Bullnose Forums

hardware dimensions

Jcris

All the bed hardware on our 86' was so rusted it had to be cut out. I'm trying to figure out if I can replace it more affordably rather than buying one of the kits from MAR-K or similar venders. Where can I find a list that details the specifics?

Thanks,

Jcris

Flareside? Styleside?

Bed mounting bolts have special heads, unlike anything in a hardware store. Flareside has a HUGE Phillips-style head, where Styleside has a button top, but an oval shaped carriage under it.

Yes it would be nice to know what bed you need the hard ware for and where that hard ware goes.

I know some if not all the hard ware for my flare side is metric.

Now if it is a nut/bolt then you can use what ever you can come up with but the top bolt holes on the front panel, the tail light bracket holes and the tail gate hinge bolt holes are metric.

The rest of the front panel (don't know of the bottom holes?) as are all the side panels to bed floor are nut/bolt.

When I get a little closer to putting my flare side bed together I will get a count of what I need and most likely go thru https://www.mcmaster.com/#

Don't know if I will get Stainless Steel or just the normal nut/bolt yet.

Dave ----

Yes it would be nice to know what bed you need the hard ware for and where that hard ware goes.

Now if it is a nut/bolt then you can use what ever you can come up with but the top bolt holes on the front panel, the tail light bracket holes and the tail gate hinge bolt holes are metric.

The rest of the front panel (don't know of the bottom holes?) as are all the side panels to bed floor are nut/bolt.

When I get a little closer to putting my flare side bed together I will get a count of what I need and most likely go thru https://www.mcmaster.com/#

Dave ----

Would Stainless have enough "shear strength" in case of a collision?

I found the correct Bed-mounting bolts for the flareside online at Mac's in New York.

Grainger, Fastenall did not have them....

I found the correct Bed-mounting bolts for the flareside online at Mac's in New York.

Tell me which ones you are needing and I'll try to find out what they are.

Flareside_Fasteners.thumb.jpg.e51e8dfb09fd141364800e9557203e6b.jpg

Dave ----

Didn't Ford go metric after '78?

Stainless (CRES) has a number of different alloys and strengths (I retired from a defense contractor's laboratory where we tested this stuff) If you can find what is called 304 or 316 condition B it is a hardened material that is plenty strong enough. I replaced all the fasteners on my Dee Zee running boards with that material actually purchased from my local Fastenal store. One caution, use a good anti-seize on the nuts if you ever want to remove them and they have been know to gall during assembly.

Dave ----

Good tip on mcmaster, I'd forgotten about those folks.

And yes it's a flareside.

Hey Gary, sure appreciate the offer but I'm looking to replace all the bolts that anchor the bed to the frame as well as those that hold the plywood to the sills, cross supports and entire perimeter of bed. Don't worry about those dimensions I'll figure them out. Not looking for exact stuff, just hardware that will work.

Thanks again,

Jcris