Bullnose Forums

"Cam's Ol' Blue"- 1986 F-150 Base Ex-State of Oregon

thefraze_1020

Yes, the wire to be grounded is out on the fender liner. And it is grounded by the engine harness, the one that has the ignition, oil pressure, and coolant temp wires in it.

And I agree about the radio. It may not have been working. I'd bench test it and the clock.

Ok, I see my problem here, and I apologize for the bad information, Cameron. :nabble_smiley_blush:

1477349_orig.jpg.8d1e99dcab225d218f8785a573270186.jpg

It must be that I've seen the post on the back that says (GND-8) on clusters before, and not being too concious that an I-6 (300) has a different engine harness.

If the I-6 doesn't have the bk-lg and dg-y wires, where does it get its tach signal from?

Ok, I see my problem here, and I apologize for the bad information, Cameron. :nabble_smiley_blush:

It must be that I've seen the post on the back that says (GND-8) on clusters before, and not being too concious that an I-6 (300) has a different engine harness.

If the I-6 doesn't have the bk-lg and dg-y wires, where does it get its tach signal from?

Both engines, meaning the six cylinder engines and V8 engines, get the tach signal via the DG/Y wire. But only the V8's have the Bk/LG wire back to the tach that tells it it is an 8.

What I'm not clear on is just exactly what part of that page is the "engine harness". May have to do some looking.....

1985-etm-page27.thumb.jpg.386d16f4e9ad44e85a2664d6564c10eb.jpg

Both engines, meaning the six cylinder engines and V8 engines, get the tach signal via the DG/Y wire. But only the V8's have the Bk/LG wire back to the tach that tells it it is an 8.

What I'm not clear on is just exactly what part of that page is the "engine harness". May have to do some looking.....

I need to say that differently. All of the cab harnii have the Bk/LG wire to the tach. But the V8's don't put a ground on it.

I asked that question because of the EVTM page in your tutorial where both of those wires were labeled V-8 only.

4041894.jpg.b76ca118c4486f44bf02424225c83a7f.jpg

It is not hard to identify the connectors.

Then you know exactly where the harness breaks are.

I asked that question because of the EVTM page in your tutorial where both of those wires were labeled V-8 only.

It is not hard to identify the connectors.

Then you know exactly where the harness breaks are.

So, I guess the illustration in your tutorial is mislabeled.

Lol, not the only ooops in an EVTM.

Leave it to me and my pedantic, literal observations to find that. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

So, I guess the illustration in your tutorial is mislabeled.

Lol, not the only ooops in an EVTM.

Leave it to me and my pedantic, literal observations to find that. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

You found an error in the 1986 EVTM. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've now changed the page on Tach's to show the 1985 EVTM's page, and have crossed out and indicated that the 1986 EVTM is wrong there. But want to leave the error so we could see it.

Here are the two side by side, and it is obvious:

1985-etm-page27.thumb.jpg.db6399a0dd4ff7c34c07c23df8c180d9.jpg1986-bronco-f150-350-evtmjpg-page28-wrong_orig.thumb.jpg.819b427903e1a07ad380f7f0be2fcdf0.jpg

You found an error in the 1986 EVTM. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've now changed the page on Tach's to show the 1985 EVTM's page, and have crossed out and indicated that the 1986 EVTM is wrong there. But want to leave the error so we could see it.

Here are the two side by side, and it is obvious:

Certainly YOU found it, Gary.

I just pointed it out...

This is a trait that many people hate about me.

It's not like I'm trying to rub anyone's nose in it.

I just have a keen sense of the incongruous.

I'm "special", and that's not always bad.

Certainly YOU found it, Gary.

I just pointed it out...

This is a trait that many people hate about me.

It's not like I'm trying to rub anyone's nose in it.

I just have a keen sense of the incongruous.

I'm "special", and that's not always bad.

I think "special" is good. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, we are gradually getting not only the most documentation but the most correct documentation.

I think "special" is good. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, we are gradually getting not only the most documentation but the most correct documentation.

Is it possible that there is a bad connection from the gauge terminal posts through the nuts to the printed circuit on the back of the cluster?

Also, should I leave off the nut for the post that says "8"?

By ignition module, I'm assuming you guys are talking about the TFI mounted to the distributor. It appears that it has been replaced at one point with a Standard Ignition part, but looks just like an OEM part.

From the TFI to the coil all the way to the firewall, I do not see any wires damaged or cut.

Is it possible that there is a bad connection from the gauge terminal posts through the nuts to the printed circuit on the back of the cluster?

Also, should I leave off the nut for the post that says "8"?

By ignition module, I'm assuming you guys are talking about the TFI mounted to the distributor. It appears that it has been replaced at one point with a Standard Ignition part, but looks just like an OEM part.

From the TFI to the coil all the way to the firewall, I do not see any wires damaged or cut.

And as for that page from the 1986 EVTM, my truck is an EEC-IV, not a Duraspark. Does that make any difference?