Bullnose Forums

Saginaw Conversions - Where To Put It?

Gary Lewis

We have a page called Saginaw Conversions here: Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Saginaw Conversions. Today I did a bit of reorganizing in the Steering section and debated what to do with that page. Here are the options I'm thinking of, but would like your opinions.

• Leave it where it is. The advantage with this approach is that it can be found by search engines.

• Fold it into the Power Steering page on the Pumps tab. That is cleaner, neater, but apparently won't be found by search engines.

Thoughts?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect to find all the relevant information on a specific topic grouped together, so all information specifically about power steering pumps should be under “Steering.”

To find a section called pumps and list every know pump is what search engines are for. The same could be said for a page dedicated to “bolts” and you have to then rake through unnecessary information to find what you’re looking for.

As for SEO, maybe add keywords on pages that do are read by bots.

That aside, is there another way to format the sub-pages so that they contain less cell padding? Not everyone will use a desktop computer to access the site content, so can you adjust for mobile devices?

I would expect to find all the relevant information on a specific topic grouped together, so all information specifically about power steering pumps should be under “Steering.”

To find a section called pumps and list every know pump is what search engines are for. The same could be said for a page dedicated to “bolts” and you have to then rake through unnecessary information to find what you’re looking for.

As for SEO, maybe add keywords on pages that do are read by bots.

That aside, is there another way to format the sub-pages so that they contain less cell padding? Not everyone will use a desktop computer to access the site content, so can you adjust for mobile devices?

I could not add this photo in my last post, but this is what I mean.

On my device, this page has little space for useable content, since it’s taken up by headings and cell padding:

2DD535D6-B92A-412F-A59C-D359DA296652.png.f142d8e64c26da56755710071201b117.png

If you can, reduce the size of the fonts site-wide, so you can fit more information in less space. Leave font scaling up to the individuals to tailor on their own devices (eg on iPhone set Text Size to large). I’m not suggesting making it impossibly small and skirt site accessibility standards, but at least maximize the content and minimize large heading text, etc.

Gary, is the current location consistent with the location of other popular upgrades such as 3G alternator info, ZF-5 swap, hydroboost (?) etc.,? All else being equal I would favor a location where search engines will detect it.

Perhaps there out to be a folder for "Bullnose Upgrades" and all the above plus DSII swap and anything else like that should live there...?

A hyperlink in each of the pertinent sections could go to that folder, or the specific sub-folder.

Perhaps there out to be a folder for "Bullnose Upgrades" and all the above plus DSII swap and anything else like that should live there...?

A hyperlink in each of the pertinent sections could go to that folder, or the specific sub-folder.

Well, it seems the feedback is split. Some for an individual page, like we have now, and some for it being on the Power Steering page.

I think I want to leave it where it is for a while, for two reasons. First, it would take some time to move it, and I need to get back to Big Blue. Second, so the search engines can find it, which they don't seem to do with content that is deep on the page due to lots of tabs.

Vic - I've added key words on many pages that have tabs and from what I've seen the search engines don't reward info in key words the way they do content itself. And they don't seem to find tabbed content.

And your suggestion of changing the font and reducing the cell padding is good. But the key words, font, and cell padding are all part and parcel of an overall usability vs SEO optimization discussion. It is one we seriously need to have, but not in this thread. Let me think about this and I'll start another thread that will delve into this aspect of the site. Thanks.

Jonathan - I think the Saginaw Conversion page's location is consistent with the 3G page. For the Sag it is Doc/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Saginaw Upgrade. For the 3G it is Doc/Electrical/3G. But I don't think we have a page on Hydroboost upgrades, do we? We have discussions about it here in the forum, but no page on it in the Doc section.

But, we should and either you or Jim, IIRC, said I'd do it when done with Big Blue. I'm happy to do that and can also do the 460 Saginaw part of it as well. As for where it should go, I guess in light of the above discussion maybe it should be a page on its own in Doc/Driveline/Brakes/Hydroboost Upgrade?

Jim - I'm not averse to a folder with links, but where would you suggest we put it? A new sticky? And what is an "upgrade"? Does a D60 qualify? How 'bout converting from a Bricknose to a Bullnose? Just trying to understand the guidelines.

Well, it seems the feedback is split. Some for an individual page, like we have now, and some for it being on the Power Steering page.

I think I want to leave it where it is for a while, for two reasons. First, it would take some time to move it, and I need to get back to Big Blue. Second, so the search engines can find it, which they don't seem to do with content that is deep on the page due to lots of tabs.

Vic - I've added key words on many pages that have tabs and from what I've seen the search engines don't reward info in key words the way they do content itself. And they don't seem to find tabbed content.

And your suggestion of changing the font and reducing the cell padding is good. But the key words, font, and cell padding are all part and parcel of an overall usability vs SEO optimization discussion. It is one we seriously need to have, but not in this thread. Let me think about this and I'll start another thread that will delve into this aspect of the site. Thanks.

Jonathan - I think the Saginaw Conversion page's location is consistent with the 3G page. For the Sag it is Doc/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Saginaw Upgrade. For the 3G it is Doc/Electrical/3G. But I don't think we have a page on Hydroboost upgrades, do we? We have discussions about it here in the forum, but no page on it in the Doc section.

But, we should and either you or Jim, IIRC, said I'd do it when done with Big Blue. I'm happy to do that and can also do the 460 Saginaw part of it as well. As for where it should go, I guess in light of the above discussion maybe it should be a page on its own in Doc/Driveline/Brakes/Hydroboost Upgrade?

Jim - I'm not averse to a folder with links, but where would you suggest we put it? A new sticky? And what is an "upgrade"? Does a D60 qualify? How 'bout converting from a Bricknose to a Bullnose? Just trying to understand the guidelines.

Gary, I'd say "upgrade" would include SAS, RSK, Headlight Relay Harness, DSII conversion, Sag swap, ect..

I don't see a fender and radiator support swap as an 'upgrade' except in the looks department.

Having a folder/page with all these in/on it, and a mention of "Those of us considering large tires and a lift, or tired of the constant whine of the C2 pump could benefit from a Saginaw steering pump conversion"

(With the italicised text taking them to the right spot in the "upgrades" folder/page)

Or something like that. 🤔

But I honestly don't know a thing about the backend of this site or how to implement it.

To my ignorant browsing habits that seems easiest to navigate.

(But I still find myself trying to use Boolean terms for search)

Gary, I'd say "upgrade" would include SAS, RSK, Headlight Relay Harness, DSII conversion, Sag swap, ect..

I don't see a fender and radiator support swap as an 'upgrade' except in the looks department.

Having a folder/page with all these in/on it, and a mention of "Those of us considering large tires and a lift, or tired of the constant whine of the C2 pump could benefit from a Saginaw steering pump conversion"

(With the italicised text taking them to the right spot in the "upgrades" folder/page)

Or something like that. 🤔

But I honestly don't know a thing about the backend of this site or how to implement it.

To my ignorant browsing habits that seems easiest to navigate.

(But I still find myself trying to use Boolean terms for search)

I like the idea of an upgrades page that has a very short description and then links to the actual content.

As was mentioned, an 'upgrade' could mean different things to different people so what about testing the idea as just a simple Top 10 that deal with commonly-accepted safety or functional upgrades that would apply to the trucks as they rolled off the line? So avoid the upgrades that are dependent upon other changes (like lifts) at first. As common as Top 10 lists are online it would be interesting to see what kind of traffic one would draw.