Bullnose Forums

Sound Control - Approaches, Thoughts, Tips, Tricks, & Experiences

You sure the cover isn't sitting in or with the stuff from Dad's truck? Did you possibly give it away to somebody?

So, what sound deadening material do you'se guys recommend?

This is the sound deadening I have in my Ranger. Stuff went on great, and I have zero complaints. However, I have no idea how the price compares to other products. I don't know if I would recommend using as much as I did (shown below) but I barely hear any outside noise inside my truck.

FatMat RattleTrap Sound Deadening

Rattle_Trap.jpg.ab25812ed89c38285e6855ce52bcd902.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure the cover isn't sitting in or with the stuff from Dad's truck? Did you possibly give it away to somebody?

This is the sound deadening I have in my Ranger. Stuff went on great, and I have zero complaints. However, I have no idea how the price compares to other products. I don't know if I would recommend using as much as I did (shown below) but I barely hear any outside noise inside my truck.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n52400/Rattle_Trap.jpg

Kill Mat and other brands probably are all close in price. There honestly is no difference in them its all the same stuff. 80mil butyl sheets with a foil back that adds a bit of insulation but mostly hampers vibrations. I think the killmat rand me about $55 bucks for 36 sqft. But it was also in sheets instead of a roll.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n52400/Rattle_Trap.jpg

Kill Mat and other brands probably are all close in price. There honestly is no difference in them its all the same stuff. 80mil butyl sheets with a foil back that adds a bit of insulation but mostly hampers vibrations. I think the killmat rand me about $55 bucks for 36 sqft. But it was also in sheets instead of a roll.

I really like the Eastwood offering. They have 3 different kinds - the thick asphalt kind for the floor and firewall, a thin lightweight foam for doors, and a thick really lightweight for the ceiling. I can't say enough good stuff about the door kind.

I really like the Eastwood offering. They have 3 different kinds - the thick asphalt kind for the floor and firewall, a thin lightweight foam for doors, and a thick really lightweight for the ceiling. I can't say enough good stuff about the door kind.

Ok guys, thanks. I'll do some reading up on the stuff.

As for the tranny cover, it is hiding with the lower steering column. I have one that's AWOL, and they have to be together. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Ok guys, thanks. I'll do some reading up on the stuff.

As for the tranny cover, it is hiding with the lower steering column. I have one that's AWOL, and they have to be together. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Well, I've read enough to be gobsmacked. There are way too many offerings these days. So I need to ask specific questions of each of you:

Shaun: Did you go with the 50 or 80 mil FatMat? Everywhere? And why did you choose that?

Scatch: Which Killmat did you use? 50 mil or 80 mil? Why?

Scott: The Eastwood offerings are so extensive I have no idea which ones you used. And why did you pick those? Please enlighten me.

Well, I've read enough to be gobsmacked. There are way too many offerings these days. So I need to ask specific questions of each of you:

Shaun: Did you go with the 50 or 80 mil FatMat? Everywhere? And why did you choose that?

Scott: The Eastwood offerings are so extensive I have no idea which ones you used. And why did you pick those? Please enlighten me.

I've used 80mil duct wrap on my floor and back wall of the cab.

Some panels inside the doors too.

My firewall, transmission tunnel and passenger floor have mass damping vinyl attached to 12mm foam rubber uncoupler.

I don't know what this product is. It was left over from a studio I built.

We also use a similar product for pump and generator enclosures.

I've used 80mil duct wrap on my floor and back wall of the cab.

Some panels inside the doors too.

My firewall, transmission tunnel and passenger floor have mass damping vinyl attached to 12mm foam rubber uncoupler.

I don't know what this product is. It was left over from a studio I built.

We also use a similar product for pump and generator enclosures.

Interesting, Jim. Is the 80 mil duct liner something like this from Frost King?

The mass damping vinyl attached to 12mm foam rubber uncoupler on the firewall, transmission tunnel, and passenger's floor is getting pretty scientific. That's a good approach. I don't plan to pull the factory stuff off the firewall. And while I know the benefits of an uncoupler and mass damping, I doubt I'll go that far.

How big of a difference did you notice when you installed all that? And can you tell a difference from the driver's side to the passenger's side?

Interesting, Jim. Is the 80 mil duct liner something like this from Frost King?

The mass damping vinyl attached to 12mm foam rubber uncoupler on the firewall, transmission tunnel, and passenger's floor is getting pretty scientific. That's a good approach. I don't plan to pull the factory stuff off the firewall. And while I know the benefits of an uncoupler and mass damping, I doubt I'll go that far.

How big of a difference did you notice when you installed all that? And can you tell a difference from the driver's side to the passenger's side?

Not at all.

It's not fiberglass, and it's definitely not 3.5oz for a 15' roll.

It's somewhere between rubber and mastic with a foil surface.

The other stuff -as I said- was leftovers from a job.

My wife would complain that her feet would get hot so I used the foil, then the soundproofing, then another layer of foil.

Giving two reflective layers with airspace in between.

I noticed a difference from my seat but she doesn't drive stick, so I never rode there.

Since she and my trusty companion are gone that side is usually buried in tools.

Not at all.

It's not fiberglass, and it's definitely not 3.5oz for a 15' roll.

It's somewhere between rubber and mastic with a foil surface.

The other stuff -as I said- was leftovers from a job.

My wife would complain that her feet would get hot so I used the foil, then the soundproofing, then another layer of foil.

Giving two reflective layers with airspace in between.

I noticed a difference from my seat but she doesn't drive stick, so I never rode there.

Since she and my trusty companion are gone that side is usually buried in tools.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense than the Frost King stuff. Thanks.

This chart shows the 3 I was referring to: https://www.eastwood.com/x-mat

Part numbers: 15826, 15825, 15841

Went with them based on being happy with Eastwood products in the past, they were having a sale, positive reviews, and the tech support guys I talked to about them were very helpful.