Bullnose Forums

1980-1991 Steering Column Billet Lower Bearing Housing

Cool! Is there any chance the red filler piece will fit in to seal the openings between the bearing and the shaft? And, does the shaft fit tightly so it won't rotate in the bearing?

No, you do not re-use any part of the old bearing assembly, including the red piece. There is only a small gap around the flat sides of the steering shaft, and that gap will be covered by the intermediate shaft once it is slipped over the steering shaft.

As for whether the shaft will spin in the bearing, I don't want to answer that as I have the column out of the truck and would like to wait to see how it fits when fully installed in the truck. However, I believe it may be possible for it to spin depending on the steering shaft. Remember, there may be manufacturing differences in the steering shaft thickness that affect how the bearing fits. It may fit tighter on some trucks than others, as evidenced by the fact that my 1986 intermediate shaft slipped on and off of my old 1986 column, but it takes some force to get it to slide onto the 1990 column I am using.

That's the worry, Shaun, that the manufacturing tolerances of the rolled sheet metal shaft are such that some shafts may spin in the bearing. Which is probably why Ford used the o-ring as it takes up slack.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the worry, Shaun, that the manufacturing tolerances of the rolled sheet metal shaft are such that some shafts may spin in the bearing. Which is probably why Ford used the o-ring as it takes up slack.

Yeah, was just looking at the one on my desk again and I am not sure I would feel too comfortably losing the red contact area and the filling/gripping ability of the o ring. While it spinning in the lower bearing may not cause any immediate failure and loss of control, just because it is part of the steering it would be worth him taking a look at to see if something could be done.

Really liking it aside from that concern.

What are the disadvantages of the bearing being a minimally loose fit, from an engineering standpoint? I can understand the disadvantages of this happening on a wheel bearing, but this type of bearing does not see that same kind of wear.

The manufacturer is asking for feedback, so please let me know your thoughts.

What are the disadvantages of the bearing being a minimally loose fit, from an engineering standpoint? I can understand the disadvantages of this happening on a wheel bearing, but this type of bearing does not see that same kind of wear.

The manufacturer is asking for feedback, so please let me know your thoughts.

Eventually if the shaft spins in the bearing the shaft will get galled because the bearing is harder than the shaft. Really, if the shaft doesn't spin the bearing there's no reason for the bearing. You'd be better off with a bushing.

Eventually if the shaft spins in the bearing the shaft will get galled because the bearing is harder than the shaft. Really, if the shaft doesn't spin the bearing there's no reason for the bearing. You'd be better off with a bushing.

I went out and put the column in the vice and marked the bearing and shaft so I could see if they move together or if the bearing spins on the shaft. After spinning the steering wheel back and forth about 50 times, the bearing moved along with the shaft, and did not spin. The bearing will only spin on the shaft if I manually hold it with slight pressure from my finger.

To be fair, I tried the same test with my factory bearing and red clip, just without the plastic housing. I achieved the same result, the factory bearing spun with the shaft until I placed slight pressure onto the bearing, and then the shaft spun inside the bearing, even with the O-ring.

The only way I feel the factory setup would be superior to this is if you had a brand new bearing with a brand new o-ring. Maybe then the chance of slippage would be zero.

It's also important to note that the billet housing is slightly taller than the stock plastic housing. Therefore, when you install the intermediate shaft to the column, once you get it lined up, I assume that the intermediate shaft presses up against the bearing and that pressure keeps it spinning with the shaft.

I went out and put the column in the vice and marked the bearing and shaft so I could see if they move together or if the bearing spins on the shaft. After spinning the steering wheel back and forth about 50 times, the bearing moved along with the shaft, and did not spin. The bearing will only spin on the shaft if I manually hold it with slight pressure from my finger.

To be fair, I tried the same test with my factory bearing and red clip, just without the plastic housing. I achieved the same result, the factory bearing spun with the shaft until I placed slight pressure onto the bearing, and then the shaft spun inside the bearing, even with the O-ring.

The only way I feel the factory setup would be superior to this is if you had a brand new bearing with a brand new o-ring. Maybe then the chance of slippage would be zero.

It's also important to note that the billet housing is slightly taller than the stock plastic housing. Therefore, when you install the intermediate shaft to the column, once you get it lined up, I assume that the intermediate shaft presses up against the bearing and that pressure keeps it spinning with the shaft.

I'd jam a little bit of RTV in the small voids where the flats of the shaft are inside the bearing. Once that stuff hardens up, it would lock that shaft to the inner race of the bearing as tight or tighter than the O-ring ever did. That's all IMHO of course. I don't need one of these bearing housings, but if I did, that is what I'd do.

I'd jam a little bit of RTV in the small voids where the flats of the shaft are inside the bearing. Once that stuff hardens up, it would lock that shaft to the inner race of the bearing as tight or tighter than the O-ring ever did. That's all IMHO of course. I don't need one of these bearing housings, but if I did, that is what I'd do.

That is thinking outside the box! :nabble_smiley_good:

I agree, and feel that the RTV would be more than adequate to keep the bearing in place.

I agree, and feel that the RTV would be more than adequate to keep the bearing in place.

I think that will work. And, it'll seal between the bearing and the shaft.

You might want to pass that suggestion on the manufacturer.

Or a small wooden wedge driven in and the other shaft would keep it from falling out.

On the factory set up is it not plastic?

If so I could see why they would not went the shaft to spin in side the bearing as it would wear down the plastic inner race.

But as said I cant see the shaft wearing because the bearing race was not spinning with the shaft.

But that is me.

How have you guys known that bearing needed to be replaced?

Was there play in the shaft and you traced it to the lower bearing or was it making noise?

I never looked that close at either one of mine as I did not feel a need.

Dave ----