Bullnose Forums

EFI For Big Blue

You might also want to add the 1986 stuff as it has a slightly different system and add the EFI pump system also so those with the 1985.5-1986 5.0L engines can find their information. Nicely done though sir!

While I would like to have those things re-drawn, I don't think I can spare the time. But, I could add the pages for those items. Lemme see what I can do. And thank you.

Also, you might want to check your email. :nabble_anim_blbl:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I would like to have those things re-drawn, I don't think I can spare the time. But, I could add the pages for those items. Lemme see what I can do. And thank you.

Also, you might want to check your email. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Gary, something on the previous page is crashing on my various devices here. Can display everything up to the drawing just posted?

Bill - Well, if the bracket is different that makes the decision easier - I'll need both it and the pump.

And, pics would help as I do have to figure out how to put lots of things in the same space. :nabble_anim_confused:

Jonathan - If you run across it, great. But don't go too far out of your way as I do have two pumps, one of which should be good.

Gary -

Just came across this. It requires you leave your in-tank low pressure pump in the tank to make use of the fuel level sensor. You've likely already come across it, but in the event you didn't, I've attached the instructions page to the unit.

Steve

hpf-40019.pdf

Gary, something on the previous page is crashing on my various devices here. Can display everything up to the drawing just posted?

Browser problem with Chrome.

Anyways, managed to find the drawings using my Android phone with a different browser.

Are you trying to accommodate the 6 port valve instead of the dual function reservoir? Also, I don't understand the purpose of the oil pressure switch/fuel cutoff relay, etc.

Gary -

Just came across this. It requires you leave your in-tank low pressure pump in the tank to make use of the fuel level sensor. You've likely already come across it, but in the event you didn't, I've attached the instructions page to the unit.

Steve

hpf-40019.pdf

Ray - I'm not having problems with Page 3, but if others are then maybe we need to find out why.

Steve - Thanks, but one of the reasons I'm going with Ford's EEC-V system instead of an aftermarket system is that the aftermarket manufacturers drop products readily. So, while that pump would work now, I'm doubting it would be available later - when it fails. I'm trying to build something that my offspring can maintain for decades, and I don't think aftermarket products are compatible with that goal.

Again, thanks.

Browser problem with Chrome.

Anyways, managed to find the drawings using my Android phone with a different browser.

Are you trying to accommodate the 6 port valve instead of the dual function reservoir? Also, I don't understand the purpose of the oil pressure switch/fuel cutoff relay, etc.

Glad you found the problem.

As for your questions, I think you are looking at the as-is schematic. I'm going from that toward the 1996 version, but now I have to figure out how to integrate them. However, the oil pressure switch, the 6-port valve, etc are going the way of the Dodo bird.

Glad you found the problem.

As for your questions, I think you are looking at the as-is schematic. I'm going from that toward the 1996 version, but now I have to figure out how to integrate them. However, the oil pressure switch, the 6-port valve, etc are going the way of the Dodo bird.

I think I see the problem. Looking at the fuel controls on the EVTM page, I see they are not complete. There really is not a good diagram of the EFI version. In reality, the controls are very similar to your 1996 drawing with the addition of the frame mounted pump which would be powered from the R/Y wire between the inertia switch and the tank selector switch.

Nonetheless, since you will be going with the later pumps and eliminating the dual function reservoir, it becomes something of a moot point.

Ray - I'm not having problems with Page 3, but if others are then maybe we need to find out why.

Steve - Thanks, but one of the reasons I'm going with Ford's EEC-V system instead of an aftermarket system is that the aftermarket manufacturers drop products readily. So, while that pump would work now, I'm doubting it would be available later - when it fails. I'm trying to build something that my offspring can maintain for decades, and I don't think aftermarket products are compatible with that goal.

Again, thanks.

That's smart. I should do the same.

Thanks!!

Steve

I think I see the problem. Looking at the fuel controls on the EVTM page, I see they are not complete. There really is not a good diagram of the EFI version. In reality, the controls are very similar to your 1996 drawing with the addition of the frame mounted pump which would be powered from the R/Y wire between the inertia switch and the tank selector switch.

Nonetheless, since you will be going with the later pumps and eliminating the dual function reservoir, it becomes something of a moot point.

Steve - I'm a visual person. I need to see what I am working on - especially with something as complex as this is.

Ray - I'm confused as I don't see a bit of resemblance between the 1985.5-6 7.5L wiring and the 1996 7.5L wiring.

Are you referring to the 1985.5-6 5.0L wiring? I've added the page from the 1985 EVTM below. And it is very similar to the 1996 wiring.

1985_ETM_Page104.thumb.jpg.7f3879ec1987a1ccb69002e42720cdcb.jpg

Steve - I'm a visual person. I need to see what I am working on - especially with something as complex as this is.

Ray - I'm confused as I don't see a bit of resemblance between the 1985.5-6 7.5L wiring and the 1996 7.5L wiring.

Are you referring to the 1985.5-6 5.0L wiring? I've added the page from the 1985 EVTM below. And it is very similar to the 1996 wiring.

Yes, that is exactly what I would expect.

The 85.5/86 7.5L wiring is for a carbureted truck. I had no way to wrap my thinking around how this was to be used with EFI.

Are you thinking that you may want to modify the existing Big Blue wiring to accommodate EFI? If so, you could do away with the oil pressure sender, resistance wire and fuel pump cut off relay along with their various power feeds.You would substitute the EFI fuel pump relay output, (configured through a relocated inertia switch) for the power feeds PK/BK to the tank selector relay and the R lead to the fuel tank selector switch. This also would be the point to supply power to the frame mounted HP pump. The tank selector valve would have to be 6 port to accommodate the return lines and you still would need some sort of reservoir before the frame mounted HP pump.

Of course, if you are going to the later in tank HP FDM's, you only need to wire it like the later truck. I'm pretty sure they use the same switch on the dash and all the wiring changes would be in the harness. This does away with dual function reservoirs, frame mounted HP pumps, selector valves, etc.

I'm probably overthinking this. Best approach would be to replicate the 86 5.0 EFI wiring, (eliminating the frame mounted pump and the 85 6 port valve) and you would be good to go with the later FDM's.