Bullnose Forums

EFI For Big Blue

Morning update: Adam wasn't available yesterday afternoon given how late I finally got all the updates done. But we may get to work on it a bit today, although both of our schedules are a bit hectic.

However, I've been poking around in Binary Editor trying to familiarize myself with it. I loaded up the calibration for the YAZ3 box that is for a 1995 5.0L w/a 4R70W, which is the one I have connected to the test harness and have been looking through it. But, to this point I don't think I've gotten the box to talk to Binary Editor.

Nonetheless, I'm gobsmacked at how many parameters there are in the box. It is just absolutely mind-boggling.

So, let me give you a taste. Here's a screen shot of the spark information. Just note the number of folders/files on the left that have information. I've opened the Base Altitude Spark file, which I think is the spark advance in degrees on the X axis, and engine load on the Y-axis.

However, look at the info in the box in the lower right, which is shown much larger in the following pic for those of you on itty bitty screens. That is the calculation the computer goes through to determine the engine spark advance. In other words, it takes into account the barometric pressure, the Engine Coolant Temp, the amount of EGR, the Air/Fuel Ratio, combustion noise (could that be spark knock?), IMRC - whatever that is, and the Dashpot - whatever that is. AND THAT IS JUST THE SPARK ADVANCE!

YIPES!

A search found Intake Manifold Runner Control.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/trouble-shooter-july-2009/

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Thanks! So it is set up to change the timing on engines with various inputs that the 5.0L doesn't have. Cool.

As for dashpot, did some of the engines with EFI have them?

I don't know.

Well, I had a session w/Adam this morning where he remoted in and set up Binary Editor. It was like drinking from Niagra Falls. Soooooo much washed over me and very, very little got absorbed. Or even adsorbed. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, he set up the YAZ3 box, which was a 302/4R70W, to be a '96 spec 460 w/a manual tranny. Then we turned off things like Canister Purge and EGR. Which led to a discussion of ignition timing. My understanding is that having turned off EGR it will no longer add several degrees of advance to the timing when the EGR is on.

Then we discussed knock sensors, and he said he wouldn't run one on these engines as they don't work. So, I'll have to fine tune the ignition timing to the particular compression ratio I end up with as well as the Performer cam that's in the engine. Which means I'll have to find someone with much better ears than mine to ride shotgun. (Steve - Last year when Scott and I went after Huck he pointed out that the engine was pinging a LOT. I couldn't hear it. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

But, I have a very good starting point from which to begin the tuning - Ford's stock tune for a '96 460! It should not only start but run pretty well with that, and then I can fine tune it from there. :nabble_anim_jump:

Adam also set up logging so that when all of this goes together I can log it real time. Both from the EEC-V system as well as the Innovate wide-band AFR meter. At this time the only actual input that is functioning is Vbat, and it as a waveform that runs from 12.63 to 12.79 volts.

Anyway, I'M DANGEROUS!!! Maybe even EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. And, since I'm retired does that mean I'm RED? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Well, I had a session w/Adam this morning where he remoted in and set up Binary Editor. It was like drinking from Niagra Falls. Soooooo much washed over me and very, very little got absorbed. Or even adsorbed. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, he set up the YAZ3 box, which was a 302/4R70W, to be a '96 spec 460 w/a manual tranny. Then we turned off things like Canister Purge and EGR. Which led to a discussion of ignition timing. My understanding is that having turned off EGR it will no longer add several degrees of advance to the timing when the EGR is on.

Then we discussed knock sensors, and he said he wouldn't run one on these engines as they don't work. So, I'll have to fine tune the ignition timing to the particular compression ratio I end up with as well as the Performer cam that's in the engine. Which means I'll have to find someone with much better ears than mine to ride shotgun. (Steve - Last year when Scott and I went after Huck he pointed out that the engine was pinging a LOT. I couldn't hear it. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

But, I have a very good starting point from which to begin the tuning - Ford's stock tune for a '96 460! It should not only start but run pretty well with that, and then I can fine tune it from there. :nabble_anim_jump:

Adam also set up logging so that when all of this goes together I can log it real time. Both from the EEC-V system as well as the Innovate wide-band AFR meter. At this time the only actual input that is functioning is Vbat, and it as a waveform that runs from 12.63 to 12.79 volts.

Anyway, I'M DANGEROUS!!! Maybe even EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. And, since I'm retired does that mean I'm RED? :nabble_smiley_evil:

If I remember correctly "Dashpot" is related to the IAC control and primarily for automatics, but will effect emissions on a manual trans. It basically opens the IAC on a sudden throttle blip to prevent stalling, just like a mechanical dashpot does by delaying the throttle closing.

If I remember correctly "Dashpot" is related to the IAC control and primarily for automatics, but will effect emissions on a manual trans. It basically opens the IAC on a sudden throttle blip to prevent stalling, just like a mechanical dashpot does by delaying the throttle closing.

Ok, but I don't have a dashpot. Does Darth?

That's cool!