Bullnose Forums

F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834

Yes, I heard the sigh from here but didn't know what it was! :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think I see three different approaches: from back w/o jack stands; from back with jack stands; from side with jack stands. And it was the latter that worked?

I fully understand about priorities, use of money, etc. The COVID-19 virus and the impact it is, and will, have on the economy has already changed my priorities. (And worrying about the kids has taken away some of my drive.)

So I can appreciate the shifting plans, for sure.

Glad you got the bed off without any damage to you or the bed Jonathan. When we unloaded my new cab from the trailer, one of the straps came off of the hook which sent the cab backwards while the engine crane went through the brand new windshield. :nabble_smiley_cry: And that's why I have a hundred cracks in the windshield of my F350. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I fully understand about priorities, use of money, etc. The COVID-19 virus and the impact it is, and will, have on the economy has already changed my priorities. (And worrying about the kids has taken away some of my drive.)

Yep, my F350 is about to shutter down after the parts I already have on order come in because I can't see and can't predict the future of the economy. I think my job is probably safe, but being sent home early each day to save payroll may be a possibility. We find out tomorrow.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you got the bed off without any damage to you or the bed Jonathan. When we unloaded my new cab from the trailer, one of the straps came off of the hook which sent the cab backwards while the engine crane went through the brand new windshield. :nabble_smiley_cry: And that's why I have a hundred cracks in the windshield of my F350. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Yep, my F350 is about to shutter down after the parts I already have on order come in because I can't see and can't predict the future of the economy. I think my job is probably safe, but being sent home early each day to save payroll may be a possibility. We find out tomorrow.

You broke your NEW windshield???? :nabble_smiley_oh:

As for the job, here's hoping it'll be secure. But I can understand stopping projects for a bit.

Having said that, there might be opportunities in the future to buy ones that others need out of. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it may well.

As for the job, here's hoping it'll be secure. But I can understand stopping projects for a bit.

Having said that, there might be opportunities in the future to buy ones that others need out of. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it may well.

And why would you buy another project when you have so many in que?

It seems there's a Bird and a couple of French vehicles standing in the wings.

Me, I'm waiting for the deluge to stop so I can futz with my parking brakes and later dive into the D44.

Maybe Jonathan can just weld the center section of his 'new' radiator support into the water hauler, after fitting the IDI and Zf into the 450.

Getting the bed on shouldn't be much of a challenge after getting it off the pickup.

And why would you buy another project when you have so many in que?

It seems there's a Bird and a couple of French vehicles standing in the wings.

Me, I'm waiting for the deluge to stop so I can futz with my parking brakes and later dive into the D44.

Maybe Jonathan can just weld the center section of his 'new' radiator support into the water hauler, after fitting the IDI and Zf into the 450.

Getting the bed on shouldn't be much of a challenge after getting it off the pickup.

It was a generic thought, not for me specifically. No, I do NOT need another project. (Now, if I find a finished Bronco....)

Oh man 😭. Sorry to hear that Shaun... and hopefully your project will only experience a brief hold. Maybe it’s a good time for some sweat equity aspects of the project? I guess in my case water hauling can be classified under essential services... minus cosmetic preferences.

There may indeed be some very attractive deals on half finished projects or parked project cars as people fall on hard times and the demand is low. It will be a buyer’s market, but I count myself among those who will have to pass unless I land another good paying job that is stable. Hopefully I won’t be one of the ones forced to sell...

It was a perfect windshield that seemed to have been replaced within the last few years prior to me acquiring the cab. Now, it's completely shattered. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Oh man 😭. Sorry to hear that Shaun... and hopefully your project will only experience a brief hold. Maybe it’s a good time for some sweat equity aspects of the project? I guess in my case water hauling can be classified under essential services... minus cosmetic preferences.

There's definitely plenty of sweat equity needed for sure. But there's still so many things I need to purchase as well to do other things (sound deadening for the firewall, firewall brace, etc.) and it adds up quickly, hence why I'm erring on the side of caution. I have money in savings and four weeks worth of PTO, but I'm not a risk taker and have always been on the frugal side anyway.

There's definitely plenty of sweat equity needed for sure. But there's still so many things I need to purchase as well to do other things (sound deadening for the firewall, firewall brace, etc.) and it adds up quickly, hence why I'm erring on the side of caution. I have money in savings and four weeks worth of PTO, but I'm not a risk taker and have always been on the frugal side anyway.

The half-finished projects I've seen over the years haven't been a good starting point for whatever I'd want. And the "finished" ones haven't been done to my satisfaction - like the Bronco the guy wanted $10k for but with the tires he had on it the 3.50's needed to be changed so it would get out of its own way. So you had to spend another $1k to re-gear or re-tire.

I have too many projects as it is. But you young'uns might be able to pick up something that you can work on when times get good again. Keep your eyes open.

I have too many projects as it is. But you young'uns might be able to pick up something that you can work on when times get good again. Keep your eyes open.

I *might* have my eyes open for a 1980-1991 regular cab short bed 4x4 F150 as a replacement for my Ranger, provided the new truck runs well and doesn't get worse fuel mileage than my Ranger. :nabble_smiley_wink: I have zero desire to own any Ford full-size pickup newer than 1996, so may as well go older since that's what I know best. Only reason I have a 2003 Ranger is because they are still VERY similar to the 87-96 trucks aside from the SLA Torsion bar suspension and are very easy to work on.

It was a generic thought, not for me specifically. No, I do NOT need another project. (Now, if I find a finished Bronco....)

Maybe not "finished", but looks good and not too highly priced:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ford-Bronco-XLT-4X4-302-V8-CALIFORNIA-RUST-FREE-VEHICLE-4WD/193387943372?hash=item2d06d1d5cc%3Ag%3AcekAAOSw6VVec9oR&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C2500