Bullnose Forums

T18 to NP435 swap questions

FuzzFace2

I may have jumped on this great deal for the NP435 with out thinking it all the way thru :nabble_anim_confused:

I don't want to start the swap and find out I cant complete it for lack of more parts needed.

The 2 transmissions are close if not the same length face to tail.

Both have slip output yokes and that is 1 question

Do they both use the same yokes? T18 is a 1981 the NP435 I think was a 1984.

I do have the NP slip yoke but if I don't need to swap in on the drive shaft great but not a big deal.

The next question is a big deal.

The front bearing retainer would they be the same?

I need to know if the out side dia. that index in the bell housing would be the same?

I can get the measurement from the NP as it is on the floor but the T18 is still in the truck and I am using it. Someone have a T18 on the floor they can measure the retainer index dia.?

I ask because my 1981 uses linkage for the clutch, the 84 is hyd.

I do have the 84 bell housing & fork but I don't know if I could use it with the linkage setup?

I would like to stay with the linkage as I rebuilt it and works good. I do have the hyd. pedal assy. but would need to get the master w/rod, hose & slave and the not fun job of installing it all.

My clutch assy. is also new and has may be 1000 miles and would like to keep it. I think the spline count is the same between the 2 transmission but not sure? what you say? I believe the bell housings are the same length so the input shafts should be the same length between the 2 yes?

Think I missed anything?

The speedo will swap as per Gary and looks to be a go.

Thanks

Dave G.

Dave - I don't know the answer to the output yoke question, although I think they use the same yoke. However, you should be able to figure it out via this page: Documentation/Driveline/U-Joints. I've not spent any time with that info, but I'll bet you can figure it out.

However, I have a T-19 and an NP435 that I can measure - if I understood what you want me to measure. But I'll take a chance - this measures 4.847" on the T-19. Need me to measure the 435?

T19_Bearing_Retainer.thumb.jpg.d936b61e62df6c8852f8f6487ec87bf0.jpg

Dave - I don't know the answer to the output yoke question, although I think they use the same yoke. However, you should be able to figure it out via this page: Documentation/Driveline/U-Joints. I've not spent any time with that info, but I'll bet you can figure it out.

However, I have a T-19 and an NP435 that I can measure - if I understood what you want me to measure. But I'll take a chance - this measures 4.847" on the T-19. Need me to measure the 435?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n51910/T19_Bearing_Retainer.jpg

If you could measure the 435 when you can so I see if it matches mine.

It is that "4.847" measurement I am more concerned about.

That is close to the 4.848 and the other is 5.125 it could be on what I am looking into.

I have a plan :nabble_smiley_evil: and that is the part I need more than the output yoke as I have the 435 yoke. If I don't follow thru on my plan I could just do a swap if the T18 does not fit.

Thanks

Dave ----

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n51910/T19_Bearing_Retainer.jpg

That is close to the 4.848 and the other is 5.125 it could be on what I am looking into.

I have a plan :nabble_smiley_evil: and that is the part I need more than the output yoke as I have the 435 yoke. If I don't follow thru on my plan I could just do a swap if the T18 does not fit.

Thanks

Dave ----

Dave - I'm not getting out to the shop tomorrow as far as I know, but can check on Friday.

I do have the NP slip yoke but if I don't need to swap in on the drive shaft great but not a big deal.

Dave,

I went from my 1984 3spd manual to a 1991 M5OD-R2, and the output slip yoke from the 3spd fit fine. I guess my point is, I assumed they were all the same. I measured it...teeth were the same, OD was the same, and it fit fine. Been running it even since.

Dave - I'm not getting out to the shop tomorrow as far as I know, but can check on Friday.

No rush I should got out to mine and start cleaning the 435 and get a measurement off it also.

Maybe I will try to get out later.

Dave,

I went from my 1984 3spd manual to a 1991 M5OD-R2, and the output slip yoke from the 3spd fit fine. I guess my point is, I assumed they were all the same. I measured it...teeth were the same, OD was the same, and it fit fine. Been running it even since.

I would guess the 100/150 trucks being light duty might have the same yoke.

That just got me thinking when I get out to the garage to see if the drive shaft w/yoke from the parts truck that had the SROD will fit the NP435?

I will have to see if that trans bell is removable on the SROD and if so what the front bearing retainer index measures for S&G?

Thanks guys

Dave ----

Thanks

Dave ----

The 435 measures 4.837".

Thanks

Dave ----

The 435 measures 4.837".

Thanks that is also close to the 4.848 that I am looking for.

My plan and trans swap is put on hold till my son and his family find a place to live as the wife & I most likely need to help out with $$

Dave ----

Thanks

Dave ----

The 435 measures 4.837".

Thanks that is also close to the 4.848 that I am looking for.

My plan and trans swap is put on hold till my son and his family find a place to live as the wife & I most likely need to help out with $$

Dave ----

Hope things work out with your son and his family.