Bullnose Forums

Rear slider gasket

You need to click the Permalink tab, copy and paste that into your reply.

Thank you, Jim. Computer technology is not my strength. I will try to do that next time. :nabble_anim_handshake:

wowee - pricey. Well i'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for so I sure hope this will be an A+ product.

I feel like my brain is slowly turning to mush. To summarize:

Rubber the right way does not have options for me (no slider options)

Kramttocs - in reading this and the FTE post, it sounds like you ordered 20-0973-81. You're saying this does have the wider slot AND does not have chrome trim "stuff/addons". Steele says it replaces part E2TZ-1042084-A.

Do we have part numbers for the gaskets on this site that i am missing? Someone on FTE mentioned the E= 80s and that 2 = 1982 so I'm guessing that part # E2TZ-1042084-A would not fit my truck (a 1981)??? Kramttocs - please weigh in on this!!

Steele does not appear to have gaskets for sliders from 1980-81. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Steel part # 20-0827-81 has fine print stating that this part fits 1977-1986 OEM fixed. Part # 20-0825-81

does not have this fine print, but does say its for fixed AND sliders.... might this be the gasket for me? https://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-20-0825-81

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wowee - pricey. Well i'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for so I sure hope this will be an A+ product.

I feel like my brain is slowly turning to mush. To summarize:

Rubber the right way does not have options for me (no slider options)

Kramttocs - in reading this and the FTE post, it sounds like you ordered 20-0973-81. You're saying this does have the wider slot AND does not have chrome trim "stuff/addons". Steele says it replaces part E2TZ-1042084-A.

Do we have part numbers for the gaskets on this site that i am missing? Someone on FTE mentioned the E= 80s and that 2 = 1982 so I'm guessing that part # E2TZ-1042084-A would not fit my truck (a 1981)??? Kramttocs - please weigh in on this!!

Steele does not appear to have gaskets for sliders from 1980-81. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Steel part # 20-0827-81 has fine print stating that this part fits 1977-1986 OEM fixed. Part # 20-0825-81

does not have this fine print, but does say its for fixed AND sliders.... might this be the gasket for me? https://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-20-0825-81

Yeah. it's easily confusing for sure but you have it right there at the end.

Yes, I ordered E2TZ-1042084-A (Steel 20-0973-81). This is for a factory slide WITH chrome trim. This does not work with the CRL slider.

Taken from FTE but I removed the only 70's entries to avoid confusion:

Here are the Part Numbers for the different seals. Make sure the year of the seal matches the year of the window, or there might be fitment problems.

D3TZ-1042084-A: For Solid Window without chrome trim. 1973-1979 and Factory Slider: 1973-1981.

E0TZ-1042084-A: For Solid Window, without trim: 1980-1996/7

E0TZ-1042084-B: For Solid Window, With Trim: D7TZ-1042430-A: 1980-1996/7

E2TZ-1042084-A: For Sliding Rear Window: Requires Trim: D7TZ-1042430-A: 1982-1996-97

For your 81 factory slider WITHOUT trim-

You are correct in that you would want D3TZ-1042084-A (Steele 20-0825-81) (RTRW D3TZ-1042084-A).

Yeah. it's easily confusing for sure but you have it right there at the end.

Yes, I ordered E2TZ-1042084-A (Steel 20-0973-81). This is for a factory slide WITH chrome trim. This does not work with the CRL slider.

Taken from FTE but I removed the only 70's entries to avoid confusion:

Here are the Part Numbers for the different seals. Make sure the year of the seal matches the year of the window, or there might be fitment problems.

D3TZ-1042084-A: For Solid Window without chrome trim. 1973-1979 and Factory Slider: 1973-1981.

E0TZ-1042084-A: For Solid Window, without trim: 1980-1996/7

E0TZ-1042084-B: For Solid Window, With Trim: D7TZ-1042430-A: 1980-1996/7

E2TZ-1042084-A: For Sliding Rear Window: Requires Trim: D7TZ-1042430-A: 1982-1996-97

For your 81 factory slider WITHOUT trim-

You are correct in that you would want D3TZ-1042084-A (Steele 20-0825-81) (RTRW D3TZ-1042084-A).

Speaking as someone that ordered the wrong one a year ago and then had to order the correct one yesterday, I would lean towards either RTRW or Dennis Carpenter as the one I got looks to be the same quality as factory and even with buying two of them I am still less than the Steele price. Not at all saying anything negative about Steele and you should really be pretty safe with your purchase because you have a factory slider in an 81 AND it doesn't have trim.

To elaborate - Using that FTE quote above as the end all be all and seeing that the 80 and 81 years are the only Bullnose years that had sliders with no chrome trim and there is only one gasket for that combination, you are looking good.

It's when mixing factory gasket numbers with aftermarket windows that I got lost. Once I got the aftermarket slider in person though it makes sense that it would need the non-slider factory gasket.

Speaking as someone that ordered the wrong one a year ago and then had to order the correct one yesterday, I would lean towards either RTRW or Dennis Carpenter as the one I got looks to be the same quality as factory and even with buying two of them I am still less than the Steele price. Not at all saying anything negative about Steele and you should really be pretty safe with your purchase because you have a factory slider in an 81 AND it doesn't have trim.

To elaborate - Using that FTE quote above as the end all be all and seeing that the 80 and 81 years are the only Bullnose years that had sliders with no chrome trim and there is only one gasket for that combination, you are looking good.

It's when mixing factory gasket numbers with aftermarket windows that I got lost. Once I got the aftermarket slider in person though it makes sense that it would need the non-slider factory gasket.

If you're using a factory slider, the weatherstrip w/o chrome is still available from your local friendly Ford dealer. It IS $105, which seems a bit steep to me, but it is correct...

If you're using a factory slider, the weatherstrip w/o chrome is still available from your local friendly Ford dealer. It IS $105, which seems a bit steep to me, but it is correct...

Good to know. Could you add either a link or the part number to your post so there is no confusion on which gasket you are referring to?

Good to know. Could you add either a link or the part number to your post so there is no confusion on which gasket you are referring to?

F6TZ-1542084-AB Fits 1980-1997 (OBS) with factory slider and no moldings. Ford still has 6 of them in stock at NPD in Livonia.

Thanks a lot!

I'm not finding this match unfortunately. I'm find a $98 gasket that fits 80-81 w/o trim or 82 - 96 w/o sliding and w/o trim. Makes it sound like this is for a solid glass rear window? Unless there is a way to search a specific location, but i would assume its searching for parts at all locations??

https://www.npdlink.com/1980-1996-ford-truck/weatherstrip/rear-window

I'm not finding this match unfortunately. I'm find a $98 gasket that fits 80-81 w/o trim or 82 - 96 w/o sliding and w/o trim. Makes it sound like this is for a solid glass rear window? Unless there is a way to search a specific location, but i would assume its searching for parts at all locations??

https://www.npdlink.com/1980-1996-ford-truck/weatherstrip/rear-window

I would stick with these two sources as they have the right description/years/number.

Steele 20-0825-81

RTRW D3TZ-1042084-A

I also need the seals that go within the slider itself as mine are a bit toasty. These seem harder to find - anyone had luck?

I searched for the replacement seals and felts and did not have any luck. I found a really nice condition factory sliding rear window in a 1996 F150 at the local junkyard for $35 bucks. I completely disassembled the whole thing and cleaned all of the felts and seals with a toothbrush and cleaner, and once cleaned and dried they seemed to bounce back to life pretty well. They were not in bad condition anyway, but a little clean-up seemed to do them well. I don't know what the lifespan of these seals are, but everything with this window seemed to be in really nice condition (of course it is 16 years newer than a 1980, so that matters...).

As I understand it the 1994-1996/7 sliding rear windows had two minor changes from the previous years. One is that they have an improved latching mechanism that is much tougher than the previous version, and the outer main seal is all black...no chrome insert/trim piece.

PS: If you have a junkyard near by, it's worth looking for one of the newer windows. For the couple minutes it takes to remove it, and a little bit of elbow grease to clean up, it was worth the trouble imho. I had fully intended on buying a complete new CRL window prior to finding this one.

I had a new Fairchild seal installed briefly with my solid/non-slider rear window prior to installing this slider, and it seemed like it fit OK. It came with the full cab seal kit, so I don't know what part number the individual seal was. My only complaint with it was that it did not fully cover the the lower corners...but in defense of the Fairchild seal, my original 1984 seal wasn't fully covering the lower corners either. The 1996 window/seal I have installed now fully fills in and covers the lower corners fwiw. The rubber on this one has a larger lip/flange on it than the others.

Good job on finding the OEM Ford 1994 - 1996/7 slider window, Chief! :nabble_smiley_good:

I have one of these on Lucille as well. This is a worthwhile upgrade, because it looks very much like the original 1982 - 1986 window, only better. As you pointed out, the latch is a much improved design over the older version. It can actually be used as a handle without breaking!

When I installed the newer slider, I replaced the one-piece black seal with the earlier 1982 - 1986 Bullnose version with the chrome lock strip. It fits the later slider perfectly, and looks more period-correct. Especially if you have a Lariat model. If you wish to use the earlier style, here are the part numbers I used:

Rear seal with groove for chrome lock strip:

E2TZ1042084A

Chrome lock strip:

D7TZ1042430A

Chrome joint clip:

D7TZ1042436B