Bullnose Forums

"Cam's Ol' Blue"- 1986 F-150 Base Ex-State of Oregon

thefraze_1020

Excellent work and reporting! :nabble_smiley_good:

I did the vary same thing other than cracking the housing today on my truck and I changed the oil also.

And all my parts came from NAPA too LOL

I hope my oil sender (and temp) last more than a few months as the oil one was new when I got the motor running not long ago.

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

I did the vary same thing other than cracking the housing today on my truck and I changed the oil also.

And all my parts came from NAPA too LOL

I hope my oil sender (and temp) last more than a few months as the oil one was new when I got the motor running not long ago.

Dave ----

It's been a hot second since I posted last, since I've been busy working and trying to sell my house, dodging people looking at my house.

Anyway, after buttoning up the thermostat and housing, I drove the truck for a few days and found it running really hot. The temperature would stay between the "L" in "normal" and the line under the "H". I asked my father-in-law what he thought, and he figured the radiator was clogged. So, I spent one of my days off working on that. I bought a bottle of radiator flush at NAPA. Drained the radiator, filled it back up with the flush and water. I run the truck for a while to operating temp with the heater on fully, then drained again and ran the engine with the drain cock open and spraying the hose through the radiator.

I never noticed anything nasty coming out the radiator, but I kept spraying until a flushed all the coolant out. Then I refilled the coolant. Since then, the temperature has been usually hanging out between the "M" and "L" in "normal". I'm more comfortable with that.

It's been a hot second since I posted last, since I've been busy working and trying to sell my house, dodging people looking at my house.

Anyway, after buttoning up the thermostat and housing, I drove the truck for a few days and found it running really hot. The temperature would stay between the "L" in "normal" and the line under the "H". I asked my father-in-law what he thought, and he figured the radiator was clogged. So, I spent one of my days off working on that. I bought a bottle of radiator flush at NAPA. Drained the radiator, filled it back up with the flush and water. I run the truck for a while to operating temp with the heater on fully, then drained again and ran the engine with the drain cock open and spraying the hose through the radiator.

I never noticed anything nasty coming out the radiator, but I kept spraying until a flushed all the coolant out. Then I refilled the coolant. Since then, the temperature has been usually hanging out between the "M" and "L" in "normal". I'm more comfortable with that.

Sounds like you got it cleaned out, which is good. But should you have another problem like that you might use an IR thermometer on the thermostat housing.

Luckily in Washington, wrecking yards are still open, being an "essential business". So, about a week ago, my wife and I took a trip to the wrecking yard for various parts. I found a really nice 1985 F-250 XLT Lariat with the 6.9 diesel in it, that I pulled a bunch of parts from.

The first thing I pulled was the delayed wiper switch, relay and wiring:

20200407_105920.jpg.58d3bf0ebc0966c72acb5f2e79aa8653.jpg

I have since swapped that into my truck thanks to the fantastic write-up in the "Documentation" section, and now I have working intermittent wipers.

Luckily in Washington, wrecking yards are still open, being an "essential business". So, about a week ago, my wife and I took a trip to the wrecking yard for various parts. I found a really nice 1985 F-250 XLT Lariat with the 6.9 diesel in it, that I pulled a bunch of parts from.

The first thing I pulled was the delayed wiper switch, relay and wiring:

I have since swapped that into my truck thanks to the fantastic write-up in the "Documentation" section, and now I have working intermittent wipers.

The same donor truck had what looked like brand new Sylvania Xtravision headlights, so I pulled those as well and swapped em into my truck.

20200407_101948.jpg.0b9893acbf104ad55030b009f529bd0b.jpg20200407_101952.jpg.5279ff26115dd4334c4a9ad2b3a51cd0.jpg

20200407_104357.jpg.c2715dfa298434f2c6dd94fb8a3bcb3d.jpg20200407_104535.jpg.ae5b079d12eb5b2b163eadcbc4bc1fdb.jpg

20200407_105340.jpg.2e56ff4014f6e3285b8a55772f4d395e.jpg

The same donor truck had what looked like brand new Sylvania Xtravision headlights, so I pulled those as well and swapped em into my truck.

The parking brake on my truck was not engaging, so since I have a sloped driveway, I have been blocking the back wheels for the past month. I pulled the parking brake pedal assembly and the cable back to the equalizer out of the same wrecking yard truck.

I later swapped the parts into my truck, and now my parking brake works. Boy that was a job.20200407_112442.jpg.f5e3abdf3514fab59e93c94317d9a9c5.jpg

While working on my truck, I took the opportunity to pull the instrument cluster and replace a few bulbs. I had not seen the "emissions" light, the brake light or seat belt light, so I replaced all three bulbs and cleaned the heck out of the back of my cluster. Of course, as soon as I popped a new bulb into the "emissions" spot, it came on (I'm thinking likely just the inferred mileage thing where it comes on after 60,000 miles). So, I pulled the little black box behind the dash to reset the light, and pressing the reset button wasn't working so I pulled the little chip out of the black box and finally got the reset button to shut off the emissions light. For simplicity, I just shoved the chip back under the dash. If my emissions light ever comes on again, I will just reach back and hit the reset button.

20200402_110648.jpg.824b7e22c75486b61d1a34b53ff8674a.jpg20200402_110719.jpg.764cc996040b5c17f7010f9cf2631bea.jpg

20200402_111828.jpg.c35199795f24bd98c00c82bb556ba99e.jpg20200402_111837.jpg.f98bbf6eb0204477655b400af0fe1ea9.jpg

The parking brake on my truck was not engaging, so since I have a sloped driveway, I have been blocking the back wheels for the past month. I pulled the parking brake pedal assembly and the cable back to the equalizer out of the same wrecking yard truck.

I later swapped the parts into my truck, and now my parking brake works. Boy that was a job.

While working on my truck, I took the opportunity to pull the instrument cluster and replace a few bulbs. I had not seen the "emissions" light, the brake light or seat belt light, so I replaced all three bulbs and cleaned the heck out of the back of my cluster. Of course, as soon as I popped a new bulb into the "emissions" spot, it came on (I'm thinking likely just the inferred mileage thing where it comes on after 60,000 miles). So, I pulled the little black box behind the dash to reset the light, and pressing the reset button wasn't working so I pulled the little chip out of the black box and finally got the reset button to shut off the emissions light. For simplicity, I just shoved the chip back under the dash. If my emissions light ever comes on again, I will just reach back and hit the reset button.

A couple days ago, I got really bored. Long story short, I burned through an entire bottle of Meguiar's heavy cut wax. I realize that my paint is in really bad shape, but I will admit that after buffing out my truck by hand with paper towels, the remaining paint really cleans up nicely! 20200411_121821.jpg.b194da86dddd9d8d4d0be8195ca52ead.jpg20200411_123206.jpg.3d83a779fa5cc9d2258c2e222347b221.jpg

On my to-do list next is to remove the aftermarket radio I can't stand and put in an AM/FM/cassette factory radio. I like the look of the 1980-84 style radios better, but if I get a 1985-86 DIN style, I can just reuse my existing bezel, which is in very good shape. That will be a wrecking yard trip again. I also want to swap my cluster for a tach cluster, but I will swap my speedo/odo into that cluster to maintain the correct mileage.

Also, I have to replace the windshield rearview mirror, and the passenger side door mirror is cracked. I think I will most likely find another black mirror, because eventually, I want to paint them flat gray, to match the bumpers.

Finally, I plan to buy a saddle blanket seat cover. I have been trying to figure out what color to get. I think I have settled on gray. It's a contrast to the blue interior, and it matches the grey bezels on the dash.

A couple days ago, I got really bored. Long story short, I burned through an entire bottle of Meguiar's heavy cut wax. I realize that my paint is in really bad shape, but I will admit that after buffing out my truck by hand with paper towels, the remaining paint really cleans up nicely!

On my to-do list next is to remove the aftermarket radio I can't stand and put in an AM/FM/cassette factory radio. I like the look of the 1980-84 style radios better, but if I get a 1985-86 DIN style, I can just reuse my existing bezel, which is in very good shape. That will be a wrecking yard trip again. I also want to swap my cluster for a tach cluster, but I will swap my speedo/odo into that cluster to maintain the correct mileage.

Also, I have to replace the windshield rearview mirror, and the passenger side door mirror is cracked. I think I will most likely find another black mirror, because eventually, I want to paint them flat gray, to match the bumpers.

Finally, I plan to buy a saddle blanket seat cover. I have been trying to figure out what color to get. I think I have settled on gray. It's a contrast to the blue interior, and it matches the grey bezels on the dash.

You are on a ROLL! Well done!

I was just looking at Big Blue's paint yesterday thinking "I really need to buff that out." Then I realized I need an exhaust system, transfer case & driveshafts, cooling system, etc more. So I guess the paint will have to wait. :nabble_smiley_sad:

You are on a ROLL! Well done!

I was just looking at Big Blue's paint yesterday thinking "I really need to buff that out." Then I realized I need an exhaust system, transfer case & driveshafts, cooling system, etc more. So I guess the paint will have to wait. :nabble_smiley_sad:

My wife has said multiple times things along the lines of "boy that paint sure is ugly" or "the truck is a little beat up, dontcha think?"

I treat my truck like my tractor. I really don't care what it looks like right now. I will make the best with what I have (hence buffing it out). But my main concern is making sure it runs and drives well and everything works as it's spose to. So Gary, I am right there with ya.