Bullnose Forum

Instrument Lighting & Paint Testing

I see from pgs 15&16 of the '85 EVTM that it is shown as part of the instrument cluster, has a resistor across it and gets power in run from the same Red/Green wire that feeds the coil through the resistor wire.

Not really sure where another harness would come into play (as the schematic is a graphic representation of the harness, and not pictorial)

What isn't easily seen is that there are two different connectors where the cluster plugs in. The idiot light cluster has fewer pins than the gauge cluster. So not only is the cluster different, but the whole cab wiring harness is different. And don't forget, that harness runs from headlight to headlight on a Bullnose.

Remember the discussion of the harnii? That there were 12 different ones in '85 and only 6 in '86? A large part of that reduction was due to dropping the idiot lights.

What isn't easily seen is that there are two different connectors where the cluster plugs in. The idiot light cluster has fewer pins than the gauge cluster. So not only is the cluster different, but the whole cab wiring harness is different. And don't forget, that harness runs from headlight to headlight on a Bullnose.

Remember the discussion of the harnii? That there were 12 different ones in '85 and only 6 in '86? A large part of that reduction was due to dropping the idiot lights.

I remember you saying how many different alternator and regulator harnesses there were.

But I thought that was on the engine side of the connector with ammeter wires and large yellow feeding the ignition switch.

Maybe I misunderstood?

I remember you saying how many different alternator and regulator harnesses there were.

But I thought that was on the engine side of the connector with ammeter wires and large yellow feeding the ignition switch.

Maybe I misunderstood?

The page (Documentation/Electrical/Wiring Harnesses) currently only shows a few of the different harnii for these trucks, but includes the alternator to regulator as well as the cab harnesses. And while there were several for the charging system, the sheer number of cab harnesses is striking.

I count 42 different cab harnii for the F-Series trucks, and it appears that the driving forces were: gauges vs idiot lighgts; single vs dual tanks; gas vs diesel engine. And then there were changes in the wiring for which no explanation is given, like the fact that each year got a different harness even though I can't tell you why save for the changes from 1980 to 81. And then 1985 had two sets - prior to 2/85 and after that.

I know of some of the changes, like those in the HVAC controls that have different connectors, requiring a whole new set of harnii. But I don't know why each year had to have its own set of harnesses, so there must be other changes of which I'm not aware.

The page (Documentation/Electrical/Wiring Harnesses) currently only shows a few of the different harnii for these trucks, but includes the alternator to regulator as well as the cab harnesses. And while there were several for the charging system, the sheer number of cab harnesses is striking.

I count 42 different cab harnii for the F-Series trucks, and it appears that the driving forces were: gauges vs idiot lighgts; single vs dual tanks; gas vs diesel engine. And then there were changes in the wiring for which no explanation is given, like the fact that each year got a different harness even though I can't tell you why save for the changes from 1980 to 81. And then 1985 had two sets - prior to 2/85 and after that.

I know of some of the changes, like those in the HVAC controls that have different connectors, requiring a whole new set of harnii. But I don't know why each year had to have its own set of harnesses, so there must be other changes of which I'm not aware.

My son put LED bulbs in the cluster of my '86 while he was borrowing it. He hates them because they create hot spots in the lighting, and the bulbs he used are not dimmable. I like the color, but not the hot spots - I'm going to experiment with a couple of different styles to see if some have better balanced lighting. I also plan to change the blue filters to the later green ones.

My son put LED bulbs in the cluster of my '86 while he was borrowing it. He hates them because they create hot spots in the lighting, and the bulbs he used are not dimmable. I like the color, but not the hot spots - I'm going to experiment with a couple of different styles to see if some have better balanced lighting. I also plan to change the blue filters to the later green ones.

That's one of the many things I like about the HiPo LEDs - no hot spots. At least, I don't see any. Their design of sending the light to the sides instead of off the end contributes to that. But a more reflective surface on the inside of the gauge cluster helps bounce the light around and, therefore, fill in all of the areas.

On the filters, be sure to polish them. Bill of HiPo Parts told me that the surface of them breaks down from the heat of the bulb and that's what causes them to be opaque. But that if you use plastic polish on them they'll become translucent again.

That's one of the many things I like about the HiPo LEDs - no hot spots. At least, I don't see any. Their design of sending the light to the sides instead of off the end contributes to that. But a more reflective surface on the inside of the gauge cluster helps bounce the light around and, therefore, fill in all of the areas.

On the filters, be sure to polish them. Bill of HiPo Parts told me that the surface of them breaks down from the heat of the bulb and that's what causes them to be opaque. But that if you use plastic polish on them they'll become translucent again.

UPDATE: I got a note back from Bill of HiPo Parts pointing out some errors in my testing. So I've added the following to the first post:

EDIT: Bill of HiPo Parts has gotten back to me and advised that my testing about the paint and its ability to fluoresce is flawed. I will be editing this post to reflect on what I learn, soon. In the interim, I've modified what I posted about the paint.......

UPDATE from Bill of HiPo Parts: "Our paint does have a texture, by design. That texture is the fluorescent pigment. Fluorescent pigment is a solid, so it does make the paint have a slight texture. The other thing I did not see mentioned is that our paint is semi-translucent by design. That allows the light to partially penetrate the surface and reach pigment below the surface to increase the illumination effect."

UPDATE from Bill of HiPo Parts: "Fluorescent paint requires a portion of the blue light spectrum to excite the pigment (make it glow). If you are using white light, then the other portions of the spectrum (specifically the red) negate the effects of the blue spectrum. This is why the dashes of vehicles that use fluorescent paints are normally illuminated in some shade of blue or green light. Both of those colors are capable of exciting the pigment. Trying to make a fluorescent paint glow with white light is not going to have much of an effect, if any."

And, when I learn more from Bill I'll be back to correct and add more. :nabble_anim_working:

UPDATE: I got a note back from Bill of HiPo Parts pointing out some errors in my testing. So I've added the following to the first post:

EDIT: Bill of HiPo Parts has gotten back to me and advised that my testing about the paint and its ability to fluoresce is flawed. I will be editing this post to reflect on what I learn, soon. In the interim, I've modified what I posted about the paint.......

UPDATE from Bill of HiPo Parts: "Our paint does have a texture, by design. That texture is the fluorescent pigment. Fluorescent pigment is a solid, so it does make the paint have a slight texture. The other thing I did not see mentioned is that our paint is semi-translucent by design. That allows the light to partially penetrate the surface and reach pigment below the surface to increase the illumination effect."

UPDATE from Bill of HiPo Parts: "Fluorescent paint requires a portion of the blue light spectrum to excite the pigment (make it glow). If you are using white light, then the other portions of the spectrum (specifically the red) negate the effects of the blue spectrum. This is why the dashes of vehicles that use fluorescent paints are normally illuminated in some shade of blue or green light. Both of those colors are capable of exciting the pigment. Trying to make a fluorescent paint glow with white light is not going to have much of an effect, if any."

And, when I learn more from Bill I'll be back to correct and add more. :nabble_anim_working:

Bill @ HiPo Parts has given us a code of BT15LK0313. It will provide 20% off any LED purchase over $20, until 3/20/20. I just ordered 5 of the blue LED's and used the code during checkout. Sure enough, it took the price of one LED off - $8.85.

And he provided some background info on the bulbs. He said that the blue bulb I showed is similar to their 5 SMD bulb, which produces about 115 lumens. He couldn't say that my blue bulb is that bright, but as a point of reference, their 20PS bulbs produce 245 lumens.

That bulb was designed by them, including the built-in bridge rectifier that makes them non-polarized, and it was made specifically for lighting vintage instrument clusters. It uses plasma SMDs, which are newer technology and produce a lot more light than older technology.

So I plan to re-run the tests when the blue LED's come in. I'll polish some blue filters and use some incandescent bulbs to set a baseline. Then I'll swap in the HiPo Cool White LED's, then remove the filters and use the HiPo blue LED's. Then the Warm White LED's. Last, I'll stick my blue SmD LED's in.

And, I'll do a comparison of Testors vs HiPo paints with the blue filters as well as the various LED's.

Any suggestions on other tests?

I don't mean to counter what he's said, but I have some background and understand a lot of that is gibberish.

Pigments flouresce or phosphorese because *ultraviolet or violet* light is exciting the atoms and they throw out photons in response.

Only these higher frequency waves have the energy to do this.

Green is in the middle of the visible light spectrum and will do nothing.

Red is on the other end of visible light from violet, but it does nothing to negate the photons produced by atoms in the pigment (other than being part of the total light output of the LED's phosphor, while not contributing to the glow)

Translucency is a positive.

Chunks in the paint are not helping anything but diffraction.

Pigments can be ground as fine as you want.

This reaction is happening on an atomic or molecular level.

When someone shows me that they can physically grind molecules and atoms to dust so they no longer have their properties I will be VERY impressed!

I don't mean to counter what he's said, but I have some background and understand a lot of that is gibberish.

Pigments flouresce or phosphorese because *ultraviolet or violet* light is exciting the atoms and they throw out photons in response.

Only these higher frequency waves have the energy to do this.

Green is in the middle of the visible light spectrum and will do nothing.

Red is on the other end of visible light from violet, but it does nothing to negate the photons produced by atoms in the pigment (other than being part of the total light output of the LED's phosphor, while not contributing to the glow)

Translucency is a positive.

Chunks in the paint are not helping anything but diffraction.

Pigments can be ground as fine as you want.

This reaction is happening on an atomic or molecular level.

When someone shows me that they can physically grind molecules and atoms to dust so they no longer have their properties I will be VERY impressed!

Maybe he's just parroting what he's been told by his supplier?

But I'm not one to not call out *bunk