Bullnose Forums

New member from Nebraska...

Yes, you are more than welcome to add me to the map, though I don't actually own one (yet).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to be spending some time doing some reading here and will keep that in mind. I'm going to wait on some of my newbie questions until I at least read what you've got here first, to prevent others from telling me to do so. ;)

As for the transmission, I'm open to either a manual or standard, though if there were one of each side by side in equal condition for equal price, I'd probably choose the automatic. And I'm thinking I'd rather have a gas engine, not diesel.

I'd also open to location. A few years ago when I was shopping for my '75 Supercab, I had a pretty specific list of features I wanted it to have, and looked for almost two years before I found that one on E-bay. It had everything I was looking for..well, except for the color, I was hoping for blue, but I decided to pull the trigger anyway and hope it grew on me. It has. It was located in Wisconsin, so my wife and kids and I made a mini-vacation out of driving up to get it and bringing it home. If it's within a state or two I'd be happy driving it. If it's halfway across the country, I'm not sure.

You are now on the map. Doesn't matter that you don't have one. We have several members who don't currently have one, and even one of our admins doesn't.

And nobody is going to tell you to go read before asking. That's not what we do. But we might point you to a thread or a page that has the info for which you are looking.

On the transmission, for an automatic Ford only put the C6 in a F250HD or 350. In the manuals, the 460 and IDI got the T-19 while the smaller engines got the T-18, neither of which have an OD gear. But, a ZF5 is a popular upgrade, and that gives a lower granny gear as well as an OD top gear.

Yes, you are more than welcome to add me to the map, though I don't actually own one (yet).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to be spending some time doing some reading here and will keep that in mind. I'm going to wait on some of my newbie questions until I at least read what you've got here first, to prevent others from telling me to do so. ;)

As for the transmission, I'm open to either a manual or standard, though if there were one of each side by side in equal condition for equal price, I'd probably choose the automatic. And I'm thinking I'd rather have a gas engine, not diesel.

I'd also open to location. A few years ago when I was shopping for my '75 Supercab, I had a pretty specific list of features I wanted it to have, and looked for almost two years before I found that one on E-bay. It had everything I was looking for..well, except for the color, I was hoping for blue, but I decided to pull the trigger anyway and hope it grew on me. It has. It was located in Wisconsin, so my wife and kids and I made a mini-vacation out of driving up to get it and bringing it home. If it's within a state or two I'd be happy driving it. If it's halfway across the country, I'm not sure.

The unfortunate thing about the C6 is that it is very good at turning power into heat.

There's no lockup, and if you're towing heavy there's going to be a lot of slip.

They are very stout though, and if you do your job with a proper cooler will last just fine.

Mileage suffers, but if you've got a 460 you better not be concerned about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the group sir

With all of the talk about towing I wouldent walk away from a pickup with a 5.0 EFI and an AOD trans. I have towed with mine several times. A two horse trailer and a 16 foot car trailer with a 73 Riviera from California back to AZ. It wasent a barn burner in the mountains but you could pull it out of overdrive and let her walk on up. Not to mention that my Bronco got 20 on the highway when not towing.

Just a thought

Welcome to the group sir

With all of the talk about towing I wouldent walk away from a pickup with a 5.0 EFI and an AOD trans. I have towed with mine several times. A two horse trailer and a 16 foot car trailer with a 73 Riviera from California back to AZ. It wasent a barn burner in the mountains but you could pull it out of overdrive and let her walk on up. Not to mention that my Bronco got 20 on the highway when not towing.

Just a thought

That's a good point. Our member Steve/FoxFord33 has a 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gears. He recently came over and tried out my heavy car hauler trailer and I was impressed by how well it towed it. In 3rd gear it accelerated up a steep hill very nicely.

And the AOD is similar to the E4OD, although 1st and 2nd are taller so starting wouldn't be as easy:

Gear AOD E4OD

1st: 2.4 2.71

2nd: 1.46 1.54

3rd: 1.00 1.00

O/D 0.67 0.71

I think the key is the rear gears.

That's a good point. Our member Steve/FoxFord33 has a 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gears. He recently came over and tried out my heavy car hauler trailer and I was impressed by how well it towed it. In 3rd gear it accelerated up a steep hill very nicely.

And the AOD is similar to the E4OD, although 1st and 2nd are taller so starting wouldn't be as easy:

Gear AOD E4OD

1st: 2.4 2.71

2nd: 1.46 1.54

3rd: 1.00 1.00

O/D 0.67 0.71

I think the key is the rear gears.

I was supprised to find on the tag in the door that mine is supposed to have 3.55 in the 8.8 and the front diff. 9H or H9 code. When the pinion bearings went bad a few years ago and I had to change the ring and pinion, found it has 3.08 gears in it. On my to do list in the future is to change it to the 3.55 front and rear. It might give the old girl a little more zip.

I was supprised to find on the tag in the door that mine is supposed to have 3.55 in the 8.8 and the front diff. 9H or H9 code. When the pinion bearings went bad a few years ago and I had to change the ring and pinion, found it has 3.08 gears in it. On my to do list in the future is to change it to the 3.55 front and rear. It might give the old girl a little more zip.

Better confirm what gears you have in the rear. Put both wheels in the air and turn the driveshaft while counting tire revolutions.

Better confirm what gears you have in the rear. Put both wheels in the air and turn the driveshaft while counting tire revolutions.

I know it has 3.08, I bought the gears off of the vin number at the local Ford dealer and had to take them back and swap them for the right ones. The parts counter guy was even scratching his head trying to figure it out.

We even did the tooth count and the math twice to conferm it. Then he found the part numbers on the ring and pinion and they were for 3.08 so that's what I put back in it so it would match front and rear.

It's not the first time I have ran into this kind of thing over the years and I am guessing it wont be the last time.

I know it has 3.08, I bought the gears off of the vin number at the local Ford dealer and had to take them back and swap them for the right ones. The parts counter guy was even scratching his head trying to figure it out.

We even did the tooth count and the math twice to conferm it. Then he found the part numbers on the ring and pinion and they were for 3.08 so that's what I put back in it so it would match front and rear.

It's not the first time I have ran into this kind of thing over the years and I am guessing it wont be the last time.

Ahhh, got it. Both are 3.08's. Yes, 3.55's will give you some more zing, but it'll hurt the MPG - unless you have an OD transmission, and I don't know as you don't have that in your signature. :nabble_smiley_wink: But 3.55's work nicely with an OD tranny.