Bullnose Forums

Holley 4160 carburetor compatibility questions

I think phenolic spacers help, but as pointed out the EGR adapter/spacer will get really hot.

That's why these things are cast iron, and not aluminum.

Anything you can do to keep the carb cooler is a positive step.

I'm also going to suggest you source a genuine Ford/Motorcraft gasket for between the intake and EGR spacer.

The revised gasket (E8TZ) is a pink rubbery material and they don't burn out nearly as quickly as the foil ones.

I used to have a bunch of these, but have shared them with forum members over the past decade.

I can get the part number in the morning.

She lives! Longer studs and a half inch phenolic spacer did the trick, and I was real careful not to damage the EGR gasket. I plugged off some of the stock vacuum lines and routed a hose straight from the vacuum advance to full manifold vacuum at the base of the carb. I also got one of those banjo fuel inlets. I jury rigged the throttle cable with some zip ties at the pedal to shorten it up. I got the floats and idle mixes adjusted, drove it around all day, and now its running the best it has since I've owned it. I'll have to make some permanent solutions to the vacuum lines and the throttle cable, but that will be a task for another day.

She lives! Longer studs and a half inch phenolic spacer did the trick, and I was real careful not to damage the EGR gasket. I plugged off some of the stock vacuum lines and routed a hose straight from the vacuum advance to full manifold vacuum at the base of the carb. I also got one of those banjo fuel inlets. I jury rigged the throttle cable with some zip ties at the pedal to shorten it up. I got the floats and idle mixes adjusted, drove it around all day, and now its running the best it has since I've owned it. I'll have to make some permanent solutions to the vacuum lines and the throttle cable, but that will be a task for another day.

Congrat's!!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the throttle cable, if the issue is too much slack before the throttle starts moving, I've cut the bracket in half, played with it until I got the right amount of slack, vice gripped it together, and then welded it up.

I think phenolic spacers help, but as pointed out the EGR adapter/spacer will get really hot.

That's why these things are cast iron, and not aluminum.

Anything you can do to keep the carb cooler is a positive step.

I'm also going to suggest you source a genuine Ford/Motorcraft gasket for between the intake and EGR spacer.

The revised gasket (E8TZ) is a pink rubbery material and they don't burn out nearly as quickly as the foil ones.

I used to have a bunch of these, but have shared them with forum members over the past decade.

I can get the part number in the morning.

Glad you've got it running! :nabble_smiley_good:

Still odd that you seem to have too much slack. What do you find on the pedal end of the cable?

Just a note for posterity.

The correct EGR spacer gasket is E8TE-9447-AA

Glad you've got it running! :nabble_smiley_good:

Still odd that you seem to have too much slack. What do you find on the pedal end of the cable?

Just a note for posterity.

The correct EGR spacer gasket is E8TE-9447-AA

When I got my 86 it had a lot of slop in the pedal to the point where you were fighting the carpet. This was even after a PO had bent the top of the pedal out a bit to help. I don't have the problem anymore but changed too much to know why. If it was still a problem though I was going to find a brass sleeve that could be slid over the cable at the pedal end and then crimped enough to keep it there. This would kick the pedal up higher and eliminate the play. Again, never did it so just in theory.

When I got my 86 it had a lot of slop in the pedal to the point where you were fighting the carpet. This was even after a PO had bent the top of the pedal out a bit to help. I don't have the problem anymore but changed too much to know why. If it was still a problem though I was going to find a brass sleeve that could be slid over the cable at the pedal end and then crimped enough to keep it there. This would kick the pedal up higher and eliminate the play. Again, never did it so just in theory.

I just bought one of those universal throttle cables and some return springs, one of these days I'll rig it up properly