Bullnose Forums

Bronco 351W intake gasket issue

I finally took the intake manifold off Espy today.

As you can see from the pic below the old (less that 2 years) gasket failed pretty bad at the top middle of the Passenger side.

09FA22B7-369A-4B28-B259-10D2F2041DE3.jpeg.5607dacf451875d5632f9a68caae40d2.jpeg

Now, when i mated up the new gasket (felpro 1250s) it doesn’t cover the top middle oil hole!!

5DDABC65-1C37-4CE6-8384-783F2B87B8E9.jpeg.a64ab92b6114f33675902062a780dc49.jpeg

This is exactly where the old gasket failed!

How do i find a gasket that will actually fit the engine?

Advice greatly appreciated as always!

I thought they were blind holes (don't go anywhere)?

I remember seeing the same thing on my 302 (with the same heads) when I pulled my engine out. They were like that from the factory, with the gasket not fully covering those holes. Isn't it just a shallow blind hole?

all12963-4_1280x851_.jpg.ee3bf2faacdc77d3060d646f68b171e8.jpg

I thought they were blind holes (don't go anywhere)?

I remember seeing the same thing on my 302 (with the same heads) when I pulled my engine out. They were like that from the factory, with the gasket not fully covering those holes. Isn't it just a shallow blind hole?

Ah! Maybe. That would be nice!

It is chilly outside, i will poke around tomorrow.. if they are blind i will install these gaskets.

Jetlag really messes with your head, I can’t think straight today!

It is chilly outside, i will poke around tomorrow.. if they are blind i will install these gaskets.

I remember seeing that myself and wondering what was up, but check them anyway. I think they are just dead holes.

Not sure I see where they are completely blocked in the old pic, but maybe I'm missing something?

I think they are blind holes.

It’s hard to see as they are blocked 🤣

There was RTV and a gasket covering them, it is hard to see.

Weather should be 55-60 on Tuesday so i will install the intake then.

Thanks for the help!!

And now you've lost another hour.... :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Maybe you should check that the manifold and head surfaces are reasonably straight?

It doesn't seem right to lose a gasket like that in two years.

I usually torque in two stages, and then go back over it just to get a click from the wrench.

And now you've lost another hour.... :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Maybe you should check that the manifold and head surfaces are reasonably straight?

It doesn't seem right to lose a gasket like that in two years.

I usually torque in two stages, and then go back over it just to get a click from the wrench.

When I installed the gaskets last time, I was never happy with the gaskets or the process.. I thought the rtv would have failed before the gaskets though.

As I am waiting for warmer weather, I have ordered ARP studs for the intake and valve covers..

When I installed the gaskets last time, I was never happy with the gaskets or the process.. I thought the rtv would have failed before the gaskets though.

As I am waiting for warmer weather, I have ordered ARP studs for the intake and valve covers..

I would also double check another set of gaskets. Recently on Facebook and actually at my work I have had a few customers come in with Fel Pro and Edelbrock gaskets that are completely incorrectly made. Bolt holes not lining up, too long etc.

Big reason why this time I opted for Mahle gaskets.