Bullnose Forums

F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834

Jim, my dash that is in Darth came from a 1996 F350 Centaurus conversion crew cab DRW truck. A tree fell on the front of the cab roof.

That is also where the Alcoa wheels came from and the power sliding rear cab window.

As for the disconnect tools, I have a much larger set as I also needed Chrysler tools and since GM ones were also included I have a pretty comprehensive set.

Oh! :nabble_smiley_blush:

I'm glad the tree only got the front of the cab, and the rear held up. :nabble_anim_jump:

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. I used this set of disconnect tools on both the fuel and A/C lines on Big Blue:

Thank you Gary! The set you bought is not currently available but I ordered one very similar. It was about 10$.

I noticed the engineering number on the HVAC box started with “F4…” so maybe the smaller evaporator core came with the transition to 134 coolant? Anyway, all Aeronose might not be the same either…

I don’t even know if the 89 donor AC system was working, I just wanted to leave it sealed and clean. Looks like I will need to replace at least one line, then vacuum it down and see what I’ve got. But I need it running first!

I put in the radiator and shroud, re-mounted the AC compressor and put the hood on. The hood is a little banged up and not very straight… but it’s a work truck. I’m just happy to see it looking more like a truck than a shell. I am going to paint the grille and light surrounds before I mount everything back… inexpensive aerosol overhaul ha ha ha…

IMG_9451.jpeg.d44533cc5232a1421a664c2153a6ce75.jpeg

Thank you Gary! The set you bought is not currently available but I ordered one very similar. It was about 10$.

I noticed the engineering number on the HVAC box started with “F4…” so maybe the smaller evaporator core came with the transition to 134 coolant? Anyway, all Aeronose might not be the same either…

I don’t even know if the 89 donor AC system was working, I just wanted to leave it sealed and clean. Looks like I will need to replace at least one line, then vacuum it down and see what I’ve got. But I need it running first!

I put in the radiator and shroud, re-mounted the AC compressor and put the hood on. The hood is a little banged up and not very straight… but it’s a work truck. I’m just happy to see it looking more like a truck than a shell. I am going to paint the grille and light surrounds before I mount everything back… inexpensive aerosol overhaul ha ha ha…

Looking good, Jonathan! :nabble_smiley_good:

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good, Jonathan! :nabble_smiley_good:

Here is a little update on my *lack of progress ha ha…

My decision to be frugal with the clutch parts bit me in the butt. The Sachs friction disc will NOT work with the 6 bolt 6.9 solid flywheel and pressure plate. It is too big. If there is a disc out there that does work, I am not inclined to find it by trial and error. The Sachs will fit a 7.3 N/A balanced SMF. I have two of them, one has a badly worn surface and the other has a ruined ring gear. So the transmission is still sitting on the ground. So much for saving money by using the parts I already have.

IMG_9535.jpeg.a33a1cf952d7c8240950d1f40cc3c006.jpeg

I put the front trim and lights back together. This only affirmed by distaste for the Aeronose build quality and fastener engineering. It looks okay from 20’ away, but the new headlights that I bought are not flush with the rest of the lights and trim. They are sunken by almost ½” in places. They are aftermarket (Eagle Eyes brand). Perhaps the fitment is just that awful, or else I need to adjust them. I thought I remembered reading that the mounting screws should only need adjusted to aim the light beam, and I don’t really want to fuss with the factory alignment that much. I will see how they work once I get a battery installed. It is a work truck after all and trim aesthetics isn’t that high on the priority list.

IMG_9534.jpeg.b77f3a7b8d3a3a77c16acca2d1cf4bfa.jpeg

While I am not giving up on this truck, I did make the decision to step away and refocus on another way to bring more water. The FSD is going to take time to get everything right… meanwhile I am chasing my tail hauling one IBC tote at a time. I put the large haul tank on my 14’ Big Tex trailer and bought a water transfer pump to get it into the cistern. I reluctantly pulled more shrubs from the front of our property to be able to pull through with the trailer. I am not crazy about this solution because this exceeds the weight rating of, well, everything… but I will be driving very slowly. I still have to clean out the tank and plumb the outlet to the pump but I may be hauling with it as soon as this weekend. I anticipate that I may have to put the NP435 in the ’81 in place of the close ratio T19 for the low 1st gear. I hate going “backwards” like this, but I am tired of the spiral. I can’t fix the water hauler because I am too busy hauling water!

IMG_9527.jpeg.78721850156c66541208e5765edfaedf.jpeg

Here is a little update on my *lack of progress ha ha…

My decision to be frugal with the clutch parts bit me in the butt. The Sachs friction disc will NOT work with the 6 bolt 6.9 solid flywheel and pressure plate. It is too big. If there is a disc out there that does work, I am not inclined to find it by trial and error. The Sachs will fit a 7.3 N/A balanced SMF. I have two of them, one has a badly worn surface and the other has a ruined ring gear. So the transmission is still sitting on the ground. So much for saving money by using the parts I already have.

I put the front trim and lights back together. This only affirmed by distaste for the Aeronose build quality and fastener engineering. It looks okay from 20’ away, but the new headlights that I bought are not flush with the rest of the lights and trim. They are sunken by almost ½” in places. They are aftermarket (Eagle Eyes brand). Perhaps the fitment is just that awful, or else I need to adjust them. I thought I remembered reading that the mounting screws should only need adjusted to aim the light beam, and I don’t really want to fuss with the factory alignment that much. I will see how they work once I get a battery installed. It is a work truck after all and trim aesthetics isn’t that high on the priority list.

While I am not giving up on this truck, I did make the decision to step away and refocus on another way to bring more water. The FSD is going to take time to get everything right… meanwhile I am chasing my tail hauling one IBC tote at a time. I put the large haul tank on my 14’ Big Tex trailer and bought a water transfer pump to get it into the cistern. I reluctantly pulled more shrubs from the front of our property to be able to pull through with the trailer. I am not crazy about this solution because this exceeds the weight rating of, well, everything… but I will be driving very slowly. I still have to clean out the tank and plumb the outlet to the pump but I may be hauling with it as soon as this weekend. I anticipate that I may have to put the NP435 in the ’81 in place of the close ratio T19 for the low 1st gear. I hate going “backwards” like this, but I am tired of the spiral. I can’t fix the water hauler because I am too busy hauling water!

Well.... good, and not so good.

I understand your frustration, but a torch would have those ring gears swapped in 10 minutes. 👍

FWIW, a complete flywheel w/ ring gear was $107 delivered for my 460.

I know an SMF for a diesel is going to be $$$, but when I swapped the Sf into my truck it was cheaper to go brand new than to have the new machine shop Blanchard grind the old flywheel. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Well.... good, and not so good.

I understand your frustration, but a torch would have those ring gears swapped in 10 minutes. 👍

FWIW, a complete flywheel w/ ring gear was $107 delivered for my 460.

I know an SMF for a diesel is going to be $$$, but when I swapped the Sf into my truck it was cheaper to go brand new than to have the new machine shop Blanchard grind the old flywheel. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I agree with Jim - good and not so good. But I disagree with him slightly - replacing the ring gear on the flywheel for Dad's truck took me at least half of a day. Yes, I'm old and slow. But part of that was due to only having a MAPP gas torch. Still, it wasn't hard, just slow and tedious.

I agree with Jim - good and not so good. But I disagree with him slightly - replacing the ring gear on the flywheel for Dad's truck took me at least half of a day. Yes, I'm old and slow. But part of that was due to only having a MAPP gas torch. Still, it wasn't hard, just slow and tedious.

The flywheel is a huge heatsink.

Even a plumbing B-tank with only acetylene is heads and shoulders above dealing with a glorified propane torch, and the pencil tip lets you apply heat where you need it and not waste btu's on the surrounding area.

Thank you gentlemen, I had heard that the ring gear could be removed by heating the flywheel in an oven. I don’t have an oven that I want car parts / fumes in. And I’m not quite sure that heating the whole thing would work to separate the ring gear?

I do have some oxy acetylene equipment that I got from my dad, but the hoses are north of 50 years old. I would need to replace those at a minimum. Or I might get a MAPP gas torch at harbor freight and do it the tedious way. That might still be faster than the tangent of reviving the old oxy acetylene kit to do this job. 🤷

Thank you gentlemen, I had heard that the ring gear could be removed by heating the flywheel in an oven. I don’t have an oven that I want car parts / fumes in. And I’m not quite sure that heating the whole thing would work to separate the ring gear?

I do have some oxy acetylene equipment that I got from my dad, but the hoses are north of 50 years old. I would need to replace those at a minimum. Or I might get a MAPP gas torch at harbor freight and do it the tedious way. That might still be faster than the tangent of reviving the old oxy acetylene kit to do this job. 🤷

You aren't wanting to heat the whole thing 'cause when you do that both the flywheel and ring gear grow the same amount. You'll need to heat the ring gear to get it bigger and walk it off with a drift. Go around and around and around, trying to keep just the ring gear hot and walking it off.

Then you turn the flywheel over and reverse the above procedure to walk the new ring gear on. I think I even had wet rags on the flywheel trying to keep it cool so it didn't grow as much as the ring gear.

You aren't wanting to heat the whole thing 'cause when you do that both the flywheel and ring gear grow the same amount. You'll need to heat the ring gear to get it bigger and walk it off with a drift. Go around and around and around, trying to keep just the ring gear hot and walking it off.

Then you turn the flywheel over and reverse the above procedure to walk the new ring gear on. I think I even had wet rags on the flywheel trying to keep it cool so it didn't grow as much as the ring gear.

100% this.

Heat just the gear (stant the flywheel on a brick or something so the gear drops off, then flip the flywheel over, set the new gear on top and heat it until it has expanded enough to drop all the way on.

Remember that the starter engagement face should not have sharp edges.