.

Is the intake new? If not, look closely to see that there is no erosion of the aluminum around the water passages at the front and rear on both sides. If people don't run good antifreeze electrolysis happens at the interface between the head and the intake and aluminum is removed, which can cause the gasket to leak.

So I’ve run into some problems. I got aftermarket headers that the site said would work with my truck. Where the headers end is right where my transmission lockdown/tv rod is. Does anyone know what headers and exhaust will work with my truck.

So I’ve run into some problems. I got aftermarket headers that the site said would work with my truck. Where the headers end is right where my transmission lockdown/tv rod is. Does anyone know what headers and exhaust will work with my truck.

Hi Chris,

I have BBK shorty headers installed on my 1984 302. They fit and work great, although I had to buy different gaskets and bolts as the ones that came with them were no good.

IMG_4605.jpg.2e56a8a03097efc6e8b27cd9bff8dd9f.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg.788905ed1277accf8d713638ccaeb654.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg.d12cfde7c1540249789fd49398567194.jpg

Header fitment is a bit of an issue with these trucks, especially longtubes....and I'd go even further to say that the issue is compounded with the 302 as it was used in many MANY other applications, including Mustangs which probably have/had 20+ different aftermarket header options. Mustang headers fit the engine just fine, but they point directly at the firewall...some guys make them fit though, so I don't know.

Which headers did you buy?

The proper truck headers (long tube) should drop down below the transmission linkages. If by chance you ended up with the Mustang GT style headers, they will point directly at the firewall and transmission shift linkages, etc.

Hi Chris,

I have BBK shorty headers installed on my 1984 302. They fit and work great, although I had to buy different gaskets and bolts as the ones that came with them were no good.

Header fitment is a bit of an issue with these trucks, especially longtubes....and I'd go even further to say that the issue is compounded with the 302 as it was used in many MANY other applications, including Mustangs which probably have/had 20+ different aftermarket header options. Mustang headers fit the engine just fine, but they point directly at the firewall...some guys make them fit though, so I don't know.

Which headers did you buy?

The proper truck headers (long tube) should drop down below the transmission linkages. If by chance you ended up with the Mustang GT style headers, they will point directly at the firewall and transmission shift linkages, etc.

I got the pacesetter 70-2222 long tube headers. My old exhaust was pretty much falling apart so I removed it. So now the truck is inoperable until I get a new header exhaust combo. Womp womp.