Bullnose Forums

F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834

Sounds like lifting the cab is the way to go. That's not the end of the world, but it is more work.

One step forward… three steps back?

The good news is that I was successful in lifting the cab enough to get the cross member brace bolts in between the cab and the frame… the bad news is that one of the cab bolts broke off in the lower part of the cab mount during removal. I was able to farmer rig it by drilling through the fixed nut and installing a longer bolt with a second nut… not very pretty but it works.

After that detour I went install the 13” Southbend clutch. I bought it used 10-11 years ago from an IDI guy switching to a Cummins. I trusted him but I shouldn’t have. I never inspected it that closely… and the flywheel side is shot. The wear is very uneven. I put a straight edge on the flywheel and I’m not liking that very much either… so I am back to start with a flywheel and clutch ☹️

Since the pandemic, IDI parts seem to be out of production and/or prices have gone stupid. I don’t want to pay the going rate for a complete solid mass flywheel and clutch set if I don’t have to. The 6.9 flywheel that came out of my crew cab is good except it is for the T19 input shaft. It is 11.75” diameter.

I looked everywhere for a spring dampened 11.75” friction disc with a 1.25” 10 spline hub. They like to be 11” or 12”. I settled for a Sachs SD80227. The only place I found anything about diameter was Walmart of all places… says product dimension is 11.49” and it is spring dampened for SMF. I’m hoping that is good enough for this round. I bought from Summit and is returnable if I don’t like the fit.

It’s not like I am lacking things to do, but unfortunately it looks like (again) the transmission won’t be going in this weekend.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One step forward… three steps back?

The good news is that I was successful in lifting the cab enough to get the cross member brace bolts in between the cab and the frame… the bad news is that one of the cab bolts broke off in the lower part of the cab mount during removal. I was able to farmer rig it by drilling through the fixed nut and installing a longer bolt with a second nut… not very pretty but it works.

After that detour I went install the 13” Southbend clutch. I bought it used 10-11 years ago from an IDI guy switching to a Cummins. I trusted him but I shouldn’t have. I never inspected it that closely… and the flywheel side is shot. The wear is very uneven. I put a straight edge on the flywheel and I’m not liking that very much either… so I am back to start with a flywheel and clutch ☹️

Since the pandemic, IDI parts seem to be out of production and/or prices have gone stupid. I don’t want to pay the going rate for a complete solid mass flywheel and clutch set if I don’t have to. The 6.9 flywheel that came out of my crew cab is good except it is for the T19 input shaft. It is 11.75” diameter.

I looked everywhere for a spring dampened 11.75” friction disc with a 1.25” 10 spline hub. They like to be 11” or 12”. I settled for a Sachs SD80227. The only place I found anything about diameter was Walmart of all places… says product dimension is 11.49” and it is spring dampened for SMF. I’m hoping that is good enough for this round. I bought from Summit and is returnable if I don’t like the fit.

It’s not like I am lacking things to do, but unfortunately it looks like (again) the transmission won’t be going in this weekend.

Bummer! That's progress, but not as much as you'd hoped. Maybe next weekend?

Is it getting any cooler? We are in a cool snap now @ 77F.

Bummer! That's progress, but not as much as you'd hoped. Maybe next weekend?

Is it getting any cooler? We are in a cool snap now @ 77F.

It is hovering right around the 100*F mark at my house… but the humidity is a lot higher than it has been ~30% instead of the usual 10%-ish. That comes with some intermittent overcast which is nice while it lasts but overall it is still pretty harsh outside. Hence the pause on house building…

There is still plenty else to do on the truck. I plan to work on the core support, radiator, HVAC box etc., later today. I was hoping to do “underneath” stuff to get out of the sun, but I’ll grab my straw hat and see what I can manage 🥵

It is hovering right around the 100*F mark at my house… but the humidity is a lot higher than it has been ~30% instead of the usual 10%-ish. That comes with some intermittent overcast which is nice while it lasts but overall it is still pretty harsh outside. Hence the pause on house building…

There is still plenty else to do on the truck. I plan to work on the core support, radiator, HVAC box etc., later today. I was hoping to do “underneath” stuff to get out of the sun, but I’ll grab my straw hat and see what I can manage 🥵

IMG_9444.jpeg.e5b985c62c1da97d4b96fa9c39d62761.jpeg

IDI core support is in… it doesn’t look much different but that is a bit of work. I wish I had remembered to leave the corner braces from the old one in place…I had to have known how these come apart since I got the diesel one out of a junkyard… I just forgot 🙄

IDI core support is in… it doesn’t look much different but that is a bit of work. I wish I had remembered to leave the corner braces from the old one in place…I had to have known how these come apart since I got the diesel one out of a junkyard… I just forgot 🙄

Looking good! :nabble_smiley_good:

I know those drop center radiator supports are hard to find.

Hope the weather cooperates with you Jonathan.

Having that truck working will make things easier. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Yes, it is looking good! And that is, as Jim is wont to say, PROGRESS! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes Jim, the core supports are a tough to find item, which is why I considered bullnose or bricknose front clip (until I found an Aeronose one).

Today I wanted to put in the radiator, which meant the AC first. I removed the whole system from the 89 donor without depressurizing it. Now I am finding out just how different the HVAC box and parts are 🥴

The Bricknose box has a very different seam than the Bullnose or Aeronose boxes:

IMG_9446.jpeg.e4001c8572af77aaa6d12d8a1a03aa32.jpeg

IMG_9448.jpeg.b6cb961253adb3de76e5da3ba5fd83ae.jpeg

And then the Aeronose core is about 1” shorter and the lines are spaced closer together… so the bricknose core won’t fit. The bracket that supports the canister is also quite changed between years.

IMG_9447.jpeg.2c338c1bb975a3664fc75bcea90a0eb0.jpeg

So my choice is to swap the entire box with heater blower from the 89 or keep the Aero cooler core. Since the heater half of the box has some quite inaccessible bolts I think I want to do the latter… but I have not seen this type of line connection… is this removeable/reusable or would I need a new core with a new hose attached? (Mine has a cut line). The Bullnose ones had a nut and O ring connection.

IMG_9450.jpeg.2c8ecdbdb635032a79242aae72f154e5.jpeg

IMG_9449.jpeg.53c543675664bde65c237518135da09f.jpeg

Everything is so much less interchangeable than I anticipated 😵‍💫

Yes Jim, the core supports are a tough to find item, which is why I considered bullnose or bricknose front clip (until I found an Aeronose one).

Today I wanted to put in the radiator, which meant the AC first. I removed the whole system from the 89 donor without depressurizing it. Now I am finding out just how different the HVAC box and parts are 🥴

The Bricknose box has a very different seam than the Bullnose or Aeronose boxes:

And then the Aeronose core is about 1” shorter and the lines are spaced closer together… so the bricknose core won’t fit. The bracket that supports the canister is also quite changed between years.

So my choice is to swap the entire box with heater blower from the 89 or keep the Aero cooler core. Since the heater half of the box has some quite inaccessible bolts I think I want to do the latter… but I have not seen this type of line connection… is this removeable/reusable or would I need a new core with a new hose attached? (Mine has a cut line). The Bullnose ones had a nut and O ring connection.

Everything is so much less interchangeable than I anticipated 😵‍💫

Those hoses are just like fuel line.

You push the tubular tongs up in there to release the garter and the line pulls out with the tool.

You might want to spray some junk up in there and work it in and out until it feels free.

I do believe Bill put the entire dash and HVAC system from "The Giving Truck" ('95 450) into Darth, his dually crew cab....

You push the tubular tongs up in there to release the garter and the line pulls out with the tool.

You might want to spray some junk up in there and work it in and out until it feels free.

I do believe Bill put the entire dash and HVAC system from "The Giving Truck" ('95 450) into Darth, his dually crew cab....

Right. I used this set of disconnect tools on both the fuel and A/C lines on Big Blue:

51KLAKBI7nL.thumb.jpg.f4d4a88b6a163af3cd319c41bc2acb28.jpg

Jim, my dash that is in Darth came from a 1996 F350 Centaurus conversion crew cab DRW truck. A tree fell on the front of the cab roof.

141.thumb.jpg.803c92b1221b49a8a7c028c9bb664a37.jpg

142.thumb.jpg.b6ffff266677a74f0a1c80d8a1feef4b.jpg

That is also where the Alcoa wheels came from and the power sliding rear cab window.

As for the disconnect tools, I have a much larger set as I also needed Chrysler tools and since GM ones were also included I have a pretty comprehensive set.