Bullnose Forums

New Document & New Method Of Hosting It - Thoughts?

Clayton sent me a book entitled 1982 Engine Emissions Diagnosis that I scanned in today - all 740 pages. But as I pulled each page out of the book, gently, I saw what they contained and realized it is info we need to have easily accessed. And, when I tallied the numbers I realized that all up the scanned pages take up 316 Mb, which would take a long time to download if in one document.

Given that, I opted for a different approach to hosting it and I'd like your input on what I did. The approach is to host the individual sections of the book on separate pages. I've embedded the Contents page below, which has active links on it to the pages/sections of the document. And, it is also seen on Documentation/Literature/1982 Literature/1982 ENGINE EMISSIONS DIAGNOSIS. But the other pages are available via the menu under 1982 Engine Emissions Diagnosis.

Take a look at what's there, please. To me it is invaluable info that we are going to want to access. For instance, we were trying to explain how the PCV system works, but it is there. Want to know how the EGR system works? Yep, it is there. Someone asked how the air cleaner pieces work - and it is there. And probably how to pull the codes on the MCU as we were discussing.

So, what do you think about the way I've put it up? Better ideas?

Having it broken out is a great idea.

With the increased latency of late, even more so.

Sometimes, even the numerous pictures on a page will have me back arrow and reply by email.

(I will NEVER see what someone with a 30" monitor will)

So, it's a good solution for those of us with only a mobile (cell) connection.

Having it broken out is a great idea.

With the increased latency of late, even more so.

Sometimes, even the numerous pictures on a page will have me back arrow and reply by email.

(I will NEVER see what someone with a 30" monitor will)

So, it's a good solution for those of us with only a mobile (cell) connection.

Looks great Gary and as you said, a lot of valueble usefull information.

Very nice! Worked well.

Thanks, guys. I was really impressed by the contents and thought we ought to have easy access to them. And individual documents seemed the best way to do that. Glad you agree.

I still have a lot of details to work out. For instance, you have to click on the blue of the link rather than the white inside to get the link to work. And I need to include some of what is in each doc in the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) listing for each page so they get found easier.

But that scanner zipped through the pages very nicely. This would not have been possible with the old one.

Gary very impressive. Looks like there is a lot of detailed info in there. Do think other years (I have a 86 f150) will be available. Keep up the good work.How you holding up with this nasty virus thing. Thanks Gus.

Sent from my iPad

Holding up well, thanks for asking. Staying in and away from everyone, which gives me more "shop" time.As for an '86 version, I'm sure they are out there. But until Clayton sent me this one I didn't even know they existed.
Would some of you go check out the way I've done the hyperlinks? There are several options, most of which don't seem to help, but I think this one does. It seems reasonable that you have to click on the blue line. Yes?

Would some of you go check out the way I've done the hyperlinks? There are several options, most of which don't seem to help, but I think this one does. It seems reasonable that you have to click on the blue line. Yes?

Interesting! When I hit the link I got a message that said something like this page is trying to open a pop up, allow or deny.After allowing, it took awhile to load the pages after the first page.On my iPad. Edit: Gary, I’m seeing some “strange” things this morning, could be internet problems. So maybe take this with a grain of salt.Editx2: Tried it again and worked fine. Problem was my internet connection.

Looks good. Seems to work just fine. Only thing I can suggest for ease of use would be a link at the bottom of each section to take you to the next one if that's possible.

My favorite part of this manual is the emissions components. The top corner shows the symbol on the emissions sticker and that alone makes this worth it's weight in gold in my opinion.