Bullnose Forums

Starter mishap

Did some work tuning my carb after installing a new exhaust. Quite a bit of start and stop of the motor. Got it dialed in and took her out for a test run. Got back to the house and a little more tuning. Turned the key and heard the most violent sound from motor and wouldn't start. Sounded like the crank was trying to rip it's way through the block. Crawled under to find my starter hanging on by one bolt only caught by a couple threads. Other bolt laying on the floor. Tightened them back up and fired up no prob. Guess I'll have to put checking the starter bolts on my regular maintenance schedule. Anyone else ever had this problem, it's a new one to me.

Never had that problem! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I've had a couple of vehicles over the years that would shake starter bolts out. I cleaned the bolts and the threads in the bell housing with brake clean and reinstalled with blue locktite and it seemed to cure the problem.

I've had a couple of vehicles over the years that would shake starter bolts out. I cleaned the bolts and the threads in the bell housing with brake clean and reinstalled with blue locktite and it seemed to cure the problem.

Being a 460, I've had to Helicoil the lower hole in my Zf's bellhousing. (The top bolt comes from the back into the starter itself)

It stays tight now that I can really crank on it.

Being a 460, I've had to Helicoil the lower hole in my Zf's bellhousing. (The top bolt comes from the back into the starter itself)

It stays tight now that I can really crank on it.

Definitely gonna keep any eye on it. Not sure yet if the PO just didn't torque them down enough cause it's not original. If they start to loosen again it's time for some hardware upgrade and some locktite.

Definitely gonna keep any eye on it. Not sure yet if the PO just didn't torque them down enough cause it's not original. If they start to loosen again it's time for some hardware upgrade and some locktite.

When I went through my "starter woes" eight years ago, I changed the bolt out for a serrated flanged one.

(This is when I had swapped in the Zf, and was going through a starter a month)

Bill and Gary will back me up on this. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Getting the bell tapped for a Helicoil with the engine in the truck was a challenge, but the new, stronger threads and a PMGR starter saved me from losing my mind.

When I went through my "starter woes" eight years ago, I changed the bolt out for a serrated flanged one.

(This is when I had swapped in the Zf, and was going through a starter a month)

Bill and Gary will back me up on this. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Getting the bell tapped for a Helicoil with the engine in the truck was a challenge, but the new, stronger threads and a PMGR starter saved me from losing my mind.

I can neither confirm nor deny that Jim has not lost his mind. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, I do remember the battle. And the cause was hard to fathom 'cause it seemed the starters and the flywheel(s) were perfectly fine - for a while.

I can neither confirm nor deny that Jim has not lost his mind. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, I do remember the battle. And the cause was hard to fathom 'cause it seemed the starters and the flywheel(s) were perfectly fine - for a while.

The problem with reading threads like this is, not I want to go check my starter bolts!

I know right where it is.

Right wherever I left it... but I forget :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Yes, the starters would last for weeks, then I'd blow the snout right off them! :nabble_smiley_what:

The bottom bolt has stainless to thread into now

I know right where it is.

Right wherever I left it... but I forget :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Yes, the starters would last for weeks, then I'd blow the snout right off them! :nabble_smiley_what:

The bottom bolt has stainless to thread into now

If it is 3/8", maybe I should do that before installing the starter. I have plenty of inserts after getting them for the alternator.