Bullnose Forums

Fixing the floor, bad seat mounts done by PO

Our Bullnose had Bronco seats in it. Tossed them, put in OBS seats. Mechanic welded up this, which has cracked the floor. I should have supervised....

To fix it my plan is is to

1) cut off the brackets he welded on

2) fix the cracks with small MIG

3) cut matching 12" sections out of a Bricky parts truck we have

4) rivet/glue them on under the truck with body seam putty

5) weld his brackets onto stiffer plate

6) drill thru those, thru doubled floor, into yet another plate below

4 layers instead of 1, just call me Mr Overkill

Thoughts?

FloorCrack.thumb.jpg.426977abc1994464d5d719a6c5b09e62.jpg

A couple of thoughts. First, why not use something like this SEM panel adhesive instead of "body seam putty"?

Second, have you considered using the later seat base as explained here? Documentation/Interior/Seat Interchangeability. You might be able to put your seats on one of those, and they use the original mounting points.

Not sure how the floor pans differ (both in year or body style) but I know there was an 87-up TSB that included some reinforcement plates for the bucket seats in supercabs.

May be apples and oranges but just wanted to mention it.

A couple of thoughts. First, why not use something like this SEM panel adhesive instead of "body seam putty"?

Second, have you considered using the later seat base as explained here? Documentation/Interior/Seat Interchangeability. You might be able to put your seats on one of those, and they use the original mounting points.

Two great tips. I have some body seam putty to use up before it dries out, but adhesive seems safer.

The buckets I have in there came from an aeronose SC, so must be 92 or later. I'm kicking myself for not taking the pan when I pulled the seats. This was early in my return-to-US days and I was less informed.

My son's 97 has that pan, and he's planning to fab mounts and put in SD seats instead. We plan to recreate that pan's function but use steel stock instead of the stamped monstrosity. Perhaps I'll nab that pan.

Two great tips. I have some body seam putty to use up before it dries out, but adhesive seems safer.

The buckets I have in there came from an aeronose SC, so must be 92 or later. I'm kicking myself for not taking the pan when I pulled the seats. This was early in my return-to-US days and I was less informed.

My son's 97 has that pan, and he's planning to fab mounts and put in SD seats instead. We plan to recreate that pan's function but use steel stock instead of the stamped monstrosity. Perhaps I'll nab that pan.

You might want to read how I modified the floor in Dad's truck: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Dad-s-Truck-Build-tp7104p27425.html. That shows the rivets and adhesive approach.

And yes, nab the pan. But on the Bronco seats, you might want to read my posts here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1123180-dads-truck-build-277.html#post13639026.

You might want to read how I modified the floor in Dad's truck: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Dad-s-Truck-Build-tp7104p27425.html. That shows the rivets and adhesive approach.

And yes, nab the pan. But on the Bronco seats, you might want to read my posts here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1123180-dads-truck-build-277.html#post13639026.

Why does every one take a close up pictures of something and we cant tell what it is or how to go about help fix it.

I have no clue what I am looking at in that picture so cant help.

Oh I did floors, rockers, rear door posts, cab corners, inner / outer left door bottom and half the firewall.

I think I can help on the fix if you want.

20160416_182644.jpg.e11c2bd145317c1b80d9f3a588b99daf.jpg

Dave ----

• 3 weeks later...

Waking this thread up, been busy on other projects. I wuzgunna wait for my son to put SD seats in his OBS, freeing up his "pan" to use in my Bullnose. (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/seat-interchangeability.html).

But that project's been delayed. So I'm thinking I should just buy a pan and have it shipped. The downtime on my Bullnose is buggin' me. My business is considered essential so I can still drive around.

Any suggestions from the group as to where I could find one to buy? Are there vendors you'd recommend? The last time I tried to buy used parts via a junkyard search/bid engine, it was a dismal failure.

SeatPan.jpg.ce4d3a305b361aeab9be0b34e8288cfa.jpg

Why does every one take a close up pictures of something and we cant tell what it is or how to go about help fix it.

Oh I did floors, rockers, rear door posts, cab corners, inner / outer left door bottom and half the firewall.

I think I can help on the fix if you want.

Dave ----

>Why does every one take a close up pictures of something and we cant tell what it is or how to go about help fix it.

Dang, you're right. I get so caught up in posting low-storage pics to save on Gary's server. But it's true that my pic is not much use for the overall idea. It's a ripped floorpan right by a custom mount of channel steel that a welder attached directly to the floorpan.

If you look at the uppermost mount in this pic, you'll see a small crack in the floor. That's what my first pic was of.

FloorMounts.thumb.jpg.c6c3dba59b1aee973de6a7da80ddf9b3.jpg

>Why does every one take a close up pictures of something and we cant tell what it is or how to go about help fix it.

Dang, you're right. I get so caught up in posting low-storage pics to save on Gary's server. But it's true that my pic is not much use for the overall idea. It's a ripped floorpan right by a custom mount of channel steel that a welder attached directly to the floorpan.

If you look at the uppermost mount in this pic, you'll see a small crack in the floor. That's what my first pic was of.

When I was looking for one of those seat mounts I found one at a local salvage. They knew exactly what I was looking for, and apparently they are hard to find as they wanted over $100. Fortunately Kyle/First Today found one and shipped it to me for less.

But the only place I know to look is at a salvage. Or, you might try some of the Facebook groups for these trucks. Those guys sell stuff all the time. Another option might be on eBay.

When I was looking for one of those seat mounts I found one at a local salvage. They knew exactly what I was looking for, and apparently they are hard to find as they wanted over $100. Fortunately Kyle/First Today found one and shipped it to me for less.

But the only place I know to look is at a salvage. Or, you might try some of the Facebook groups for these trucks. Those guys sell stuff all the time. Another option might be on eBay.

Is Kyle/First Today a member of this group?