Bullnose Forums

EFI For Big Blue

Passenger's side. But I'll have to check on which version I have. Will do in the morn, Bill.

Talked to Eric Weingartner tonight. He's the one that flow tested the D8OE's I ported a few years ago, and he recently did a pair of heads for Brandon. He doesn't port cast iron heads any more, but that's ok as he'll do a 5-angle valve job on these, deck them to make sure they are flat, do the guides and seals, etc for about $300 if I caught all the numbers he was telling me.

Of course there may be bad valves, but I didn't notice any of them leaking today, so maybe not. In any case, he will make them bolt-on ready and turn-around is two weeks. I have a plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passenger's side. But I'll have to check on which version I have. Will do in the morn, Bill.

Let me know if you need me to hunt one down in the junkyard for you Gary. I may even go in the morning. I like to waste a couple of hours there before running business hour errands in town.

Let me know if you need me to hunt one down in the junkyard for you Gary. I may even go in the morning. I like to waste a couple of hours there before running business hour errands in town.

Yes, please look if you are going this morn. It only takes a 3/8" wrench to get them off. And I'll bet this is the common one as it appears to be original to Huck, which was a 1990 F250.

Yes, please look if you are going this morn. It only takes a 3/8" wrench to get them off. And I'll bet this is the common one as it appears to be original to Huck, which was a 1990 F250.

I will have a look Gary. I know there are at least 3 or 4 EFI 460’s that I know of, probably more. I should be able to get one for you.

I will have a look Gary. I know there are at least 3 or 4 EFI 460’s that I know of, probably more. I should be able to get one for you.

Thanks! And if you see a pristine throttle body on one of them I'd like that as well. I have two of them, but neither are shiny enough to put with that upper plenum. And I'm not sure blasting and powder coating one is a good idea, although maybe if I disassemble it.

Anyway, shiny, new, pristine, etc.

Thanks! And if you see a pristine throttle body on one of them I'd like that as well. I have two of them, but neither are shiny enough to put with that upper plenum. And I'm not sure blasting and powder coating one is a good idea, although maybe if I disassemble it.

Anyway, shiny, new, pristine, etc.

I do have an extra TB as I am using the later "do not clean" one from a 1995 or 1996. It is already apart and I can send you the bare body so you can do your clean and powder coat on the body and then transfer the parts from yours cleaning and coating as you go. I thing this one has a good adjustable throttle stop screw. FWIW, very early, 1988-89? models did have a water heated throttle body and up to a point the casting still had the undrilled passage areas in them. Apparently Ford decided it wasn't needed and did away with it. The vestige shows up in the E4OD models as the 3/8" bypass line.

Gary. I believe if you check they are metric and use a 10mm wrench.

Oops! Probably right. I just grabbed a 3/8" and it worked nicely. Obviously the threads are well lubed, so the bolts came out easily. But, otherwise the wrong wrench might have been a problem. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Boy, talk about varnish! The inside of those valve covers are/were awful! The good one is in the parts washer with Simple Green sitting in it as I type. Hopefully the overnight soak will loosen that stuff and it'll come out easily this morn. But my plans for blasting and PC'ing the covers along with the lower plenum today are obviously not going to happen as I'm down one cover. Hopefully I'll at least get the plenum done and the one cover cleaned, if not blasted.

It is amazing how time-consuming it is to blast the lower plenum given all of its nooks and crannies. Every time I thought I was done I'd spot something else. Then, when that was done came the daunting task of masking it off as powder on the mating surfaces isn't good, and powder where the injectors go is probably not a good idea. And there are the sensor ports, which should have powder in them either.

Ran out of the high-temp plugs as well as time yesterday, so decided to get the uppers done and be able to tick that box for the day. So I can pull the plugs from them and use them on the lower plenum today - after I mask everything else. But I hope to have another shiny pic to show tonight. :nabble_smiley_grin:

I do have an extra TB as I am using the later "do not clean" one from a 1995 or 1996. It is already apart and I can send you the bare body so you can do your clean and powder coat on the body and then transfer the parts from yours cleaning and coating as you go. I thing this one has a good adjustable throttle stop screw. FWIW, very early, 1988-89? models did have a water heated throttle body and up to a point the casting still had the undrilled passage areas in them. Apparently Ford decided it wasn't needed and did away with it. The vestige shows up in the E4OD models as the 3/8" bypass line.

Hmmm. That raises lots of thoughts, questions, etc. First, Huck had a tee in the heater hose with a smaller line going somewhere. And, he had an E4OD. Is that what you are talking about?

Second, the TB from the '95 F450 says "Do not adjust" on a label. Is that the same thing you are talking about? Is there a dimension that the throttles are supposed to be held open? I realize the IAC supplies air, but maybe there is a standard?

And, are these like carbs? Meaning, they are precision parts, but if you are careful you can pull the butterflies, shafts, etc and clean them, PC them, and reassemble? I have two TB's, so could do that. Maybe black to compliment the plenum?

Hmmm. That raises lots of thoughts, questions, etc. First, Huck had a tee in the heater hose with a smaller line going somewhere. And, he had an E4OD. Is that what you are talking about?

Second, the TB from the '95 F450 says "Do not adjust" on a label. Is that the same thing you are talking about? Is there a dimension that the throttles are supposed to be held open? I realize the IAC supplies air, but maybe there is a standard?

And, are these like carbs? Meaning, they are precision parts, but if you are careful you can pull the butterflies, shafts, etc and clean them, PC them, and reassemble? I have two TB's, so could do that. Maybe black to compliment the plenum?

Yes, there is a standard, the "Do Not Adjust" is the keep someone without the correct procedure and tools from screwing with it.

The standard on these is a minimum air flow which is set Engine warmed up, Shut off, Unplug IAC (which leaves it closed), Start engine, Set base idle, Shut off, Reconnect IAC. I do not think it was in gear, but it might be.

I think on Darth it is 650 rpm, normal idle in the BE software is 750.