Bullnose Forums

Starter mishap

Jim, 3/8-16 with a 1/2" AF washer head. Darth now has the later style with a 5/16-18 stud on the lower one for the ground cable.

Haven't had the issue (although will add it to my maint schedule also now) but for the top one why not put a longer bolt in with a nut and some blue loctite?

Haven't had the issue (although will add it to my maint schedule also now) but for the top one why not put a longer bolt in with a nut and some blue loctite?

Why not a self locking nut???

For me, because it's a big challenge to hold the bolt from the back while I try to get another wrench on the ridiculously long bolt that I just had to thread a minimum of 1 1/2" through the starter in order to get it tight in the first place.

Changing out the lower bolt worked fine, after I fixed the ruined threads in my bellhousing.

I'm tired of making more work for myself because I fear the slimmest chance that something might go wrong.

Even though there are (or were) millions upon millions of trucks that had no problem.

I'm going to leave that to Gary, because I can't even care about it until it's a bridge I have to cross.

Why not a self locking nut???

For me, because it's a big challenge to hold the bolt from the back while I try to get another wrench on the ridiculously long bolt that I just had to thread a minimum of 1 1/2" through the starter in order to get it tight in the first place.

Changing out the lower bolt worked fine, after I fixed the ruined threads in my bellhousing.

I'm tired of making more work for myself because I fear the slimmest chance that something might go wrong.

Even though there are (or were) millions upon millions of trucks that had no problem.

I'm going to leave that to Gary, because I can't even care about it until it's a bridge I have to cross.

So I haven't run my truck much since I had this problem with a loose starter. Took her out today for a quick drive and I think that that starter must have been working its way loose for awhile. Now that its tight it's not getting along with the ring gear on my flywheel. Starts but teeth are looking a bit chewed up and it's got a slight grind on occasion. Guessing I'll have to get the trans dropped and new ring gear/ starter and might as well replace the rear main seal while it's exposed. Everything was running so smooth till this :nabble_smiley_cry::nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

So I haven't run my truck much since I had this problem with a loose starter. Took her out today for a quick drive and I think that that starter must have been working its way loose for awhile. Now that its tight it's not getting along with the ring gear on my flywheel. Starts but teeth are looking a bit chewed up and it's got a slight grind on occasion. Guessing I'll have to get the trans dropped and new ring gear/ starter and might as well replace the rear main seal while it's exposed. Everything was running so smooth till this :nabble_smiley_cry::nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

It is a bummer when something like this happens. But the ring gear can be replaced on a flywheel. Not on the flexplate for an auto, but on a flywheel for a manual tranny. They just heat the ring gear up, press the old one off and new one on.