Bullnose Forums

Holley 4160 carburetor compatibility questions

I'm new to all of this so bear with me, but I recently purchased an 85 F250 with a 460. I'm in the process of swapping carburetors from what I believe is a 4180c to a rebuilt holley 4160 with an electric choke. My first question is if anyone knows of a throttle cable bracket that works with this carburetor, or if I will have to get a new throttle cable. Second question is about the vacuum hoses. I'm planning on replacing all of the vacuum hoses and I don't know if I should replace in the exact configuration on the diagram or if I should have a line that goes from the distributor straight to the metering block. Last question is about wiring the electric choke, I'm not sure where I should splice it to. Here's a few pictures of where I'm at.

carb.thumb.jpg.43a757505f1a666888d8cd867c557d7c.jpg

tcb1.jpg.ba7a93400055ec9e74ca5006c1aeb72d.jpg

Here's the current throttle cable bracket, also the old carb had the Air Conditioning compensator which unfortunatly was incompatible with the new carb.

vac_diagram.thumb.jpg.0b43e275307c968c6e6bf017af8dec8a.jpg

This is the vacuum diagram

Not sure what it came off of, I bought it from a shop that rebuilds them.

Frank, I have a 4160 0-08457s that's been on my truck.

You need the proper throttle ball stud arm, and the vacuum advance should go to the Thermal Vacuum Switch on the water neck.

That switch should have manifold vacuum to both sides, and a small plastic vacuum restriction in one of those manifold sources.

I can pull it down and post some pics in the morning (not like I have anywhere else to be :nabble_smiley_unhappy:)

I don't have a 460, but I did install a new Holley 4160 on my 302. I bought the kit below, and my stock throttle cable and bracket worked just fine. I forget which one fit exactly, but one of them was perfect for the Ford cable.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/brackets_and_linkage/parts/20-2

I did also install a 1" spacer under the 4160, which lifted it up to about the same height as the original carb (which was on top of an EGR spacer).

I connected the Holley electric choke to the original electric choke wire on the truck, although a lot of people say not to do this. You'll have to read up on that one and make your own decision. There have been a few discussions on here on ways to get the correct power to the carb. I think an oil pressure switch is a good one.

I don't have a 460, but I did install a new Holley 4160 on my 302. I bought the kit below, and my stock throttle cable and bracket worked just fine. I forget which one fit exactly, but one of them was perfect for the Ford cable.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/brackets_and_linkage/parts/20-2

I did also install a 1" spacer under the 4160, which lifted it up to about the same height as the original carb (which was on top of an EGR spacer).

I connected the Holley electric choke to the original electric choke wire on the truck, although a lot of people say not to do this. You'll have to read up on that one and make your own decision. There have been a few discussions on here on ways to get the correct power to the carb. I think an oil pressure switch is a good one.

I just swapped the Motorcraft single bullet connector choke cap onto my new Holley.

Done! 😁

The parts interchange.

What's the build # on the carb you bought?

You can find the build and date code on the front of the choke horn.

Mine is an 1850-3, the AC throttle kicker doesn't line up with any of the flanges on the lever. As for the throttle linkage, the ball that is on there is not perfect but the cable snaps on snugly and lines up okay. The issue is that the spring on the cable needs to be depressed quite a bit to link up resulting in a loose cable at the pedal.

throtlink.jpg.220f43c1ec26c292385e7ad80ae7bda2.jpg

throtcable.jpg.164073ba74145e93c94416a2f94d2660.jpg