Bullnose Forums

F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834

I've already pulled myself both into the cab with the steering wheel as well as off the floor - many times. And each time I did it I thought "I used to tell myself NO when I started to do this, but I sure am glad I don't have to do that now." So I'm glad I went with the non-tilting column.

As for "needing" to use the larger patch, I didn't/don't think I needed to. But, I had the larger patch so it was more "why not". I agree it is overkill. But so is a 12K winch, 3000 watts of AC, and ~360 HP. So the patch fits right in. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary, sounds like you need medium duty grab handles?

4B0E0CF8-59EE-46D9-8743-46772A258EA7.jpeg.fa013b3d0965fb90a0386a3557be9656.jpeg

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Thank you gentlemen for the information and ideas! It had not occurred to me about the firewall brace, but that would be an excellent aid in placing and reinforcing the area. The main issue with using the brace itself as intended is that the Aero cab lacks all of the attachment points for the two corner flats. I think what we are looking at inside the Aero cab is already a secondary reinforcing plate as there is a lip around the clutch master cylinder hole. This could be ground down, or the brace could be trimmed to fit in the recessed area. It is probably not thick enough to help, but I could also chunk out that part of the bricknose firewall as a template...

Grumpin, the Lake Havasu yard does have a few Bullnose but not very many and they have been there a while. It depends on what you need. For engine/mechanical parts or body panels you might have some luck, but if you are looking for trim or interior items it probably isn’t worth your time. They have a very decent bed that I was scoping for my ‘81 but unfortunately it only has the one fuel door and I only have a rear tank 😔

“Grumpin, the Lake Havasu yard does have a few Bullnose but not very many and they have been there a while. It depends on what you need. For engine/mechanical parts or body panels you might have some luck, but if you are looking for trim or interior items it probably isn’t worth your time. They have a very decent bed that I was scoping for my ‘81 but unfortunately it only has the one fuel door and I only have a rear tank 😔

Ok, thanks. Bummer on the bed, looks good in the picture.

I don’t like using the steering wheel to pull up either. But the PO of my 94 F250 did it all the time.

When I bought that truck I was surprised how stiff the wheel was, like he never did it. It was tilt also.

...as far as unnecessarily replacing or upgrading parts Jim....well, isn't that part of the whole hobby?

What else would we do?...

I'm not building a One Hoss Shay, Nor do I want to.

I want to get where I'm going without drama.

I want everything to work, and be reliable.

I don't want to spend countless hours mucking around polishing screws or lining up their slots.

And I don't have weeks of Saturdays in which to do it.

This is no dig at any of you that do.

Micromanage and 'perfect' all you want.

It not only brings you pleasure it brings us all together.

I guess I don't really see this as a hobby.

It's my life every day, for as long as I can remember.

Keeping stuff alive, and giving it a nudge forward, when I can.

There is reward in that. 🙂

Gary, sounds like you need medium duty grab handles?

David - Mad Magazine pointed out that Teddy Roosevelt loved ice cream, but couldn't sneak it past the guards in the White House, so he had his niece get it for him, and here is the full quote of what he actually said to her: "Speak softly and carry a big sticky, gooey, delicious ice cream sundae back to me here in the Oval Office!!" :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jonathan - That's a much better looking grab handle than the ones that look like they were intended for bathrooms. I have one of those that was on the dash of Dad's truck.

So, that one's from a medium duty truck? Hmmm, that's a possibility. I'll have to see how high Big Blue sits when done, but I have a feeling Janey would love grab handles like that.

A lot of stuff we do to our trucks we do solely for the pleasure, isn't it? I know I'm guilty.

We buy things we don't need and upgrade things that don't need to be upgraded...lol.

Hey, I'm still running the original 40amp 1G alternator, the original starter, and a stock replacement C2 power steering pump. They are all perfectly adequate for what I do. I will potentially upgrade them when the time comes that they need replacing.

I am fully aware that some things I do are more for psychological peace of mind than mechanical benefit.:nabble_smiley_grin:

What is it they say? It's not a feature, it's a bug? lol.

...as far as unnecessarily replacing or upgrading parts Jim....well, isn't that part of the whole hobby?

What else would we do?...

I'm not building a One Hoss Shay, Nor do I want to.

I want to get where I'm going without drama.

I want everything to work, and be reliable.

I don't want to spend countless hours mucking around polishing screws or lining up their slots.

And I don't have weeks of Saturdays in which to do it.

This is no dig at any of you that do.

Micromanage and 'perfect' all you want.

I guess I don't really see this as a hobby.

It's my life every day, for as long as I can remember.

Keeping stuff alive, and giving it a nudge forward, when I can.

There is reward in that. 🙂

Gary, that is indeed a stock F600/F700 grab handle. They are utilitarian, but to my eyes much nicer looking than the aftermarket shower bars you speak of. They are also very solid and feel good in the hand, unlike said shower bars that have tight corners and feel like they might drop you on your butt.

Jim, I am with you on the practical daily life aspect of these trucks. I enjoy the cosmetic details and hope to eventually be able to lavish a bit more time on them, but my ‘81 and this truck have the vital roll of delivering our household water out here in the desert. I am far more interested in making it dependable and having things work the way they should. Maybe it’s all in my head, but I don’t like the rat’s nest of Aeronose wires, computer boxes, unused plugs and connectors hanging everywhere that I do not know the function of. Maybe if I sort it all and tape wrap all the unused stuff I would be more comfortable working with what is there. I am still waiting to decide until I see the extent of the damage behind the dash.

Gary, that is indeed a stock F600/F700 grab handle. They are utilitarian, but to my eyes much nicer looking than the aftermarket shower bars you speak of. They are also very solid and feel good in the hand, unlike said shower bars that have tight corners and feel like they might drop you on your butt.

Jim, I am with you on the practical daily life aspect of these trucks. I enjoy the cosmetic details and hope to eventually be able to lavish a bit more time on them, but my ‘81 and this truck have the vital roll of delivering our household water out here in the desert. I am far more interested in making it dependable and having things work the way they should. Maybe it’s all in my head, but I don’t like the rat’s nest of Aeronose wires, computer boxes, unused plugs and connectors hanging everywhere that I do not know the function of. Maybe if I sort it all and tape wrap all the unused stuff I would be more comfortable working with what is there. I am still waiting to decide until I see the extent of the damage behind the dash.

Jonathan - I'll have to look for some of those grab handles, although I should ask Janey first.

As for the wiring, I have a '96 EVTM. Might it help? If so, what sections do you need? I'll scan them in and create a page for them.

Jonathan - I'll have to look for some of those grab handles, although I should ask Janey first.

As for the wiring, I have a '96 EVTM. Might it help? If so, what sections do you need? I'll scan them in and create a page for them.

:nabble_smiley_good:. Gary, tirelessly going the extra mile for everyone here on the forum!

I may not do it often enough, but I really want to express my heartfelt appreciation for all you do, Gary.

I have a '96 EVTM. Might it help? If so, what sections do you need? I'll scan them in and create a page for them.

Thank you very much Gary. That may prove helpful in sorting out the nightmare if I end up going that route... but hold off on it until I see whether or not I want to use the existing wiring. If I get time this weekend I may try to hook up a battery and at least see what works and what doesn’t as far as lights, signals, gauges, wipers, and HVAC. Obviously engine starting and charging is another story, and I will have to decide how much importance to place on glow plug control / afterglow and IP cold advance functions.

:nabble_smiley_good:. Gary, tirelessly going the extra mile for everyone here on the forum!

I may not do it often enough, but I really want to express my heartfelt appreciation for all you do, Gary.

A heartfelt second to that statement. Your generosity with your time and effort to help others is genuinely amazing. :nabble_anim_handshake: