Bullnose Forums

Bullnose Steering Column In A Later Truck

Gary Lewis

Thanks Gary.. for asking my question for me :nabble_smiley_blush:

Except that you actually knew what question to ask! :nabble_smiley_blush:

I guess it had not occurred to me that the mounting plate for the tear drop opening was removable, and that there might be an alternative piece to make it mount through the 92+ firewall. There are a few threads about Bullnose interior swaps into Aeronose cabs, but absolutely zero mention of how the column was transferred. I’m hoping it is relatively simple...

Thanks Gary.. for asking my question for me :nabble_smiley_blush:

Except that you actually knew what question to ask! :nabble_smiley_blush:

I guess it had not occurred to me that the mounting plate for the tear drop opening was removable, and that there might be an alternative piece to make it mount through the 92+ firewall. There are a few threads about Bullnose interior swaps into Aeronose cabs, but absolutely zero mention of how the column was transferred. I’m hoping it is relatively simple...

Welcome. It just seemed to be a good discussion to have here.

I knew the teardrop would come off 'cause it accidentally did on the old tilt column from Big Blue. So if the one for a 92+ doesn't work, I wonder about making a plate to fit the Bullnose column?

Welcome. It just seemed to be a good discussion to have here.

I knew the teardrop would come off 'cause it accidentally did on the old tilt column from Big Blue. So if the one for a 92+ doesn't work, I wonder about making a plate to fit the Bullnose column?

Gary, I think you are on to something here. I know it needs some give, but I bet I can figure something out.

Gary, I think you are on to something here. I know it needs some give, but I bet I can figure something out.

Dad used to bring home bits of heavy rubber belts that the railroad used. They were laminated with a fabric reinforcement, and we used them for lots of things. If you had something like that cut to the right diameter and the right hole in the middle I'd think you could put a piece of steel around the edge with the right hole pattern in it and make it work.

Dad used to bring home bits of heavy rubber belts that the railroad used. They were laminated with a fabric reinforcement, and we used them for lots of things. If you had something like that cut to the right diameter and the right hole in the middle I'd think you could put a piece of steel around the edge with the right hole pattern in it and make it work.

Just to have it mentioned here: the plate has some tabs on it that the ring (interior side of plate) has slots for and clamps it in place.

Are you guys asking about the plate itself or the rubber that is molded over it?

This is my 1992 Bronco.

I don’t know how I missed Grumpin’s post... but it looks like the ring could work as long as the metal ring diameter is large enough to allow the 80-91 column to pass through. The rubber could be trimmed? If something stiffer is needed, perhaps a piece of tire sidewall?