Bullnose Forums

Fuel Injection upgrade

Don't miss that you can drill the spot welds out on the part of the snorkel where the droop is, reposition it, and either tack them back or braze them back. That's how I got the droop I wanted.

Also, the different snorkels have different offsets, meaning how much angle they take as they exit the air cleaner's base. And you can adjust that to some extent with the spot welds drilled out.

True, you did take and flip the base over to elevate the droop some as well as provide some tilt to move the snorkel back some.

Even if I put the PCV up in the front and my breather in the back I do want enough room so I can actually get to the pcv and remove it from the valve cover for oil changes. The passenger side rear on my truck with 31x10.50-15 tires and the fact I plan to install 2 1/2" taller coil springs in the front to level my truck out, it will be a pita to fill the crank case on the passengerside. I also dont like the thought of pulling an aircleaner off just to add oil but if I have to I will do that. But realistically I would like to try and keep the pcv in the back so I can connect it to the brake booster port on the rear to avoid the IAC so I dont gum it up over time by pulling crank case fumes through the IAC.

I did find this reasonably priced one its for a 460 as the listing stated.

s-l1600_(10).thumb.jpg.b2f9aff4727798c20f7ab354d88014ce.jpg

s-l1600_(16).thumb.jpg.daacc6128084fe28ede9d1ca814f7922.jpg

The lid is dinged pretty bad on the corner but the rest looks pretty nice. Just missing the plastic clip on the underside of the aircleaner for the vacuum lines. I just need to see if those are still around. If so I may pick this one up as its under $300 but still a bit pricy considering id have to source another lid and those lids I see go for around $125 - $150.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't miss that you can drill the spot welds out on the part of the snorkel where the droop is, reposition it, and either tack them back or braze them back. That's how I got the droop I wanted.

Also, the different snorkels have different offsets, meaning how much angle they take as they exit the air cleaner's base. And you can adjust that to some extent with the spot welds drilled out.

Gary, you said the 5.0 and 5.8 HO air cleaners had a steel base?

I found a steal of a price, $175 for a mustang dual snorkel air cleaner with snorkels but the inside looks quite rusty so not sure if its a rotted out piece or if its just dirt and grime laying on the inside.

Gary, you said the 5.0 and 5.8 HO air cleaners had a steel base?

I found a steal of a price, $175 for a mustang dual snorkel air cleaner with snorkels but the inside looks quite rusty so not sure if its a rotted out piece or if its just dirt and grime laying on the inside.

Yes, all of the HO and 460 air cleaners I've seen have a steel base. Hope that one works for you.

Yes, all of the HO and 460 air cleaners I've seen have a steel base. Hope that one works for you.

Thanks, this is the one I found for a lot less.

s-l1600_(17).thumb.jpg.d53dd198c5e6e67d346911a97d11e01b.jpg

Just on the inside it looks like it could be possibly rust or just dirt/grime. I hope its just dirt/grime cause it is still a pricy aircleaner. Like wise hopefully the snorkels arent too short they look awfully short.

s-l1600_(18).thumb.jpg.30876eb5e933269fc885fead89c5ebbc.jpg

But $175 is better than $300+

Thanks, this is the one I found for a lot less.

Just on the inside it looks like it could be possibly rust or just dirt/grime. I hope its just dirt/grime cause it is still a pricy aircleaner. Like wise hopefully the snorkels arent too short they look awfully short.

But $175 is better than $300+

It doesn't look too bad.

As for the snorkels, all of the snorkels I've tried have the same bolt pattern. So you can take one off of a 300's air cleaner or a 460, or anything in between and bolt it on.

It doesn't look too bad.

As for the snorkels, all of the snorkels I've tried have the same bolt pattern. So you can take one off of a 300's air cleaner or a 460, or anything in between and bolt it on.

I got the one on my truck I am going to try and see if it seems like my truck one fits better then I will just have to source another snorkel like off my truck. But the part number for 80/86 F150/250 trucks is a E0PZ-9A626-A and the photos online I found show a shorty snout which doesnt look like my truck one.

Looking at the photos honestly it looks like what the difference is, isnt the snorkel itself but the adapter piece that the snorkel is spot welded to. The ones here on this aircleaner are short stubby adapters where mine on my truck are considerably longer.

Maybe if I just wait I might be able to find something I could salvage. Maybe I can check that old '84/'85 F150 at work that we did a motor on that no one has paid a bill on it yet. its been sitting so long I could take and rob the air cleaner off it as it is a 351W with a 4V carb. might have the same exact adapter as my truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the one on my truck I am going to try and see if it seems like my truck one fits better then I will just have to source another snorkel like off my truck. But the part number for 80/86 F150/250 trucks is a E0PZ-9A626-A and the photos online I found show a shorty snout which doesnt look like my truck one.

Looking at the photos honestly it looks like what the difference is, isnt the snorkel itself but the adapter piece that the snorkel is spot welded to. The ones here on this aircleaner are short stubby adapters where mine on my truck are considerably longer.

Maybe if I just wait I might be able to find something I could salvage. Maybe I can check that old '84/'85 F150 at work that we did a motor on that no one has paid a bill on it yet. its been sitting so long I could take and rob the air cleaner off it as it is a 351W with a 4V carb. might have the same exact adapter as my truck.

Went ahead and decided on my charge system upgrade, going with 130A 3G and not going to make changes. I already finalized it where I cant make a change as I already bought a couple voltage regulators to try.

First one I got is a NOS Motorcraft one by a part number of F4ZZ-10C359-AA with GR822 on the box. This is listed as a soft start white regulator with a 2 second soft start. second one I also just bought a Motorcraft F5RZ-10316-A with GR818 on the box. This one I read online from US Autoelectric that its a 3G alternator Regulator that replaces many part numbers and application numbers. It is listed as a white regulator with a 14.7V set point but it says its a soft start regulator with a 10 second load response.

If the way I am understanding it the 10 second load response may be better for me as it takes 2 to 2.5 seconds for the sniper to boot up and prime for easy starting so a 10 second load response if it is soft starting for 10 seconds would work better for me than a 2 second variant.

I figured I will try each one and see which one works better for me.

I also placed a belt interchange request with GoodYear sales to see which Torque-Flex V belt will be a interchange for a Gates 9520 and Gates 7380 belts. From their tech page it appears these are on par with the old Gatorback V belts that were amazing.

Next step is to find a lower amperage fuse, the free fuse holder I got with a free 175A fuse is way too high. Thinking of looking for something around 140A as I dont believe I would ever reach 140A output unless the alternator failed and went full field.

Went ahead and decided on my charge system upgrade, going with 130A 3G and not going to make changes. I already finalized it where I cant make a change as I already bought a couple voltage regulators to try.

First one I got is a NOS Motorcraft one by a part number of F4ZZ-10C359-AA with GR822 on the box. This is listed as a soft start white regulator with a 2 second soft start. second one I also just bought a Motorcraft F5RZ-10316-A with GR818 on the box. This one I read online from US Autoelectric that its a 3G alternator Regulator that replaces many part numbers and application numbers. It is listed as a white regulator with a 14.7V set point but it says its a soft start regulator with a 10 second load response.

If the way I am understanding it the 10 second load response may be better for me as it takes 2 to 2.5 seconds for the sniper to boot up and prime for easy starting so a 10 second load response if it is soft starting for 10 seconds would work better for me than a 2 second variant.

I figured I will try each one and see which one works better for me.

I also placed a belt interchange request with GoodYear sales to see which Torque-Flex V belt will be a interchange for a Gates 9520 and Gates 7380 belts. From their tech page it appears these are on par with the old Gatorback V belts that were amazing.

Next step is to find a lower amperage fuse, the free fuse holder I got with a free 175A fuse is way too high. Thinking of looking for something around 140A as I dont believe I would ever reach 140A output unless the alternator failed and went full field.

I've always seen these things listed as "F786-R" or other numbers.

But the engineering number on the ones I use is f5ru-10316-ba

IMG_20200822_153628.thumb.jpg.26f6a6316a6747bb9c903c0ec3a23852.jpg

Speaking of vendors, I use Rotating Electric Products for all my alternator and starter parts.

I can't say enough good things about their fulfillment and customer service.

It doesn't look too bad.

Looking at Rusty's photo, I'm beginning to think it's a shame dad's truck is not getting the HO air cleaner.

I remember looking for a matching typeface.... WAY back when.

I've always seen these things listed as "F786-R" or other numbers.

But the engineering number on the ones I use is f5ru-10316-ba

Speaking of vendors, I use Rotating Electric Products for all my alternator and starter parts.

I can't say enough good things about their fulfillment and customer service.

One of the ones I bought is an actual Motorcraft NOS one with the box. Box says One GR-818 F5RZ-10316-A Regulator. The regulator itself says F5RU-10316-BA.

The other one I purchsaed is a new Motorcraft one that has a GR-814 number and the regulator itself is F4ZU-10316-AC. This is the one that was listed as having a 2 second soft start. The other one didnt state it was a soft start but the electronic site I used for reference listed the other one as being a 10 second delay soft start.

I dont know if that is their version or if its the spec of all GR-818, but I bought both just to be safe and will try both to see which one works better. Plus they werent that expensive anyways, I was able to pick them up for $30 for the GR-814 and $21 for the GR-818.

Both of them came from Ebay since I was watching them on Ebay and they are new Motorcraft units not aftermarket replacements. Only thing is the Motorcraft NOS one in the box the GR-818 it doesnt have the brush holder but even when you buy aftermarket replacements they dont come with the brush holders either so I should be able to reuse the brush holder from my new 3G when I get it and just swap the regulator out.