Bullnose Forums

Bullnose Steering Column In A Later Truck

Gary Lewis

I don’t know how I missed Grumpin’s post... but it looks like the ring could work as long as the metal ring diameter is large enough to allow the 80-91 column to pass through. The rubber could be trimmed? If something stiffer is needed, perhaps a piece of tire sidewall?

Several issues,

(a) the aeronose uses a stub column, actually the same as a lot of later Fords, my 1990 Town Car, my 1994 Taurus and my 1995 Continental all use a virtually identical basic column, the ancillary parts (switches, wheel, shifter or interlock) are what varies.

(b) the column on Bullnose and Bricknose trucks is not straight, it angles slightly from left to right to get a reasonably straight line to the steering box.

© mounts, Bull and Brick columns are attached to the pedal support bracket and dash frame with a metal bracket and to the floor with a clamped on or slipped on plate which allows the shift lever(s) to go through the floor. Aero models did not have a column shift manual transmission, and use a cable for the automatics

(d) electrical, Bull and Brick use an inside the column tube turn signal and hazard switch with a floor mounted dimmer switch, horns on non-speed control models use no relay, hot and horn wires go through brushes to the pad or button, Aero models all have a horn relay in the underhood PDC and use a combination switch on the column for wipers, turn and hazard, horn is still on the wheel.

(e) steering shaft, Bull uses a lower rag joint and an upper pot joint, Brick is similar, but the upper joint is different, both have these underhood, Aero uses actual universal joints, one at the box and one inside the cab at the bottom of the stub column, the intermediate shaft is a slip style for the collapsible column requirement. I believe the others depend on the column tube collapsing as the slip joint is inside the column and is factory assembled with plastic shear joints.

(f) finally, the column support on the Aeronose is also the left end of the dash support, it is attached to the left inside cowl with 4 M10X1.5 bolts and is a pretty substantial casting, it does not attach to the pedal support or firewall. Pedal support is a much smaller piece that goes just from the booster to the bottom of the cowl. Here is a dash with the column support (the way Ford says to R&R it):

15086879520441469900444.jpg.7b0c373aafbe1fb85c89f4c758d099c9.jpg

Several issues,

(a) the aeronose uses a stub column, actually the same as a lot of later Fords, my 1990 Town Car, my 1994 Taurus and my 1995 Continental all use a virtually identical basic column, the ancillary parts (switches, wheel, shifter or interlock) are what varies.

(b) the column on Bullnose and Bricknose trucks is not straight, it angles slightly from left to right to get a reasonably straight line to the steering box.

© mounts, Bull and Brick columns are attached to the pedal support bracket and dash frame with a metal bracket and to the floor with a clamped on or slipped on plate which allows the shift lever(s) to go through the floor. Aero models did not have a column shift manual transmission, and use a cable for the automatics

(d) electrical, Bull and Brick use an inside the column tube turn signal and hazard switch with a floor mounted dimmer switch, horns on non-speed control models use no relay, hot and horn wires go through brushes to the pad or button, Aero models all have a horn relay in the underhood PDC and use a combination switch on the column for wipers, turn and hazard, horn is still on the wheel.

(e) steering shaft, Bull uses a lower rag joint and an upper pot joint, Brick is similar, but the upper joint is different, both have these underhood, Aero uses actual universal joints, one at the box and one inside the cab at the bottom of the stub column, the intermediate shaft is a slip style for the collapsible column requirement. I believe the others depend on the column tube collapsing as the slip joint is inside the column and is factory assembled with plastic shear joints.

(f) finally, the column support on the Aeronose is also the left end of the dash support, it is attached to the left inside cowl with 4 M10X1.5 bolts and is a pretty substantial casting, it does not attach to the pedal support or firewall. Pedal support is a much smaller piece that goes just from the booster to the bottom of the cowl. Here is a dash with the column support (the way Ford says to R&R it):

My!

That pile of 'stuff' looks familiar. :nabble_anim_confused:

Old home week for you. First the jar, then the interior. Good to know the "organ donor" box was ticked on that SuperDuty.

Ticked, I am, that i had to give up the heart and upper intestines. 😡

But it's great to see that many valuable bits were saved for reuse!