Bullnose Forums

F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834

It was a generic thought, not for me specifically. No, I do NOT need another project. (Now, if I find a finished Bronco....)

Maybe not "finished", but looks good and not too highly priced:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ford-Bronco-XLT-4X4-302-V8-CALIFORNIA-RUST-FREE-VEHICLE-4WD/193387943372?hash=item2d06d1d5cc%3Ag%3AcekAAOSw6VVec9oR&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C2500

Not a bad truck at all, but the bid is likely to go right on up.

I think it is way too early to be thinking about buying, although I just mentioned the idea to the love of my life and she said "How many old trucks do you want?" To which I said "Maybe a Bronco." And the "Oh" I got back could be taken as "That makes some sense because Bret wants one." (It could also be taken as "If you want another hole in your head I'll oblige." But I like my translation better and won't ask what she meant.)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is way too early to be thinking about buying, although I just mentioned the idea to the love of my life and she said "How many old trucks do you want?" To which I said "Maybe a Bronco." And the "Oh" I got back could be taken as "That makes some sense because Bret wants one." (It could also be taken as "If you want another hole in your head I'll oblige." But I like my translation better and won't ask what she meant.)

As I have been known to say before, that Janey is a keeper! :nabble_smiley_good:

As I have been known to say before, that Janey is a keeper! :nabble_smiley_good:

No progress to report... but something is bothering me.... I was looking through my pictures and I am seeing that this ‘95 cross member looks different than the IDI’s I have seen. The 460 mounted to a pair of raised mounts on the back side of the main cross bar. These are not there on IDI trucks. I am hoping these can come off and that the cross member itself will accept the IDI perches, but I’m not 100% on that. I am, however, 100% that the welded in plates used to mount the CTD will have to come out, and that will be a pain in the caboose.

9184DDEF-CEBD-472F-B070-43906FC7F14C.jpeg.5ddb7ad07e4fd1ab370a87565057a373.jpeg

ABD1C41E-9C2B-4372-A5FA-568985B05684.jpeg.bc6846c4dd2c9e2f29611977a0b80efc.jpeg

This is the cross member and perches on my ‘86 F350 IDI:

271DCF7A-8743-43CB-8434-3B4E634E78C8.png.f6626cc9e8fdc4a710a39f36c167fa87.png

No progress to report... but something is bothering me.... I was looking through my pictures and I am seeing that this ‘95 cross member looks different than the IDI’s I have seen. The 460 mounted to a pair of raised mounts on the back side of the main cross bar. These are not there on IDI trucks. I am hoping these can come off and that the cross member itself will accept the IDI perches, but I’m not 100% on that. I am, however, 100% that the welded in plates used to mount the CTD will have to come out, and that will be a pain in the caboose.

This is the cross member and perches on my ‘86 F350 IDI:

The 460 brackets should be bolted on. I can see some of the bolts in the pics. Big Blue's do and there are holes there in the frame and crossmember for them on the '95 front clip I got.

And I doubt those extra plates need to come out. The IDI perches close off those hole anyway so you obviously don't reach through there for anything. And the IDI perches appear to sit right on top, so at the most you might have to grind a weld flat.

The 460 brackets should be bolted on. I can see some of the bolts in the pics. Big Blue's do and there are holes there in the frame and crossmember for them on the '95 front clip I got.

And I doubt those extra plates need to come out. The IDI perches close off those hole anyway so you obviously don't reach through there for anything. And the IDI perches appear to sit right on top, so at the most you might have to grind a weld flat.

Jonathan, the holes are there for the diesel plates, so you're good to go. You just need to get rid of those plates that were welded in.

And I doubt those extra plates need to come out. The IDI perches close off those hole anyway so you obviously don't reach through there for anything.

That's incorrect, the plates are covering the holes you would use to access the motor mount studs. The plates need to go away. Luckily for Jonathan, the crossmember doesn't appear to be hacked up like the one on Big Blue.

And I doubt those extra plates need to come out. The IDI perches close off those hole anyway so you obviously don't reach through there for anything.

That's incorrect, the plates are covering the holes you would use to access the motor mount studs. The plates need to go away. Luckily for Jonathan, the crossmember doesn't appear to be hacked up like the one on Big Blue.

Good point! I sit corrected and chagrined. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Thanks Gary... it’s good to know the 460 brackets unbolt. I think mine may have some welds also, but probably not factory.

The plates won’t interfere with the perches themselves, but the motor mount bolts/nuts need to go there.

99EE7430-4FC3-4914-9A73-8DF9AEE5D341.jpeg.aeeab08186a7beba00837202661104ca.jpeg

Sold for $6600:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ford-Bronco-XLT-4X4-302-V8-CALIFORNIA-RUST-FREE-VEHICLE-4WD/193387943372?hash=item2d06d1d5cc%3Ag%3AcekAAOSw6VVec9oR&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C2500

Sold for $6600:

That was a nice Bronco, and not a bad price.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Gary... it’s good to know the 460 brackets unbolt. I think mine may have some welds also, but probably not factory.

The plates won’t interfere with the perches themselves, but the motor mount bolts/nuts need to go there.

Very small update... I got the aeronose core support welded up by a nice local Golden Valley man for $40. He took his time and did a nice job. He pulled the gaps together with a long pipe clamp and made it straight and solid. It’s amazing (and disappointing) how thin the metal is. All of the strength is in the profile. I also noticed a tear in the sheet metal on the passenger door near the wing window. I have no idea what happened there but wow, these things are like soda cans 😔.

I am still not 100% sure on how I want to proceed. I farmer rigged a battery and see that I have basic lights and horn, but I have no key, so I can’t check things with switched power. The under hood harness looks very unfamiliar, as well as modified for the cummins swap. What will take less time? Sorting out the ‘95 wiring and make it work with the IDI or the whole dash swap. Both are a little intimidating. Gary do you have any wire diagrams that might cover 1995? I particularly need details about the charging circuits and starter/ignition. I can go full manual on the glow plugs and injection pump functions if I have to.