Bullnose Forum

F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834

Uffff! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I can't see being able to make that mess right.

If you're going to the pick'n pull maybe you could strip an entire harness?

Yes, the locksmith would have to ask for title, otherwise anyone could read a VIN through the windshield and have a key made.

The nice part is that the harness separates at the firewall. The bad part is that there's a few more wires than bullnose trucks. And it's hard to find unmolested wiring in the pick and pulls. It's getting even harder to find pick and pulls.

The nice part is that the harness separates at the firewall. The bad part is that there's a few more wires than bullnose trucks. And it's hard to find unmolested wiring in the pick and pulls. It's getting even harder to find pick and pulls.

Jim, the only way I can realistically salvage this harness would be to focus on the handful of critical systems that I need to make the thing run and forget about restoring full factory function... especially regarding the instrument cluster.

Shaun, sourcing an intact Aeronose harness might be an option... subject to availability... and there were several wiring changes through the years for the clusters, so one would have to note the donor year and model carefully. I dread the disappearance of pick n pulls as few employees know what they are looking at or even care.

I was not able to go to the junkyard today, but I will try for Monday and see what presents itself...

Jim, the only way I can realistically salvage this harness would be to focus on the handful of critical systems that I need to make the thing run and forget about restoring full factory function... especially regarding the instrument cluster.

Shaun, sourcing an intact Aeronose harness might be an option... subject to availability... and there were several wiring changes through the years for the clusters, so one would have to note the donor year and model carefully. I dread the disappearance of pick n pulls as few employees know what they are looking at or even care.

I was not able to go to the junkyard today, but I will try for Monday and see what presents itself...

Man, that looks like a mess! I've had "fun" fixing Big Blue's wiring, but at least his wasn't that badly hacked. That doesn't look like fun.

Man, that looks like a mess! I've had "fun" fixing Big Blue's wiring, but at least his wasn't that badly hacked. That doesn't look like fun.

So, do we have a new category of "Arizona Man"?

Should it be the tweaker of the week award?

The saddest part (aside from what Jonathan is left with) is that person is probably very proud of what a great job they did!

So, do we have a new category of "Arizona Man"?

Should it be the tweaker of the week award?

The saddest part (aside from what Jonathan is left with) is that person is probably very proud of what a great job they did!

Maybe :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: was visiting his cousin?

But, perhaps you are onto something. A Tweaker Of The Week thread where people post their "finds"?

I thought I was way ahead with Big Blue, but Jonathan may be closing in on me.

Maybe :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: was visiting his cousin?

But, perhaps you are onto something. A Tweaker Of The Week thread where people post their "finds"?

I thought I was way ahead with Big Blue, but Jonathan may be closing in on me.

I didn’t expect anything less... given that their MO for taking the Cummins in and out was to take a sawzall to the core support and then weld it back up. But they sawzall’d the plastic grille frame too... I’ve seen this method employed on vans where there really isn’t room to get the engine out and few people have the means to lift a van body off its frame... but for an OBS pickup c’mon. That’s extreme LAZY to not unbolt stuff... so this is on me folks. I saw this when I bought it, and I bought it anyway. Part of me regrets buying it, but every time I see the 10 lug axles on the short pickup-like wheelbase I feel reassured that it will be worth it... it’s just not going to be easy peasy to get there. I’ve got some roofing to do this weekend and some clean up before monsoons start in earnest. Then I’ll see what options the junkyard has for me...

I didn’t expect anything less... given that their MO for taking the Cummins in and out was to take a sawzall to the core support and then weld it back up. But they sawzall’d the plastic grille frame too... I’ve seen this method employed on vans where there really isn’t room to get the engine out and few people have the means to lift a van body off its frame... but for an OBS pickup c’mon. That’s extreme LAZY to not unbolt stuff... so this is on me folks. I saw this when I bought it, and I bought it anyway. Part of me regrets buying it, but every time I see the 10 lug axles on the short pickup-like wheelbase I feel reassured that it will be worth it... it’s just not going to be easy peasy to get there. I’ve got some roofing to do this weekend and some clean up before monsoons start in earnest. Then I’ll see what options the junkyard has for me...

You've got a Super duty and that's all that matters. 💪

It will come together.

You're doing the right thing, making intelligent choices so you don't have to backtrack later on

You've got a Super duty and that's all that matters. 💪

It will come together.

You're doing the right thing, making intelligent choices so you don't have to backtrack later on

I remember when I picked up my F350, I figured I would stab an engine and transmission in it and drive on down the road. That's completely snowballed into building a truck that has had every nut and bolt removed, and has also needed a partial wiring harness repair. I'm a long ways from done, but it's gonna be one awesome truck and will be worth it in the end. I feel the same way about your truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

I remember when I picked up my F350, I figured I would stab an engine and transmission in it and drive on down the road. That's completely snowballed into building a truck that has had every nut and bolt removed, and has also needed a partial wiring harness repair. I'm a long ways from done, but it's gonna be one awesome truck and will be worth it in the end. I feel the same way about your truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

This story sounds familiar. Where have I heard it before? Wait! I've told it time and time again! :nabble_smiley_cry:

This story sounds familiar. Where have I heard it before? Wait! I've told it time and time again! :nabble_smiley_cry:

I’m really trying not to let this turn into a rebuild down to the last nut and bolt. I have one of those already... and it’s been disassembled since 2013. I also intend to keep it indefinitely, and I won’t want to take it out of commission for major changes later on so it behooves me to get the foundation right. That’s my primary objective along with establishing some maintainable reliability. I know it’s all a used crap shoot, but best as I can with what I have.