Bullnose Forums

Parking Brake Pedals

myrl883

I need to replace the parking brake pedals on a couple of my trucks. I have 2 spares, one is early ('80-'83 I think), one is late style ('84-'91). They appear to be interchangeable, and I'm certain they are because the last known part number for all 1980-1991 trucks were 1984 part numbers.

Now for the real question - The parts catalog shows that F100, F150, and U150 all used the same pedals, but F250 & F350 used a different part number. Does anyone know the difference, or how to tell them apart? I don't know what my spares came off of. I cannot find engineering numbers stamped on either of them.

Myrl

By golly, you are right! And my page that shows them is wrong. It says F-Series above column 2B, but that's the F150's. F250's are 2C and F350's are 2D.

So the Bronco's and F150's got E4TZ 2780-C and the F250's and 350's got E4TZ 2780-D.

The way to find out is probably via the ID # stamped on them. Look for something like E4TE 2780-A1 and let me know. I can probably cross reference that ID # to the part #.

By golly, you are right! And my page that shows them is wrong. It says F-Series above column 2B, but that's the F150's. F250's are 2C and F350's are 2D.

So the Bronco's and F150's got E4TZ 2780-C and the F250's and 350's got E4TZ 2780-D.

The way to find out is probably via the ID # stamped on them. Look for something like E4TE 2780-A1 and let me know. I can probably cross reference that ID # to the part #.

Oops, now I see that you said you can't find the numbers on them. Hmmm, I dunno......

Oops, now I see that you said you can't find the numbers on them. Hmmm, I dunno......

Yep, I can get engineering numbers off of DOW for reference on the '84 part numbers, but it does me no good. Remember, I've been slinging Ford parts for the last 35 years - I have plenty of info available...

The only thing I can think of is that one must pull the cables further than the other. If that's it, I can compare my broken pedals to the spares. Does that seem logical to you?

Yep, I can get engineering numbers off of DOW for reference on the '84 part numbers, but it does me no good. Remember, I've been slinging Ford parts for the last 35 years - I have plenty of info available...

The only thing I can think of is that one must pull the cables further than the other. If that's it, I can compare my broken pedals to the spares. Does that seem logical to you?

What is DOW?

As for pulling them farther, that does make sense. So, lay them side by side?

What is DOW?

As for pulling them farther, that does make sense. So, lay them side by side?

DOW is DOES On the Web. It replaced ford's old blue screen DOES-II system. It's our dealer communication system. Dealers basically don't actually talk to anyone at FoMoCo.

That was my thinking - put my old ones next to the spares and measure how far they pull when applied. I can't think of any other reason they would differ.

DOW is DOES On the Web. It replaced ford's old blue screen DOES-II system. It's our dealer communication system. Dealers basically don't actually talk to anyone at FoMoCo.

That was my thinking - put my old ones next to the spares and measure how far they pull when applied. I can't think of any other reason they would differ.

Probably a good point, the F150s have essentially passenger car brakes, the F250/350 with the Sterling or Dana have a longer internal lever and the apply leverage is much greater, but is very sensitive to adjustment as it is simply two tangs on the lever up at the anchor pin that push the shoes apart.

Is the forward half cable the same across all U/150 and 250/350 trucks?

If not, the cable diameter or the ferrule on the end may be different.

Is the forward half cable the same across all U/150 and 250/350 trucks?

If not, the cable diameter or the ferrule on the end may be different.

In this table 2A is Bronco, 2B is F150, 2C is F250, and 2D is F350. And #2853 is the front cable. If I read it correctly they are the same across 150/250/350 if the wheelbase is the same. So it must be the rear cable that accounts for what brake system is in place, and the front cable accounts for the wheelbase.

Given that, it would make sense that trucks with larger rear brakes would need more leverage in the pedal mechanism.

parking-brake-parts-list.thumb.jpg.d0bedb4928553d82e0ac01761115b15c.jpg

In this table 2A is Bronco, 2B is F150, 2C is F250, and 2D is F350. And #2853 is the front cable. If I read it correctly they are the same across 150/250/350 if the wheelbase is the same. So it must be the rear cable that accounts for what brake system is in place, and the front cable accounts for the wheelbase.

Given that, it would make sense that trucks with larger rear brakes would need more leverage in the pedal mechanism.

Gary, I would say that is a pretty much correct assessment. The original system on Darth had a very long front cable that went all the way to the equalizer. The 1996 system I upgraded to (necessary due to the change in steering column and parking brake control) has a standard front cable, then an extension cable to the equalizer. The spring loaded piece at the equalizer is eliminated.

It is nice due to the self adjusting brake control, but can be a royal PITA if you need to disconnect the control (pedal) from the cables. The cables have to be pulled all the way back and held so a 3/16" rod (screwdriver) can be inserted through the pedal and self adjuster.