Bullnose Forums

Cooling fans- electric vs mechanical/clutch

Hey guys, what are y’all’s opinions on electric cooling fans vs mechanical cooling fans? The fan clutch on my truck has gotten rather wobbly and I’d like to replace it before it takes the water pump with it. That being said, a new clutch isn’t expensive but an electric fan from a Taurus isn’t expensive either, especially salvaged.

I have an aftermarket EFI system that will control electric fans so that won’t be an issue. Just need relays. I will also be fixing the AC on the truck as soon as I can.

Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? Worth it?

What is the output of your alternator? Electric fans require quite a few amps.

David is right - a stock Bullnose alternator isn't really enough to power the fan and the rest of the vehicle.

From a quick Google I'm finding that they pull 33 amps. Some of these trucks had 40 amp alternators, and the biggest was a 60. So if you have the 40 it can't possibly work, and if you have the 60 it won't work well.

One issue is that the alternators are rated at an engine speed of 1500ish, and at a light where you need the max cooling it won't be providing more than a trickle. So if you are going with electric fan(s) you should consider a 3G upgrade at the same time.

David is right - a stock Bullnose alternator isn't really enough to power the fan and the rest of the vehicle.

From a quick Google I'm finding that they pull 33 amps. Some of these trucks had 40 amp alternators, and the biggest was a 60. So if you have the 40 it can't possibly work, and if you have the 60 it won't work well.

One issue is that the alternators are rated at an engine speed of 1500ish, and at a light where you need the max cooling it won't be providing more than a trickle. So if you are going with electric fan(s) you should consider a 3G upgrade at the same time.

I have a hard time thinking 33A.

I've seen Taurus and Lincoln fans absolutely melt down multiple 50A relays.

Switch to a 70 and make the line and load big enough, no more problems.

I'm not really a fan (no pun intended, but not avoided either) of electric fans. I suppose they have some benefit in fuel consumption, and they hold the promise of better cooling in stop-and-go traffic. And if you are fording streams it's nice to be able to turn them off.

But the fuel economy improvements can't be that significant because most vehicles with longitudinally mounted engines still have mechanical fans. Fording deep water isn't much of an issue for most people (for those going off-road it can make a difference). And the only vehicle I've ever had trouble with overheating in stop-and-go traffic was when my Bronco had an (admittedly undersized) electric fan.

The higher electric draw is one negative, but the main thing for me is that I just don't like listening to them. Maybe not such an issue if the windows are closed, but on a nice summer day with the windows down (or especially with the top off the Bronco) the whine is just annoying.

That isn't to say that electric might not be the best choice for you. But you asked for opinions...

I'm not really a fan (no pun intended, but not avoided either) of electric fans. I suppose they have some benefit in fuel consumption, and they hold the promise of better cooling in stop-and-go traffic. And if you are fording streams it's nice to be able to turn them off.

But the fuel economy improvements can't be that significant because most vehicles with longitudinally mounted engines still have mechanical fans. Fording deep water isn't much of an issue for most people (for those going off-road it can make a difference). And the only vehicle I've ever had trouble with overheating in stop-and-go traffic was when my Bronco had an (admittedly undersized) electric fan.

The higher electric draw is one negative, but the main thing for me is that I just don't like listening to them. Maybe not such an issue if the windows are closed, but on a nice summer day with the windows down (or especially with the top off the Bronco) the whine is just annoying.

That isn't to say that electric might not be the best choice for you. But you asked for opinions...

l

This is something that has always not sat well with me lol. How does an electric fan save gas mileage? The laws of conservation of energy/thermodynamics would basically say that electric fans should use MORE energy than a mechanical one.

Think about it. The engine turns, turning the fan, done.

If you use an electric fan, the engine turns, to turn and alternator (energy is lost) which then charges a battery (energy is lost) which then passes through a relay/fuse system (energy lost) then finally powers the fan. So those electric fans require more power from the engine in order to run.

l

This is something that has always not sat well with me lol. How does an electric fan save gas mileage? The laws of conservation of energy/thermodynamics would basically say that electric fans should use MORE energy than a mechanical one.

Think about it. The engine turns, turning the fan, done.

If you use an electric fan, the engine turns, to turn and alternator (energy is lost) which then charges a battery (energy is lost) which then passes through a relay/fuse system (energy lost) then finally powers the fan. So those electric fans require more power from the engine in order to run.

I think the usual answer to the extra energy needed is "they only run when needed". How valid that is for less total energy used, I do not know.

I think the usual answer to the extra energy needed is "they only run when needed". How valid that is for less total energy used, I do not know.

A 2000 Crown Victoria electric fan matches our truck radiator size pretty well, if you stick the 3G alternator on and use the Hi-Ram 50 amp relay for high it will work well. I couldn't do it on Darth due to the lack of space.

Fan noise, you have never heard what Darth's clutch fan in heavy traffic, summer heat, AC on and towing a 30ft 5th wheel on US 301 East side of DC sounds like, from a stop light up to about 45-50 mph, it sounds like one of NASA Langley's wind tunnels, the full scale one.

So I actually already have a 3G alternator on the truck, it’s a standard 90amp though. Extra electrical loads I have are an electric fuel pump, efi system, and MSD 6AL ignition. Other than that it’s just standard lights and such. When I swapped in my 95 351w motor I also swapped in all of the accessories at the same time so now I have a serpentine system along with new accessories (will put that in my signature, need to update it).