Bullnose Forums

Instrument Bezel Control Panel - 3D Printed

What size threads did you use? I was thinking m4 or m6. Shouldn't need much but wasn't sure how that small of threads would turn out even after chasing them.

I don't remember what we used, but I could check later. However, I will say that the threads were pretty precise.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Definitely thinking outside the box! :nabble_anim_claps:

More like thinking inside the box (or cubbie, whatever you call it) :nabble_smiley_wink:

Have you considered brass thread inserts?

They make these to either be printed into the finished part, or heated and melted in after the part is finished.

These are MUCH stronger than threads in plastic and hold up to repeated use.

Put a chamfer to the rear in order to help guide the screw/stud in.

6mm is way overkill IMO.

Good going Scott!

More like thinking inside the box (or cubbie, whatever you call it) :nabble_smiley_wink:

Have you considered brass thread inserts?

They make these to either be printed into the finished part, or heated and melted in after the part is finished.

These are MUCH stronger than threads in plastic and hold up to repeated use.

Put a chamfer to the rear in order to help guide the screw/stud in.

6mm is way overkill IMO.

Good going Scott!

I agree completely that 6mm is way more than needed for this. The only reasons I went with that is that I have some spare 6mm x 100mm stainless threaded rods that I am using for the inner fender platform stand-offs and I am not sure how well the printer will do smaller threads as I've never tried it.

I'll look into those inserts though - didn't even think about something like that. Thanks!

I agree completely that 6mm is way more than needed for this. The only reasons I went with that is that I have some spare 6mm x 100mm stainless threaded rods that I am using for the inner fender platform stand-offs and I am not sure how well the printer will do smaller threads as I've never tried it.

I'll look into those inserts though - didn't even think about something like that. Thanks!

There's a cool YouTube channel 'CNC Kitchen' with a young German guy.

Lot's to learn, while keeping it dumbed down for those of us without a lot of experience.

This is a really neat idea! I like it, and the square button design does have a “period correct” feel. I don’t like the over-large rocker style switch supplied with the GVOD. I was thinking of doing something else, like re-purposing the fuel selector switch in the HVAC panel and using the ^upshift^ indicator lamp from a 83/84 bezel to indicate when the overdrive is on. Your solution is great, and addresses much more than just the GVOD. On the dealer installed AC parts truck for my 4x4 swap, the whole pocket was simply sawed off the bezel, leaving a rectangular hole like the medium duty bezels.