Bullnose Forums

Cab swap

Hi guys so as some of you many know along with my F150 I have a 86 F250 4x4 and the truck is a champ I love driving it around this time in the snow it's a long bed so if it gets a little squirrelly I can keep under control also I gave this truck to my dad since I took the f150 from him.

Now the truck is a great running truck and we do have plans for it but the cab of the truck is really rough who ever decided to put galvanized metal and rivet it to the floor is a low life the floor doesn't even connect to the fire wall and when you hit a slight pot hole or bump in the road inside the truck sounds like it's leaving parts behind. My dad was looking to replacing the floor but it would end costing him a arm and a leg. I mention to him it would be best to just get a cab from another truck and using it instead.

I was looking for 87 to 91 cab would our dashing just bolt in or would it be better to leave the existing dash in place.

20180205_201310.jpg.4b8a58c30ab8f402623960c9d0b52807.jpg

This is old blue in all her glory. She has a camper on her now.

Short answer, no, look at my white paper "Darth Vader" in projects and mentally reverse the process. First, VIN number location is different, second, 1986 dash is built up and installed, 1987-91 are a plastic dash over a metal matrix and mounting is different angle completely, pedal bracket is different along with parking brake pedal, about the only thing the same (and it requires you swap the bracket) is the steering column mount.

The whole cab would swap, but the harness is different where it all comes through the firewall.

And the lower fender mounts are in a different spot.

And the blower plenum.

And....

If you got the title with the cab the truck could become a '87-'90, but Idk what that would mean for emissions and such where you live.

ETA: the '87 dash is also a completely different contour where it meets the door panels.

The whole cab would swap, but the harness is different where it all comes through the firewall.

And the lower fender mounts are in a different spot.

And the blower plenum.

And....

If you got the title with the cab the truck could become a '87-'90, but Idk what that would mean for emissions and such where you live.

ETA: the '87 dash is also a completely different contour where it meets the door panels.

My Frankentruck is running with an 87 cab. Yes, there are a lot of differences and I kept the 87 dash and wiring. Lower fender mounts need a little reworking, but the bullnose sheetmetal fits just fine.

Couple of things I have found out.

Back in the day when these were current production, Ford did offer replacement cabs without a VIN. I have never seen any official procedure for transferring the VIN to the new cab, but it was a recognized repair. I think there is a lot of merit to having your cab VIN match your frame VIN. How much metal do you have to replace before your cab loses it's identity is a matter of debate. Local laws regarding title prevail. There are no federal laws governing VIN rivets. Door stickers can be reproduced and are not usually considered "official" or "public" identification.

Doors are different between the bullnose trucks and the 87 and up models. Bullnose doors will fit the later cabs, but not the other way around. I put up a post in FTE about this sometime back.

Windshields are not easy to find with the bullnose VIN location. Most, (if not all) replacements have the VIN window in the 87 and up location. Glass is identical otherwise.

My Frankentruck is running with an 87 cab. Yes, there are a lot of differences and I kept the 87 dash and wiring. Lower fender mounts need a little reworking, but the bullnose sheetmetal fits just fine.

Back in the day when these were current production, Ford did offer replacement cabs without a VIN. I have never seen any official procedure for transferring the VIN to the new cab, but it was a recognized repair. I think there is a lot of merit to having your cab VIN match your frame VIN. How much metal do you have to replace before your cab loses it's identity is a matter of debate. Local laws regarding title prevail. There are no federal laws governing VIN rivets. Door stickers can be reproduced and are not usually considered "official" or "public" identification.

Doors are different between the bullnose trucks and the 87 and up models. Bullnose doors will fit the later cabs, but not the other way around. I put up a post in FTE about this sometime back.

Windshields are not easy to find with the bullnose VIN location. Most, (if not all) replacements have the VIN window in the 87 and up location. Glass is identical otherwise.

Yup, bricknose trucks have a seatbelt retractor in the lower rear edge of the door jamb.

This caused me some trouble when I had to replace the B pillar 'shoe' because Tabco only makes the bullnose version.

Lots of details, like the vent window/front track, door handle, etc... are different

Damn, I'm glad you told me the later doors won't fit. I must be like a bumble bee, NASA says they can't fly because the wing are is too small. Apparently no one told the bumble bees because they seem to fly just fine.

I have a 1990 Left front door, a 1988 right front door and a pair of 1996 rear doors on my truck, no one ever told me they wouldn't fit.

Damn, I'm glad you told me the later doors won't fit. I must be like a bumble bee, NASA says they can't fly because the wing are is too small. Apparently no one told the bumble bees because they seem to fly just fine.

I have a 1990 Left front door, a 1988 right front door and a pair of 1996 rear doors on my truck, no one ever told me they wouldn't fit.

AFAIK later doors will fit an early truck but bullnose doors won't close over the metal hump and seat belt retractor of a bricknose cab.

Like they say over at NASA, Houston, we have a problem.

Trust me Bill, there is an issue.

Here's the link to the FTE discussion.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1460926-all-80-to-96-doors-are-not-the-same.html

Jim, I found the problem when I tried to hang 87 doors on an 86 cab. It is that hump on the bottom corner of the door itself, but it is part of that seat belt retractor change.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1460926-all-80-to-96-doors-are-not-the-same.html

Jim, I found the problem when I tried to hang 87 doors on an 86 cab. It is that hump on the bottom corner of the door itself, but it is part of that seat belt retractor change.

Wow I would have never know my truck has doors from a 93 ford truck they seem to close just fine. I've notice the vent is different from my 86 f150.

Also thanks guys for all the replies great info!

Ok, now I put the 90 front end on for two reasons, first the PO had apparently parked by feel, second I needed the mountings for the EFI air filter and coolant/washer reservoir. The rear doors are from a 1996 F350 that a tree fell on. I salvaged the innards from both front doors so I now have four door power locks and windows on a 1986 truck.

DSCN0632_copy.thumb.jpg.1659d895dbfbcdd94f3e191e9077cec1.jpg