Bullnose Forums

Saginaw Conversions - Where To Put It?

Gary Lewis

See, I might not even have a forward facing page.

Just put the hyperlink in the blurb, on the appropriate page (of the EVTM, in the case of the 3G)

People drill down to diagnose their alternator.

When they reach there, there is also -after- perhaps a short paragraph about the advantages of 3G conversion, with that text being the link to the appropriate page or article in the "upgrades" folder.

I'm dense. Sorry. But I don't understand "forward facing page" nor "upgrades folder". Please try me again?

As for a drilling down to diagnose their alternator, when they get to the EVTM there are no words. Or, maybe I should say "no words I can modify". There are words in the EVTM on how to test, as shown below, but in reality those are pictures of words and they aren't something I can edit.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand.

I suggested a "upgrades folder".

A repository of all the upgrades pages.

The folder doesn't even need to appear on the site.

The PDF of the EVTM page doesn't need to be modified.

You could just tag the paragraph on.

Yes, I'm really simple, and as stated know less than nothing about how this site is built.

Ok, we have a page: Documentation/Bulnose Upgrades. (By naming it that I could put it #3 in the list and still keep the alpha order. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

It is just a start and I want to kick some ideas around before going very far with it to ensure I get it right and don't have to backtrack. For instance, the only thing that has a link right now is the 3G, and I added a blurb beside it. Is it too much? Will having blurbs beside each one make the page too long? Are blurbs even needed?

And, is there a need to order/re-order them? Alphabetically? Put priorities with them? Should they be grouped? ?????????????????

So please check it out and see what you think.

I like the page and I like the location. I think the blurb is needed for each to give the reader some context.

Referring to the extinguisher item, a couple thoughts -

First, I carry one in all my trucks and am all for it but I wouldn't consider it an upgrade. If it makes the list then one could argue for any emergency device (flares, jumper cables, flash lights, seatbelt cutter, windshield breaker, etc) to be added to the list. Singling out the extinguisher isn't my goal here but rather that how an item is determined to make the list should probably be decided sooner rather than later to save some work.

Second, regarding the link to the thread and your question - regardless of the topic, yes I think any link on this page should go to a page and not a thread. This is where unfortunately more work falls on you to cull the forum content and update the page as necessary but I think it will be much more user friendly (easy for me to say when you are doing the work :nabble_smiley_wink: ).

If there is going to be more than 10-15 items then I thinking grouping them will make sense.

Especially on clear cut things like splitting out gas/diesel specific upgrades.

Jim - I think I may have figured out what you mean. You are talking about having a page on the site that has pages under it with all the upgrades. In other words, it might look like:

- Documentation

- Accessories

- Bullnose FAQ's

- Bullnose Upgrades

- 3G

- Hydroboost

- etc

- Calibration Info

In other words, the upgrades wouldn't reside where we currently have them, like 3G in Electrical or Saginaw in Steering.

Is that what you mean? If so, we are just talking a difference of where the pages reside - in their "native" category or in the Upgrade category. Right?

As for sticking a paragraph on the EVTM page, I can do that. However, the page on our site is really a jpg not a pdf. (Did I say it was a pdf?) What that means is that I'd convert it to pdf, stick the paragraph on, then convert it back to jpg.

I like the page and I like the location. I think the blurb is needed for each to give the reader some context.

Referring to the extinguisher item, a couple thoughts -

First, I carry one in all my trucks and am all for it but I wouldn't consider it an upgrade. If it makes the list then one could argue for any emergency device (flares, jumper cables, flash lights, seatbelt cutter, windshield breaker, etc) to be added to the list. Singling out the extinguisher isn't my goal here but rather that how an item is determined to make the list should probably be decided sooner rather than later to save some work.

Second, regarding the link to the thread and your question - regardless of the topic, yes I think any link on this page should go to a page and not a thread. This is where unfortunately more work falls on you to cull the forum content and update the page as necessary but I think it will be much more user friendly (easy for me to say when you are doing the work :nabble_smiley_wink: ).

If there is going to be more than 10-15 items then I thinking grouping them will make sense.

Especially on clear cut things like splitting out gas/diesel specific upgrades.

Scott - You have a good point about "upgrades" and fire extinguishers. Maybe we should say "An upgrade is a replacement for something that is already on the truck, or a different way of doing something that was already done on the truck."

Here are two examples:

• Replacement: A 3G alternator is a direct replacement for an existing 1G or a 2G

• Different Way: A headlight relay harness is an addition in one way of thinking, but it is really just a replacement for getting power from the battery to the headlight via control of the headlight switch.

Does that make sense? If so, that knocks out the fire extinguisher as it is an addition. But what about the firewall reinforcement plate? Can we say it is upgrading the integrity of the firewall? Ditto the door handle plate?

And, what do you think about Jim's suggestion, assuming I finally understand, of having a page that just houses the Upgrade pages? That would do away with the need for the page I've created since the upgrades would be easily seen in the menu. And, that would do away with the need to write things up. Further, there would be no links, so no links to threads.

Scott - You have a good point about "upgrades" and fire extinguishers. Maybe we should say "An upgrade is a replacement for something that is already on the truck, or a different way of doing something that was already done on the truck."

Here are two examples:

• Replacement: A 3G alternator is a direct replacement for an existing 1G or a 2G

• Different Way: A headlight relay harness is an addition in one way of thinking, but it is really just a replacement for getting power from the battery to the headlight via control of the headlight switch.

Does that make sense? If so, that knocks out the fire extinguisher as it is an addition. But what about the firewall reinforcement plate? Can we say it is upgrading the integrity of the firewall? Ditto the door handle plate?

And, what do you think about Jim's suggestion, assuming I finally understand, of having a page that just houses the Upgrade pages? That would do away with the need for the page I've created since the upgrades would be easily seen in the menu. And, that would do away with the need to write things up. Further, there would be no links, so no links to threads.

I agree that an upgrade is a replacement for an existing component or an addition to an existing system.

(EECV SEFI & E4OD would be replacing a carburetor, ignition system and transmission control -modulation-)

Adding a fire extinguisher, fog lights or air bags would not.

The firewall reinforcement goes in the same catagory as the 2G pigtail replacement.

TSB's need to be addressed, but they aren't 'upgrades' per se.

When I first look at the EVTM there are a number of bulleted 'chapters' in a menu format that provide a synopsis, and a link.

I'm suggesting another link -there (in an additional sentence or paragraph) to the described upgrades.

Ok, we have a page: Documentation/Bulnose Upgrades. (By naming it that I could put it #3 in the list and still keep the alpha order. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

It is just a start and I want to kick some ideas around before going very far with it to ensure I get it right and don't have to backtrack. For instance, the only thing that has a link right now is the 3G, and I added a blurb beside it. Is it too much? Will having blurbs beside each one make the page too long? Are blurbs even needed?

And, is there a need to order/re-order them? Alphabetically? Put priorities with them? Should they be grouped? ?????????????????

So please check it out and see what you think.

I like the page and I like the format Gary. I think the large bold headline plus blurb is great and no more difficult to browse than a short list of titles. I think alphabetical is the most logical ordering since it is an index of sorts. I think this page will be a helpful resource for owners.

I don’t know if it would belong here, or on another page... but what about other how-to’s? Like repairing the blend door, repainting interior plastics, polishing anodized aluminum trim, or pinning a glove box lock to match the door key? Not exactly upgrades per-se but related? I know there is a bunch on the table already to flesh out the links I just thought I’d mention it while the structure is being formed. Something to think about?

Edit: response posted before seeing the last couple of posts. You folks are already ahead of me :nabble_smiley_blush:

Here are two examples:

As long as the 'different' way is widely accepted as 'better/safer than factory' I think that criteria will work just fine.

Falls into personal preference but I like keeping the actual how-to's or detailed information pages in the relevant sections (like 3g under alternators) and using links from the Upgrade List. That way you catch the people reading the upgrade list to see what they should do next to their trucks as well as the people troubleshooting a 2g and will happen upon the 3g page from there. That's also assuming I am understanding correctly.

I also see the point about TSB's not necessarily belonging in the list but I feel that if it's a widespread problem (like the firewall flex) then it's a worthy upgrade. The door reinforcement, probably wouldn't make my list since it's not really applicable to these years (not saying I am not considering it myself just because :nabble_smiley_beam:).

I would be inclined to clear the current list and start with 5 or so concrete ones that there are already supporting pages for and then grow from there. Maybe have a thread where people can hash out which ones should make it.

As long as the 'different' way is widely accepted as 'better/safer than factory' I think that criteria will work just fine.

Falls into personal preference but I like keeping the actual how-to's or detailed information pages in the relevant sections (like 3g under alternators) and using links from the Upgrade List. That way you catch the people reading the upgrade list to see what they should do next to their trucks as well as the people troubleshooting a 2g and will happen upon the 3g page from there. That's also assuming I am understanding correctly.

I also see the point about TSB's not necessarily belonging in the list but I feel that if it's a widespread problem (like the firewall flex) then it's a worthy upgrade. The door reinforcement, probably wouldn't make my list since it's not really applicable to these years (not saying I am not considering it myself just because :nabble_smiley_beam:).

I would be inclined to clear the current list and start with 5 or so concrete ones that there are already supporting pages for and then grow from there. Maybe have a thread where people can hash out which ones should make it.

Well, I think we have agreement on what an "upgrade" actually is. So I'll put that dafynition on that page.

But, we have votes for doing the pages both ways. Not including me there are two votes for having the page of a list of Upgrades/links and leaving the pages themselves in their associated sections, vs one vote for the pages themselves being under the Upgrades page header. (I'm sure I said that poorly.) So, let's leave the pages on the upgrades in their respective sections and link to them from the new page.

And, I agree that we should only put on that page links to what upgrade pages we have. So I'll clean that up in a bit. In addition, I agree with having a thread on this, so I'll start said thread when I introduce the page in a bit.

As for the how-to's on things, we could have a How-To page and, keeping the same convention, put links on that page to the how-to pages. So, for instance, the How-To page would have a link to Salvaging Rosewood, which would remain in the Interior section.

Well, I think we have agreement on what an "upgrade" actually is. So I'll put that dafynition on that page.

But, we have votes for doing the pages both ways. Not including me there are two votes for having the page of a list of Upgrades/links and leaving the pages themselves in their associated sections, vs one vote for the pages themselves being under the Upgrades page header. (I'm sure I said that poorly.) So, let's leave the pages on the upgrades in their respective sections and link to them from the new page.

And, I agree that we should only put on that page links to what upgrade pages we have. So I'll clean that up in a bit. In addition, I agree with having a thread on this, so I'll start said thread when I introduce the page in a bit.

As for the how-to's on things, we could have a How-To page and, keeping the same convention, put links on that page to the how-to pages. So, for instance, the How-To page would have a link to Salvaging Rosewood, which would remain in the Interior section.

Maybe we could have a "How To" sticky in the Projects section the same way we have a "Tips & Techniques" sticky in the Workshop section?

It will keep the front page from being any more cluttered.