Bullnose Forums

84 F150 302 AOD Longbed

Crixmix

Hello everyone here is the start of my thread about Loretta

First of all I’ve been doing some research and coming up pretty confused. I have read that depending on what carburetor I have I might not be able to upgrade to a newer better carb if it is an EEC-IV?

I currently have the original motorcraft carb in the truck that is stamped with E4TE AFA. I would ideally like to upgrade the intake manifold and go to a 4bl carb and would love any info or recommendations of what is possible and which would be best for this.

Thanks

My understanding is that you'll need to change the ignition system, because the engine management computer goes brain dead if it can't find, get input from, and control any of the components of the system.

This can mean the older Ford DuraSpark II system, or an 'all in one' HEI style distributor.

Either way engine vacuum controls the advance, and the computer (with its associated wiring) gets removed.

My understanding is that you'll need to change the ignition system, because the engine management computer goes brain dead if it can't find, get input from, and control any of the components of the system.

This can mean the older Ford DuraSpark II system, or an 'all in one' HEI style distributor.

Either way engine vacuum controls the advance, and the computer (with its associated wiring) gets removed.

Yes, Jim/ArdWrknTrk is right. It is all-in or nothing. Change something and the computer gets upset and locks the ignition timing, which only it controls, into "limp-home" mode. And that means the power and MPG are gone.

But there are fairly easy ways around that. The EEC-IV system is pretty much stand-alone and can be removed w/o messing anything else up. And if you get the DS-II ignition wiring for a 302 it'll plug right into the harness where the EEC-IV's ignition is currently plugged in. Add the right distributor and a carb w/o computer control and it'll work just fine.

Yes, Jim/ArdWrknTrk is right. It is all-in or nothing. Change something and the computer gets upset and locks the ignition timing, which only it controls, into "limp-home" mode. And that means the power and MPG are gone.

But there are fairly easy ways around that. The EEC-IV system is pretty much stand-alone and can be removed w/o messing anything else up. And if you get the DS-II ignition wiring for a 302 it'll plug right into the harness where the EEC-IV's ignition is currently plugged in. Add the right distributor and a carb w/o computer control and it'll work just fine.

Chris, are you located in an area which checks emissions?

Hey all

Thanks for the quick replies! Sorry I am new to any kind of auto mechanical anything haha. As for the DS II or HEI style which would be better? Are there any recommendations on where to find everything I need in one place?

Hey all

Thanks for the quick replies! Sorry I am new to any kind of auto mechanical anything haha. As for the DS II or HEI style which would be better? Are there any recommendations on where to find everything I need in one place?

The HEI will be easier to source and less expensive, but there's a lot to be said for having a stock configuration, where any auto parts store can help you fix it.

It's your call.

The DSII system was installed in millions and millions of Ford's (and some AMC) during the late 1970's & early '80's.

My '87 has it.

I have recommended Skip White distributors in the past.

They have a presence on Amazon and eBay.

Inexpensive, but the couple I've done fit well, and those people have never been callbacks.

I don't have any long term experience with ownership, so I can't say.

Hey all

Don't miss David's question about emissions testing. If you have them the truck won't pass the visual part if you change - even if it would pass the tailpipe test, which isn't likely.

As for getting it all in one place, I don't think that is likely unless you have a salvage nearby that has several of these truck. As far as I know, no one sells a "kit".

Comparing the HEI, or a "one-wire" distributor, to the Ford DS-II dizzy is interesting. We have a page on that (Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Simplification tab) that attempts to describe the advantages and disadvantages of each. See what you think.

But the comment about "fitment" is especially appropriate when discussing a 302. If I remember correctly they cause problems with the air cleaner on those engines.

Hi Chris, my truck is also a 1984 F150 with original 302, but my truck was a factory DSII truck. I don't think we got the feedback systems up here in Canada...we went straight from DSII to EFI. If there were feedback systems up here, I've never seen one.

Good luck with the build/rehab of the truck. The lowly 302 gets a bit of a bad rap as a truck engine, but they are still a great little engine with loads and loads of aftermarket support.

Hi Chris, my truck is also a 1984 F150 with original 302, but my truck was a factory DSII truck. I don't think we got the feedback systems up here in Canada...we went straight from DSII to EFI. If there were feedback systems up here, I've never seen one.

Good luck with the build/rehab of the truck. The lowly 302 gets a bit of a bad rap as a truck engine, but they are still a great little engine with loads and loads of aftermarket support.

Slap in the DS II. I can't tell you about the visual inspection on emissions but the tailpipe test surely isn't getting passed now as is if there is testing. There isn't any where I live. Even if there isn't remember it is surely not running it's best to say the least. A thought on the visual check, wasn't that era of trucks built with either the DS II or the FB system? If so couldn't one change over not just the ignition but also the emissions sticker on the core support? It seems to me if done like that, it would not only take care of a visual inspection in your area if there is one, but save some future owner down the road a headache as well.

Slap in the DS II. I can't tell you about the visual inspection on emissions but the tailpipe test surely isn't getting passed now as is if there is testing. There isn't any where I live. Even if there isn't remember it is surely not running it's best to say the least. A thought on the visual check, wasn't that era of trucks built with either the DS II or the FB system? If so couldn't one change over not just the ignition but also the emissions sticker on the core support? It seems to me if done like that, it would not only take care of a visual inspection in your area if there is one, but save some future owner down the road a headache as well.

The 351 H.O. had a 4V and Duraspark II.

But they're going by the VIN, not some sticker on the radiator support.

These vehicles have aged out of inspection in CT but I don't know about NY State.