Bullnose Forums

84 F150 302 AOD Longbed

Crixmix

I’m pretty sure they don’t do emission testing here but thanks for all the great info. How do I tell if I have the feedback carb?

Does it have a vacuum advance on the distributor?

What does the ignition coil look like?

Does the carburetor have any wires (other that the choke heater)?

Does it have a vacuum advance on the distributor?

What does the ignition coil look like?

Does the carburetor have any wires (other that the choke heater)?

E0A5629A-65D3-49F3-8B86-29A3827BF5CE.jpeg.cbd1978e322be12bbbed108064ae9f14.jpeg

CB9308BC-9D6C-4056-843C-D12685F189E9.jpeg.78263c65a751371001a441cfe0f76546.jpeg

And yes it does have a vacuum advance on the distributor and as far as I can see the only wires going to the carb go to the choke.

And yes it does have a vacuum advance on the distributor and as far as I can see the only wires going to the carb go to the choke.

Well then, that sounds like a factory DSII truck, unless somebody converted it previously. Do you have any history on the truck? Is the whole engine blue or just the valve covers? They would have been grey originally, so somebody painted them or replaced them. I see a couple vacuum port caps, so somebody did that too. The exhaust crossover valve in the intake is capped off as well I see...but by this time, lots and lots of owners have ripped out a lot of vacuum lines.

My '84 F150 has the exact same engine, and I had mine all done over. I went with an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake manifold, and a Holley 4160 4bbl carb. That's a good start at least. In stock trim your engine has 8.3:1 compression and I believe 135HP and 250 ft/lbs Torque.

Well then, that sounds like a factory DSII truck, unless somebody converted it previously. Do you have any history on the truck? Is the whole engine blue or just the valve covers? They would have been grey originally, so somebody painted them or replaced them. I see a couple vacuum port caps, so somebody did that too. The exhaust crossover valve in the intake is capped off as well I see...but by this time, lots and lots of owners have ripped out a lot of vacuum lines.

My '84 F150 has the exact same engine, and I had mine all done over. I went with an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake manifold, and a Holley 4160 4bbl carb. That's a good start at least. In stock trim your engine has 8.3:1 compression and I believe 135HP and 250 ft/lbs Torque.

Hmm interesting

I dont have much history on it i bought it off a buddy who only had it for 4-5 years. I have not a lick of knowledge of car/truck stuff but am trying to ideally trying to get it it looking fresh and new again.

As for the engine only the valve covers are blue.

And yeah alot of the vacuum lines just go to nothing at this point in the truck and are mostly capped off.

So then I should be able to put an after market manifold and carb on without worrying about any computer issues?

Also sorry for the bombardment of questions but like I said i have only a months worth of youtubing mechanic knowledge haha.

But with that said it seems like the truck has issues shifting and going into overdrive. I know you are supposed to be able to adjust the throttle cable/rod or something in order to fix that. But upon inspection it looks like there is just the ball chain connector you can see in the photo above. So if any one has advice on how to go about fixing that that would be great.

Im hoping to replace the carb and manifold within the next few weeks and want to make sure i get all the parts needed for it.

But with that said it seems like the truck has issues shifting and going into overdrive. I know you are supposed to be able to adjust the throttle cable/rod or something in order to fix that. But upon inspection it looks like there is just the ball chain connector you can see in the photo above. So if any one has advice on how to go about fixing that that would be great.

Ok, I'm not an expert with automatic transmissions in these trucks, but lets confirm what you've got here.

The cable with the ball chain on the end should be for the cruise control.

The kickdown rod for the transmission is in your picture posted above. It is a hard metal rod that goes from the throttle on the side of the carb back towards the firewall, and then down to the transmission.

Which brings up another question...I thought the AOD trans was cable controlled, and your transmission definitely has a kickdown rod...so are you sure this truck has an AOD trans? I had it in my head that the AOD didn't show up until 1985, but I could be wrong on that. Like I said, I'm no expert when it comes to auto transmissions.

Can you post a picture of the certification label that is inside the driver's door jamb, on the cab next to the striker post where the driver's door latches? Or tell us what letters are shown under the "Trans" and "Axle" sections...

Ok, I'm not an expert with automatic transmissions in these trucks, but lets confirm what you've got here.

The kickdown rod for the transmission is in your picture posted above. It is a hard metal rod that goes from the throttle on the side of the carb back towards the firewall, and then down to the transmission.

Which brings up another question...I thought the AOD trans was cable controlled, and your transmission definitely has a kickdown rod...so are you sure this truck has an AOD trans? I had it in my head that the AOD didn't show up until 1985, but I could be wrong on that. Like I said, I'm no expert when it comes to auto transmissions.

The AOD debuted in 1980 when the Bullnose was first introduced, but it was actually designed in the early-mid 1960s. It was the very first automatic overdrive transmission offered.

The early trucks (and cars) with a carburetor and AOD used a TV ROD. It looks very similar to a C4/C6 kickdown rod, but it is very different. The carburetor is different as well. Carburetors with an AOD had a special linkage for the TV rod to connect to.

No aftermarket carburetor has the correct linkage for the stock Ford AOD TV rod to connect to. The Ford "kickdown linkage" is not the same and absolutely will not work! If you switch to an aftermarket carburetor, you can count on also replacing the TV rod with an aftermarket TV cable. Stock Ford TV cables showed up when EFI was introduced.

This is how you adjust the stock Ford AOD TV rod:

https://images.carid.com/bm/transmission-and-drivetrain/pdf/40263-installation-instructions.pdf

(see page 9 and 10)

The AOD debuted in 1980 when the Bullnose was first introduced, but it was actually designed in the early-mid 1960s. It was the very first automatic overdrive transmission offered.

The early trucks (and cars) with a carburetor and AOD used a TV ROD. It looks very similar to a C4/C6 kickdown rod, but it is very different. The carburetor is different as well. Carburetors with an AOD had a special linkage for the TV rod to connect to.

No aftermarket carburetor has the correct linkage for the stock Ford AOD TV rod to connect to. The Ford "kickdown linkage" is not the same and absolutely will not work! If you switch to an aftermarket carburetor, you can count on also replacing the TV rod with an aftermarket TV cable. Stock Ford TV cables showed up when EFI was introduced.

This is how you adjust the stock Ford AOD TV rod:

https://images.carid.com/bm/transmission-and-drivetrain/pdf/40263-installation-instructions.pdf

(see page 9 and 10)

I believe the transmission was swapped two owners again. Not exactly sure which manual transmission it was prior though. So is the ball actually for the cruise control?