Bullnose Forums

Alfie's Winch Bumper

Alfie623

And now I'm down to the finishing touches to get this bumper ready to install on the truck.

I still plan on having it chromed but I'm going to stick with the plan of painting it and installing it for the summer and seeing how I like it before I move forward with the chrome.

I ordered up a new fairlead. I really like the look of this style over the larger (albeit better) rollers. This is a cast unit capable of handling my stainless steel wire rope.

Tonight I spent a few long hours sanding and polishing. I can say that I can see where the polish will eventually come out and the chrome coating will work. As I type this I'm waiting for some primer to dry to I can add another coat. I picked up some rattle can chrome paint and in the next few hours I'll turn this masterpiece into a turd...... for the time being anyway.

Still on my list of things to do is:

1. buy and cut the diamond plate for the top of the sides of the bumper.

2. mock up and mount two vintage, cast tow hooks.

3. fabricate a removable front trailer hitch that I can use to launch the boat or move a trailer around the yard. This will be well built but not intended to be used on the road.

Lastly, I had someone suggest a powder coat product that mimics chrome. I'm going to call the folks that coated by grill guard and tire carrier and see what their thoughts are on this stuff. If it's really close to the look of chrome and less expensive I may consider this as an option.....

I love it! Thanks for the update.

I'm anxious to see the tow hooks. And I heartily recommend the front receiver. Mine mounts to the four bolts of the winch.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job! Looks great!

Nice job on the bumper.

Like you, above or below just did not cut it for lights

Your buddy did the same thing, all bet better, that I did with my lights in the bumper.

20190511_155426.jpg.7e478ba2c480733e241c3f82618c57d5.jpg

It would be nice to have my bumpers chromed but for good chrome it is a lot of $$.

I looked into getting them wrapped in chrome but 2 of the 3 places would not touch them. The 3rd would not do them in chrome but is SS because the chrome would show scratches from when they were putting it on. They also said it would be about $250+ to do both bumpers.

They did give me a guy to call that does a lot of color change of cars with wrap but I would need to call and make an apt. and with the hours I work that was not going to happen.

As for powder coat chrome if it is anything like a air filter lid I had done it does not look like chrome.

It looks more like un-polished nickel and that was ok with me as the lid from the factory was un-polished nickel. Sorry no picture of the lid but can get one if you want.

If you do a Google search for spray chrome there are a few different ways this is done. It looks like chrome but not all the chemicals. Jay Leno does a Youtube video of 1 type.

You may want to look into then as an option?

The last if you are going to paint with chrome paint they say the part has to be baby butt smooth.

Lay down black paint. This has to flow out like water NO ORANGE PEEL!

Could you sand & buff the black to get it smooth? I guess but that is a lot of work but has to be smooth.

You then spray the chrome paint over the black. From what they say it is like how they do mirrors.

Believe me I have looked into this a few different times and none of it is cheap other than you spray painting it yourself. That is why I went with Dupli Color bright silver, pre-mixed ready to spray and put a few coats of Dupli Color clear, pre-mixed ready to spray also over the top to make it shine a little more, not that is helped or hurt but came out good for what I could afford till I hit the lottery.

20190909_124754.jpg.75df8a084413f82f58fa4b3f196a06c7.jpg

Dave ----

And now I'm down to the finishing touches to get this bumper ready to install on the truck.

I still plan on having it chromed but I'm going to stick with the plan of painting it and installing it for the summer and seeing how I like it before I move forward with the chrome.

I ordered up a new fairlead. I really like the look of this style over the larger (albeit better) rollers. This is a cast unit capable of handling my stainless steel wire rope.

Tonight I spent a few long hours sanding and polishing. I can say that I can see where the polish will eventually come out and the chrome coating will work. As I type this I'm waiting for some primer to dry to I can add another coat. I picked up some rattle can chrome paint and in the next few hours I'll turn this masterpiece into a turd...... for the time being anyway.

Still on my list of things to do is:

1. buy and cut the diamond plate for the top of the sides of the bumper.

2. mock up and mount two vintage, cast tow hooks.

3. fabricate a removable front trailer hitch that I can use to launch the boat or move a trailer around the yard. This will be well built but not intended to be used on the road.

Lastly, I had someone suggest a powder coat product that mimics chrome. I'm going to call the folks that coated by grill guard and tire carrier and see what their thoughts are on this stuff. If it's really close to the look of chrome and less expensive I may consider this as an option.....

That looks great!