Bullnose Forums

Saginaw Conversions - Where To Put It?

Gary Lewis

I like the idea of an upgrades page that has a very short description and then links to the actual content.

As was mentioned, an 'upgrade' could mean different things to different people so what about testing the idea as just a simple Top 10 that deal with commonly-accepted safety or functional upgrades that would apply to the trucks as they rolled off the line? So avoid the upgrades that are dependent upon other changes (like lifts) at first. As common as Top 10 lists are online it would be interesting to see what kind of traffic one would draw.

Just to be clear, we are talking about a sticky, right? Not a "thread". Something that one of us creates, locks, and manages. Correct?

We have Angelo's Necessities List? thread that could be the genesis of it? If so, the "upgrades" listed there are:

Headlight Relay Harness

Door Handle Reinforcement Plate

Firewall Reinforcement Plate for Manual Trucks

Sealed Beam to H4 Bulb Conversion

Borg Warner 1356 oil pump anchor

Slide lock to pin lock is common for 80/81 owners (I disagree that's an "upgrade". :nabble_anim_blbl:)

DSII

For 6.9 owners water separator bypass (or aftermarket substitute)

Glow plug controller manual control bypass (or 87+ glow plug system swap)

Fuel filter head return line delete are all usually necessary to keep them starting reliably

Cowl seal maintenance is also extremely important to prevent hydrolock.

87-96 visors with center support

85/86 plastic glove box liners

Bricknose polka-dot cowl piece (or screen)

Late style ā€œJā€ wiper arms instead of post mounted blades.

Good quality fire extinguisher

3G

Saginaw

Hydroboost

PMGR starter

Redhead or BlueTop steering box

IDI fuel sending unit plastic suction foot replacement

Later plastic/aluminum master cylinder

Did I capture them correctly? Miss some?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, we are talking about a sticky, right? Not a "thread". Something that one of us creates, locks, and manages. Correct?

We have Angelo's Necessities List? thread that could be the genesis of it? If so, the "upgrades" listed there are:

Headlight Relay Harness

Slide lock to pin lock is common for 80/81 owners (I disagree that's an "upgrade". :nabble_anim_blbl:)

DSII

Fuel filter head return line delete are all usually necessary to keep them starting reliably

3G

Saginaw

Hydroboost

PMGR starter

I wouldn't make a sticky.

I'd just have a folder in resources.

I'd have all the subjects linked to in their respective subjects i.e. 'Suspension and Steering' page of resources would have 'steering' and whatever the FSM has under it.

Then some sort of suffix, like I posted above, that would take you to the Saginaw page of the "upgrades" folder.

Maybe I'm just not making any sense.

My autistic mind has a pretty odd file system of its own.

Headlight Relay Harness

DSII

3G

Saginaw

Hydroboost

PMGR starter

I was actually thinking of a page in documentation personally and each page linked to would also be in documentation (not the forum). More of the idea that if these upgrades are truly worth it then they should have a compiled page dedicated to them (under their relevant sections) vs having a visitor read through a thread that may have confusing/contradicting posts in it before it reaches the final consensus.

I do realize this would put a lot more work on you though.

I was actually thinking of a page in documentation personally and each page linked to would also be in documentation (not the forum). More of the idea that if these upgrades are truly worth it then they should have a compiled page dedicated to them (under their relevant sections) vs having a visitor read through a thread that may have confusing/contradicting posts in it before it reaches the final consensus.

I guess I misspoke. :nabble_smiley_blush:

In 'Documentation'.

I agree with the above

And you can see how much I actually browse these pages. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Jim - I'm not high on another sticky, which is why I asked.

Scott - I'm with you on having a page in the Doc section that is dedicated to Upgrades To Bullnose Trucks. (Jim - I see you've also agree.) It would have a title and thumbnail description of each upgrade, as well as a link to the page having the info on the upgrade.

That will get found by the search engines, and they will also follow the links and catalog them.

But, those links can be to threads if we don't yet have a page on the upgrade. Or to multiple threads. And, even if we have a page on the upgrade we might want to provide links to threads. For instance, on the 3G we have the page, but we also have several testimonials on how much difference it makes. So why not give them links to them as well?

So the next question is where. I've alphabetized the pages in Documentation - at least I hope I have. So does it go under "U" for Upgrades? Or does it get stuck toward the top of the list?

Headlight Relay Harness

DSII

3G

Saginaw

Hydroboost

PMGR starter

Gary, I had forgotten that there was not a documentation page on hydroboost yet. I can certainly help with that, but unfortunately I did not photo document my upgrade as well as I should have. I can probably piece something together though.

As far as the necessities list... might this be a good place to link the 40/20/40 seat pan for installing captain chairs in single cab or crew cab trucks? What about ZF swap info including adaptation to the 400? And for us straight six guys I would add adapting a 4,000 or 4,500 medium duty gas tach.

Gary, I had forgotten that there was not a documentation page on hydroboost yet. I can certainly help with that, but unfortunately I did not photo document my upgrade as well as I should have. I can probably piece something together though.

As far as the necessities list... might this be a good place to link the 40/20/40 seat pan for installing captain chairs in single cab or crew cab trucks? What about ZF swap info including adaptation to the 400? And for us straight six guys I would add adapting a 4,000 or 4,500 medium duty gas tach.

Good ideas, Jonathan. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the hydroboost, I'll have pics from Big Blue, so can show how to do it on an F250. Yours was on the F150, right? Maybe we can just note the differences?

Good ideas, Jonathan. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the hydroboost, I'll have pics from Big Blue, so can show how to do it on an F250. Yours was on the F150, right? Maybe we can just note the differences?

Ok, we have a page: Documentation/Bulnose Upgrades. (By naming it that I could put it #3 in the list and still keep the alpha order. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

It is just a start and I want to kick some ideas around before going very far with it to ensure I get it right and don't have to backtrack. For instance, the only thing that has a link right now is the 3G, and I added a blurb beside it. Is it too much? Will having blurbs beside each one make the page too long? Are blurbs even needed?

And, is there a need to order/re-order them? Alphabetically? Put priorities with them? Should they be grouped? ?????????????????

So please check it out and see what you think.

Ok, we have a page: Documentation/Bulnose Upgrades. (By naming it that I could put it #3 in the list and still keep the alpha order. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

It is just a start and I want to kick some ideas around before going very far with it to ensure I get it right and don't have to backtrack. For instance, the only thing that has a link right now is the 3G, and I added a blurb beside it. Is it too much? Will having blurbs beside each one make the page too long? Are blurbs even needed?

And, is there a need to order/re-order them? Alphabetically? Put priorities with them? Should they be grouped? ?????????????????

So please check it out and see what you think.

See, I might not even have a forward facing page.

Just put the hyperlink in the blurb, on the appropriate page (of the EVTM, in the case of the 3G)

People drill down to diagnose their alternator.

When they reach there, there is also -after- perhaps a short paragraph about the advantages of 3G conversion, with that text being the link to the appropriate page or article in the "upgrades" folder.

See, I might not even have a forward facing page.

Just put the hyperlink in the blurb, on the appropriate page (of the EVTM, in the case of the 3G)

People drill down to diagnose their alternator.

When they reach there, there is also -after- perhaps a short paragraph about the advantages of 3G conversion, with that text being the link to the appropriate page or article in the "upgrades" folder.

I'm dense. Sorry. But I don't understand "forward facing page" nor "upgrades folder". Please try me again?

As for a drilling down to diagnose their alternator, when they get to the EVTM there are no words. Or, maybe I should say "no words I can modify". There are words in the EVTM on how to test, as shown below, but in reality those are pictures of words and they aren't something I can edit.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand.

1985-etm-page19.thumb.jpg.514bf6427dcc34b775f52fca894e8ece.jpg