Bullnose Forums

Rear slider gasket

So i've been reading past posts on this and had some follow up questions. I have a slider from 5/81, so it looks like aluminum with no chrome trim:

LMC seems to carry the gasket - but I haven't seen comments regarding whether folks would recommend this brand? LMC in my experience can be cheap and i'm worried any rubber from them will break down and oxidize quickly.

Fairchild seems to be recommended but if i'm on the right web page their site is hard to navigate. Does someone have a part number to get me in the right direction? Anyone have good or bad to say on this brand? (page shows f250 twice, F100/350 Ranger XLT [which I have] but then only years from the 60-70s etc, its a mess)

I think in a previous post, Kramttocs recommended Rubber the right way, but they don't seem to have a gasket for an 81 slider.

I also need the seals that go within the slider itself as mine are a bit toasty. These seem harder to find - anyone had luck?

Hope this isnt beating a dead horse but

Can't help with the 'internal' seals as I replaced the window with the 'tinted' one from LMC, with their gasket. It's OK and has held up for 4 years now. But the truck has been parked inside for over 3 of that.

IMG_3144.jpg.ed129c6637cc6684e73d377645ff082c.jpg

As for Fairchild, I got the weatherstripping from RA and I'm happy with all except the vent window's, it fits terrible. So bad, I'm probably going to have to get something else. But can't comment on the gasket for the rear window.

Good luck

Can't help with the 'internal' seals as I replaced the window with the 'tinted' one from LMC, with their gasket. It's OK and has held up for 4 years now. But the truck has been parked inside for over 3 of that.

As for Fairchild, I got the weatherstripping from RA and I'm happy with all except the vent window's, it fits terrible. So bad, I'm probably going to have to get something else. But can't comment on the gasket for the rear window.

Good luck

Do a "search" on this forum for: Replacing Slider Rear Window with solid glass - good idea? Which gasket do I use?

CountryBumkin 11/12/2019 [i could not get a link, sorry!] It may have some helpful information.

Do a "search" on this forum for: Replacing Slider Rear Window with solid glass - good idea? Which gasket do I use?

CountryBumkin 11/12/2019 [i could not get a link, sorry!] It may have some helpful information.

If you're using an aftermarket slider, you need a weatherstrip for fixed glass. If using a factory slider, you have to use the weatherstrip specific to that. Ford sliders don't have a mounting fin, so they're wider where they fit into the rubber.

If you're using an aftermarket slider, you need a weatherstrip for fixed glass. If using a factory slider, you have to use the weatherstrip specific to that. Ford sliders don't have a mounting fin, so they're wider where they fit into the rubber.

I found that one before posting - that may have been the one that got me to search fairchild. Problem is there are few post-installation comments of whether folks "still like it", which is what i'm hoping to find via this post. I need the original factory slider appropriate wider gasket. At this point I know what I need, I just can't find it at fairchild :nabble_smiley_sad:and I worry about LMC quality. The second poster make me feel better about LMC, although my truck will be seeing more sun sans garage :(.

Rock auto does have this:

FAIRCHILD F4045 {#F6TZ1542084AB} Info

Back Window Seal; without chrome strip

But its doesn't exactly tell me much.

Bingo Myrle! Just found this out today and reopened a discussion over on FTE about it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1560590-rear-slider-questions-76-f250-3.html

That mounting fin for CRL sliders is key.

That said, since you are using a factory one than you don't have to worry about that and can get the correct, factory one.

I opened it today when I found out it wouldn't work with the CRL but I do like the Rubber the Right Way one BUT important to note is that while I ordered it from them it came in a Dennis Carpenter package/label so if it's anything like the other DC stuff I've used, it's the same quality as factory Ford.

I found that one before posting - that may have been the one that got me to search fairchild. Problem is there are few post-installation comments of whether folks "still like it", which is what i'm hoping to find via this post. I need the original factory slider appropriate wider gasket. At this point I know what I need, I just can't find it at fairchild :nabble_smiley_sad:and I worry about LMC quality. The second poster make me feel better about LMC, although my truck will be seeing more sun sans garage :(.

Rock auto does have this:

FAIRCHILD F4045 {#F6TZ1542084AB} Info

Back Window Seal; without chrome strip

But its doesn't exactly tell me much.

F6TZ tells you that its a 1996 designed window gasket.

Which probably means for the major restyle of that year.

Same with windshields, that fit the same from the 1970's all the way to '96 ('97 for 250/350's)

You need to click the Permalink tab, copy and paste that into your reply.

I also need the seals that go within the slider itself as mine are a bit toasty. These seem harder to find - anyone had luck?

I searched for the replacement seals and felts and did not have any luck. I found a really nice condition factory sliding rear window in a 1996 F150 at the local junkyard for $35 bucks. I completely disassembled the whole thing and cleaned all of the felts and seals with a toothbrush and cleaner, and once cleaned and dried they seemed to bounce back to life pretty well. They were not in bad condition anyway, but a little clean-up seemed to do them well. I don't know what the lifespan of these seals are, but everything with this window seemed to be in really nice condition (of course it is 16 years newer than a 1980, so that matters...).

As I understand it the 1994-1996/7 sliding rear windows had two minor changes from the previous years. One is that they have an improved latching mechanism that is much tougher than the previous version, and the outer main seal is all black...no chrome insert/trim piece.

PS: If you have a junkyard near by, it's worth looking for one of the newer windows. For the couple minutes it takes to remove it, and a little bit of elbow grease to clean up, it was worth the trouble imho. I had fully intended on buying a complete new CRL window prior to finding this one.

IMG_9219.jpg.34680c39720055c4d283d25ccb7f9531.jpg

IMG_9220.jpg.c006bc4ab8a1d7a245c81d95ca7227b5.jpg

IMG_9530.jpg.b6508dea194b2d42973cd31ee7b9da04.jpg

IMG_9579.jpg.9fa1dcf02c26647ffa7e1e376413dd0f.jpg

IMG_9580.jpg.8eafe1f40c36a15c0a6b8ed31caab1a2.jpg

IMG_9597.jpg.490f92fedac27d498860e67edd1c4c1e.jpg

I had a new Fairchild seal installed briefly with my solid/non-slider rear window prior to installing this slider, and it seemed like it fit OK. It came with the full cab seal kit, so I don't know what part number the individual seal was. My only complaint with it was that it did not fully cover the the lower corners...but in defense of the Fairchild seal, my original 1984 seal wasn't fully covering the lower corners either. The 1996 window/seal I have installed now fully fills in and covers the lower corners fwiw. The rubber on this one has a larger lip/flange on it than the others.