Bullnose Forums

Steering Problem

Hi all I've been making pretty good progress on my truck as of late and even drove it to the Dr. on Thursday. Almost had me re-thinking that A/C removal because it got hot,well for this time of year.

Anyway I noticed that it was pretty difficult keeping her straight today coupled with some of the ever present clunking noise from the front drivers side. But the very noticeable part came when I got back home and had to start and stop with lots of turns either direction,in short the steering feels like a newer vehicle as in stiff steering. I can no longer turn with my index finger,no whining or sqealing or low fluid level.

Bad pump? fresh grease job done back in Sept.

Thanks Randy

Randy, are you saying it was challenging to keep the truck in your lane?

And that when you got home, making a 37 point turn was like having manual steering? (even though there's no belt slippage, or leaks)

I mean, you might expect less assist idling than driving down the road, especially if the pump is worn.

It just won't make the pressure it does when the rpm's are up.

If I had a wandering problem, after checking tie rod ends and drag (or center) links for obvious safety matters, I would look at the rag joint (where the steering column connects to the steering box)

It's nothing more than a piece of tire sidewall (canvas reinforced rubber) and after 37 years baking in oil fumes under the hood, probably needs some love and attention.

Replacements are available in the Dorman HELP! aisle, typically.

And that when you got home, making a 37 point turn was like having manual steering? (even though there's no belt slippage, or leaks)

I mean, you might expect less assist idling than driving down the road, especially if the pump is worn.

If I had a wandering problem, after checking tie rod ends and drag (or center) links for obvious safety matters, I would look at the rag joint (where the steering column connects to the steering box)

It's nothing more than a piece of tire sidewall (canvas reinforced rubber) and after 37 years baking in oil fumes under the hood, probably needs some love and attention.

I agree with everything Jim said. But the clunking has me wondering about the pivot arm bushings. If they are worn it will clunk on bumps and when you hit the brakes, and it will be difficult to keep it going straight.

I agree with everything Jim said. But the clunking has me wondering about the pivot arm bushings. If they are worn it will clunk on bumps and when you hit the brakes, and it will be difficult to keep it going straight.

You have very good points Gary, and know Randy much better than me.

You have very good points Gary, and know Randy much better than me.

In spite of our proximity Randy and I've not met. But we have emailed, texted, and talked on the phone - social distance? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

But I didn't address the hard-to-turn problem. I don't understand what would make that happen and have no experience with it, so I'll defer to you.

In spite of our proximity Randy and I've not met. But we have emailed, texted, and talked on the phone - social distance? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

But I didn't address the hard-to-turn problem. I don't understand what would make that happen and have no experience with it, so I'll defer to you.

Gary, did the 1983 2WD trucks still have king pins? I am not that familiar with the change points on the Bullnose trucks. I know the F350s had king pins on 2WD through 1986.

Gary, did the 1983 2WD trucks still have king pins? I am not that familiar with the change points on the Bullnose trucks. I know the F350s had king pins on 2WD through 1986.

Brownie, the '82 I parted, had ball joints. But if I remember correctly Paul/Rogue_Wulff's '80 has king pins. Let me look....... :nabble_anim_working:

Brownie, the '82 I parted, had ball joints. But if I remember correctly Paul/Rogue_Wulff's '80 has king pins. Let me look....... :nabble_anim_working:

Turns out that's a DEEP subject, and I don't want to fall in. You have to go through the applications table, come up with the parts list #, and then interpret the parts list in order to figure it out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But maybe this will help. They suggest that the forged axles got king pins and the stamped sheet metal axles got ball joints. Which fits because Brownie had stamped axles. As did the '82 white F150 Explorer and it had ball joints.

2wd-with-stamped-axle-b.jpeg.0da8e10d45105cc1a1228b7577432a01.jpeg

2wd-forged-axle-b.thumb.jpeg.12dfa147acc10148d37541fa97978d7e.jpeg

I must admit it needs aligned and it has new front shocks (forgot to mention that). The strange thing was that it seemed a wheel or two were out of Balance "at times" then would be smooth. This was observed with cruise control on at 65mph. This prompted me to drive in the 50s the rest of the way home due to me thinking "Ball joints about to go" I just drove it 80mph down the turnpike for 4 miles 2 weekends ago and it did fine.

I haven't been able to look it over since then as it turned colder and has rained basically every day. I'll report back when it dries up.

Thanks Randy Brown

Gary this truck has had zero front end work. No radius arm bushings which clearly need replacing and are on order. I need new brakes and brake lines on the front as well.

If you'll recall about a month ago the steering column dropped into my lap. I had it apart 3-4 weeks ago and lubed everything in the column and installed a new turn signal switch while it was apart. The tilt,switch and turn signal all work smoothly and properly now.

But I fix one or two items and three or four problems pop up and that's just the way it is per wife. LoL

The front end needs attention without a doubt but the somewhat stiff steering concerns me. Hopefully it's a shot pump as it's Original too. In fact I know the wheel bearings haven't touched in 20+ years. :nabble_smiley_unhappy: