Bullnose Forums

Steering Problem

In spite of our proximity Randy and I've not met. But we have emailed, texted, and talked on the phone - social distance? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

But I didn't address the hard-to-turn problem. I don't understand what would make that happen and have no experience with it, so I'll defer to you.

Randy has filled in a lot of details.

My feeling was that (if) the PS pump deficient it might not provide much assist with the engine at idle, making for heavy steering at low rpm and basically no road speed.

I've parallel parked enough huge boats with "Armstrong" steering back in the day.

Gary this truck has had zero front end work. No radius arm bushings which clearly need replacing and are on order. I need new brakes and brake lines on the front as well.

If you'll recall about a month ago the steering column dropped into my lap. I had it apart 3-4 weeks ago and lubed everything in the column and installed a new turn signal switch while it was apart. The tilt,switch and turn signal all work smoothly and properly now.

But I fix one or two items and three or four problems pop up and that's just the way it is per wife. LoL

The front end needs attention without a doubt but the somewhat stiff steering concerns me. Hopefully it's a shot pump as it's Original too. In fact I know the wheel bearings haven't touched in 20+ years. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Jim - I agree, it may well be the PS pump. I've just not run into that. I'd suggest taking the belt off for a test, but as we know, that would just cause the C-II pump to puke fluid all over everything. So I'm not sure what to suggest.

Randy - I'll bet the clunks are due to the radius bushings. They aren't all that hard to replace, and sure made a big difference on my '82.

As for fixing one thing and having more pop up, yep. That's the onion-peeling drill. Some day you'll have enough for a Bloomin' Onion.

Randy has filled in a lot of details.

My feeling was that (if) the PS pump deficient it might not provide much assist with the engine at idle, making for heavy steering at low rpm and basically no road speed.

I've parallel parked enough huge boats with "Armstrong" steering back in the day.

USMC 2 1/2 ton trucks, Armstrong, probably 10 turns lock to lock and took all your strength to turn it sitting still. My 1958 F100 was easy compared to them, even my best friend's 1969 Mach 1 428 CJ with manual steering was easy compared to them. Closest I found to one was an F600 dump truck, 300 HD engine and manual steering.

Jim - I agree, it may well be the PS pump. I've just not run into that. I'd suggest taking the belt off for a test, but as we know, that would just cause the C-II pump to puke fluid all over everything. So I'm not sure what to suggest.

Randy - I'll bet the clunks are due to the radius bushings. They aren't all that hard to replace, and sure made a big difference on my '82.

As for fixing one thing and having more pop up, yep. That's the onion-peeling drill. Some day you'll have enough for a Bloomin' Onion.

Gary I 2nd that motion about the clunking which is why I'll have some new bushings by Friday if Rock Auto is correct on their eta. PS Pumps are cheap too compared to today's vehicle's or even 15yo's in most cases.

Thanks guys and I'll keep you posted on what I find but it looks like a very wet week. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Weather starting off like last year Gary,already nearly 6" above normal!

Gary I 2nd that motion about the clunking which is why I'll have some new bushings by Friday if Rock Auto is correct on their eta. PS Pumps are cheap too compared to today's vehicle's or even 15yo's in most cases.

Thanks guys and I'll keep you posted on what I find but it looks like a very wet week. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Weather starting off like last year Gary,already nearly 6" above normal!

Yes, and it is raining at the mo and is supposed to rain off and on all week. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, good luck on fixing these problems, and hope that resolves the issue as well as doesn't uncover more.

Yes, and it is raining at the mo and is supposed to rain off and on all week. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, good luck on fixing these problems, and hope that resolves the issue as well as doesn't uncover more.

You know as well as I do,they'll be more! In fact it probably won't stop and am limited only by funding and physicality.

Thanks for helping me out.