Bullnose Forums

F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834

Oh, I didn't realize that. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Well, I'm pretty sure the Terrapin made brace did, which is now NLA, but not sure on the KBG brace.

Bronco Graveyard brace...

Now discontinued Terrapin brace (This is the one I have in my truck)

Different masters...I originally bought the wrong one by mistake.

The braces have a slotted hole on the bottom, and two separate ones on the top. Pretty sure it fits both.

Terrapin brace:

Old_Firewall_Brace_vs_New_Brace.thumb.jpg.7a173bc27bca19d9d80f8c16950dd1b7.jpg

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. So you can see that the smaller brace has only the vertical holes.

Ya. I still have one of those that I pulled out of my truck.

IDK why people pull the smaller one to go through the headache of the big one. ๐Ÿ˜ต

If the small one is installed in time the big one is unnecessary.

Go read the TSB's on both of them.

IDK why people pull the smaller one to go through the headache of the big one. ๐Ÿ˜ต

As one who just did that, I think I'm qualified to reply. I'm going with a heavy duty clutch in Big Blue, so knew the pressure on the firewall would be going up. Not knowing if the little brace, which hadn't been properly installed, would handle it I went with the larger brace.

In addition, Big Blue will be lifted as well as used off-road. The lift means the steering column is going to get used to pull one's self in. And the off-road bit means the firewall may be under additional and different stress than before. So the large brace seemed prudent.

But, I will agree that it is a pain to install. And one of the biggest problems was getting the cowl off so I could put the backing plate in. But I got it off and the brace in, and I'm happy that I did it.

As one who just did that, I think I'm qualified to reply. I'm going with a heavy duty clutch in Big Blue, so knew the pressure on the firewall would be going up. Not knowing if the little brace, which hadn't been properly installed, would handle it I went with the larger brace.

In addition, Big Blue will be lifted as well as used off-road. The lift means the steering column is going to get used to pull one's self in. And the off-road bit means the firewall may be under additional and different stress than before. So the large brace seemed prudent.

But, I will agree that it is a pain to install. And one of the biggest problems was getting the cowl off so I could put the backing plate in. But I got it off and the brace in, and I'm happy that I did it.

The small one (properly installed, bolted through the tunnel) is really more than enough.

My truck now has 455,766.6 miles on it.

That pedal has been pushed many... many times.

I can't speak to having to pull yourself up on the steering wheel.

I thought that's what nerf bars are for??? ๐Ÿ˜‚

The cab is a pretty stiff box mounted on rubber isolators.

I can see the mounts working harder when the truck is crossed up and the frame is flexing -a lot-

But the whole idea of 'needing to' use the patch "intended for servicing firewalls with severe tearing and delamination" (their words) is beyond me.

I'm sure the small one is fine if it was installed properly and in time. Mine was not.

I like the stronger/larger brace. It's in there now and I never have to think about it again, ever.

Now...as far as unnecessarily replacing or upgrading parts Jim....well, isn't that part of the whole hobby?:nabble_smiley_happy:

What else would we do?...lol.

ย 

The small one (properly installed, bolted through the tunnel) is really more than enough.

My truck now has 455,766.6 miles on it.

That pedal has been pushed many... many times.

I can't speak to having to pull yourself up on the steering wheel.

I thought that's what nerf bars are for??? ๐Ÿ˜‚

The cab is a pretty stiff box mounted on rubber isolators.

I can see the mounts working harder when the truck is crossed up and the frame is flexing -a lot-

But the whole idea of 'needing to' use the patch "intended for servicing firewalls with severe tearing and delamination" (their words) is beyond me.

I've already pulled myself both into the cab with the steering wheel as well as off the floor - many times. And each time I did it I thought "I used to tell myself NO when I started to do this, but I sure am glad I don't have to do that now." So I'm glad I went with the non-tilting column.

As for "needing" to use the larger patch, I didn't/don't think I needed to. But, I had the larger patch so it was more "why not". I agree it is overkill. But so is a 12K winch, 3000 watts of AC, and ~360 HP. So the patch fits right in. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Terrapin brace:

Wow! Thank you gentlemen for the information and ideas! It had not occurred to me about the firewall brace, but that would be an excellent aid in placing and reinforcing the area. The main issue with using the brace itself as intended is that the Aero cab lacks all of the attachment points for the two corner flats. I think what we are looking at inside the Aero cab is already a secondary reinforcing plate as there is a lip around the clutch master cylinder hole. This could be ground down, or the brace could be trimmed to fit in the recessed area. It is probably not thick enough to help, but I could also chunk out that part of the bricknose firewall as a template...

390B5112-4688-43AA-A951-957C01A357E0.jpeg.15437252f661d494136c4201223da164.jpeg

Grumpin, the Lake Havasu yard does have a few Bullnose but not very many and they have been there a while. It depends on what you need. For engine/mechanical parts or body panels you might have some luck, but if you are looking for trim or interior items it probably isnโ€™t worth your time. They have a very decent bed that I was scoping for my โ€˜81 but unfortunately it only has the one fuel door and I only have a rear tank ๐Ÿ˜”

5B6DFB40-F8F6-412A-85E4-B6C5B586606F.jpeg.2aa9a620e507e9aab7147f2a781e519a.jpeg

As for "needing" to use the larger patch, I didn't/don't think I needed to. But, I had the larger patch so it was more "why not". I agree it is overkill. But so is a 12K winch, 3000 watts of AC, and ~360 HP. So the patch fits right in. :nabble_smiley_wink:

"Walk softly and carry a big stick!" :nabble_smiley_good: