Bullnose Forums

F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834

If you buy an inert gas bottle you can have it filled with *whatever*

The welding supply will just slap a sticker on it identifying the contents.

IF they do fills on the spot.

There are conventions WRT which colors are for what gas (beyond the obvious, like green for O2 or black and silver for acetylene)

I think my 75/25 cylinder is maroon or burgundy.

My advice is not that of a professional weldor.

My skill is not there, like some guys I know who weld nuclear, precision equipment, airframes or submarines.

I'm just telling you what works best for me., and I hope it's good advice.

I never heard that about argon leading to brittle welds.

I'm going to ask some friends.

Thanks, I will gladly take advice from another non-professional regarding what worked well and give it a try. I, too, want to fact check the brittle weld claim. This guy is obviously good, and he has been welding for a living his whole life. He owns some pretty crazy equipment and is not “shade tree” but just because he does it a certain way does not make it science. Argon and argon mixtures cost a lot more than CO2, and it’s hard to believe people would continue to buy and use it if it did not have advantages over CO2.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I will gladly take advice from another non-professional regarding what worked well and give it a try. I, too, want to fact check the brittle weld claim. This guy is obviously good, and he has been welding for a living his whole life. He owns some pretty crazy equipment and is not “shade tree” but just because he does it a certain way does not make it science. Argon and argon mixtures cost a lot more than CO2, and it’s hard to believe people would continue to buy and use it if it did not have advantages over CO2.

I typed a big reply and "poof"! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

I get my 80 swapped for $32.50.

Best price I've found and prices vary A LOT, so if you can, check around.

Also try on some scrap turning down the flowmeter until it acts up and then go back.

Almost like adjusting idle mixture by vacuum.

There's no need to waste gas.

IMG_20200519_075111.thumb.jpg.8c604cac7e97bf43c672bd0bee7bafa6.jpg

I typed a big reply and "poof"! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I get my 80 swapped for $32.50.

Best price I've found and prices vary A LOT, so if you can, check around.

Also try on some scrap turning down the flowmeter until it acts up and then go back.

Almost like adjusting idle mixture by vacuum.

There's no need to waste gas.

Thanks Jim... more good advice! I did find an article that says 100% argon isn’t suitable for regular mig steel welding as it produces narrow, deeply penetrating welds that are brittle. Maybe that’s what this guy was talking about, not a blend...

https://welditu.com/welding/tips-mig/mig-welding-with-100-argon/

Thanks Jim... more good advice! I did find an article that says 100% argon isn’t suitable for regular mig steel welding as it produces narrow, deeply penetrating welds that are brittle. Maybe that’s what this guy was talking about, not a blend...

I think WelderScott has me on a 3-gas mix, but I can't remember what the 3rd gas is. Or, even if there is one. :nabble_anim_confused:

Right, but you'll need pure argon for TIG, if you're MIG welding stainless (or using a spool gun for aluminum)

Ask the guy who welded up your radiator support.

I'm sure he's forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Dual shield is good with straight CO2.

I think CO2 and mix are inherently safer in many situations too.

At least if you're in a tank or vessel being built you will feel like you're suffocating before you go under.

The human body has no reaction to straight argon.(or any of the noble gasses)

Tri mix is mostly helium, but that gets real spendy!

I was wrong. :nabble_smiley_blush: WelderScott called about something else so I asked him what gas I have - 90/10. He said that it is a good all-round gas, but it runs a bit hotter than 75/25. So if you are welding sheet metal just turn the heat down and you'll have a good weld. But, if doing 1/4" stuff all the time he'd recommend 75/25.

I was wrong. :nabble_smiley_blush: WelderScott called about something else so I asked him what gas I have - 90/10. He said that it is a good all-round gas, but it runs a bit hotter than 75/25. So if you are welding sheet metal just turn the heat down and you'll have a good weld. But, if doing 1/4" stuff all the time he'd recommend 75/25.

Thanks Gary, that is helpful. Except for fish-plate the crew cab frame, most of the welding jobs that come to mind right now are on thinner metal. I will see what my options are here for mixes. I just need a flexible all purpose one to learn on and hopefully get acceptable results...

Thanks Gary, that is helpful. Except for fish-plate the crew cab frame, most of the welding jobs that come to mind right now are on thinner metal. I will see what my options are here for mixes. I just need a flexible all purpose one to learn on and hopefully get acceptable results...

He said the 90/10 would be fine for fishplating the frame, just not quite as good as 75/25.

And I asked him if he remembered you. He said "Sure! He's the guy that gave me the Ford emblem for my truck - and didn't tell me."

Btw, almost done with the EVTM. Turns out it is a '96. But it should work.

Hmmm, that's not an option where I go. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

They do have 95/5, but that's too hot and spattery for my skill on any kind of sheet metal.

I have a hard time finding balance between penetration and burn through.