Bullnose Forums

"Cam's Ol' Blue"- 1986 F-150 Base Ex-State of Oregon

thefraze_1020

Hi guys,

I just posted my introduction post, and Gary suggested I start a thread about my truck project, so here goes...

I present what I am calling "Cam's Ol' Blue". I already have a 1992 F-250, so that will become "Big Red".

This truck I bought about three weeks ago from the state of Oregon. It was listed on GovDeals, and somehow I convinced my wife to bid on it, even though I already have a truck. I think the big thing that pushed her was that I mentioned we can use two trucks to move all our stuff soon when our house sells. That's pretty much what's on her mind right now- moving.

Anyway, here is the original listing (hopefully it works):

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemID=3842&acctID=5859

Somehow I was the winning bidder and after fees, I paid about $1,150. On a Friday, we left our house at 7:00am for the drive to Salem, OR (we live between Burlington and Bellingham, WA). Arriving at 3:00 at the state warehouse in Salem, I signed the paperwork, they gave me the keys and the original title from June, 1986, and we were on our way.

A little detail about the truck. It is a 1986 F-150 base model. One side has the "4x2" emblem, the other side is missing. I think at some point I am going to get rid of the remaining "4x2" emblem. It is "Light Regatta Blue" with the medium blue interior. 300 (4.9L) straight six with the feedback carb. C-6 automatic. No cruise, no A/C, no tilt steering. Manual locks, crank windows, but it does have power steering!

Bringing the truck home over the next two days, the worst mishap I had was losing the power steering pump cap randomly on a road west of Chehalis, WA. Luckily, the NAPA in Chehalis had one left on the shelf. Otherwise, it made it home without any issues.

Inspecting everything, I am finding that I am not a fan of the aftermarket stereo, since it doesn't have AM. The parking brake will not lock, the factory oil pressure gauge doesn't read, so it was replaced with an aftermarket gauge. The temp gauge doesn't read, but I tested and found out that the gauge works. I will eventually replace the sender and thermostat. I need a passenger side mirror and a windshield mirror. The dash is shot, the seat needs a cover. The blue oval fell off the grille. It has lots of surface rust and a few small dents. But I can't find any cancer rust.

The engine starts right up every time, and runs strong. However, the idle is a little rough and the engine is covered in oil. This leads me to believe the main seals are leaking, leaking valve cover gasket or both. This truck is loud inside since it needs weatherstripping, but it rides really smooth. Lots of fun!

Right now, I am making this truck my daily driver. It doesn't need much right now, but eventually I plan to add a tach, clean up the engine, put an original radio with cassette in it, clean up the interior, add a HAM radio/ scanner, and of course paint.

Cameron

20200328_160359.jpg.2c500503bd635a433de87a7fc5b6847d.jpg

20200328_160418.jpg.773b82398f2e0c422f6cb62e5bc65bbf.jpg

Looks great! An excellent starting point, and a good solid truck.

Could you do me a favor and put your name in your signature? I like calling people by their names as it makes it a lot more personal. But it is your call.

Scott: I am going to repaint it the same color. I really like the original color.

Gary: Done, good idea!

Nice!

Welcome Cameron. :nabble_waving_orig:

Follows my keep it simple ideal

I had a friend Alex, who bought the brother (sister?) truck of yours from the water department here 15-20 years ago.

Powder blue, 300-6, 3.08's (i think), 2wd, manual everything but brakes.

Seems a very popular fleet package of the time.