Bullnose Test Forum

Need some schooling ;)

FuzzFace2

The difference whether trucks got a 8.8 or a 9" was strictly determined by gear ratios ordered and GVW of the truck. By the '85 model year, most all trucks had 8.8s. I was shocked to see a 9" in one of my son's trucks, which is a 1986 F150 built 09/86 in Canada.

That does not agree with Ford's documentation, as shown in this post above.

The difference whether trucks got a 8.8 or a 9" was strictly determined by gear ratios ordered and GVW of the truck. By the '85 model year, most all trucks had 8.8s. I was shocked to see a 9" in one of my son's trucks, which is a 1986 F150 built 09/86 in Canada.

That does not agree with Ford's documentation, as shown in this post above.

I completely see where you're coming from. But in the last 35 years, I can't count how many catalog errors I've seen - even with Ford's current GCAT system, which is VIN driven based on HVBOM records.

Also, ask anyone with lots of dealership experience - fact books had little to do with facts, they were simply sales tools. lol

I've seen way too many vehicles that people thought were unique or misbuilt because they didn't match what was in a fact book...

But the gear ratios were basically the same, weren't they? It's not like there's any real world difference between a 3.00 in a 9" and a 3.08 in an 8.8, or the same between the 3.50 in the 9" and the 3.55 in the 8.8, is there?

I saw an '86 F150 4x4 a couple years ago with a factory 9" rear end and found it odd. It was a 302 truck with NP435 4spd. I was told that it had the 9" because it was a 302 4spd. I had an '85 F150 4x4 with the AOD trans, and it had an 8.8 in it.

But the gear ratios were basically the same, weren't they? It's not like there's any real world difference between a 3.00 in a 9" and a 3.08 in an 8.8, or the same between the 3.50 in the 9" and the 3.55 in the 8.8, is there?

I saw an '86 F150 4x4 a couple years ago with a factory 9" rear end and found it odd. It was a 302 truck with NP435 4spd. I was told that it had the 9" because it was a 302 4spd. I had an '85 F150 4x4 with the AOD trans, and it had an 8.8 in it.

Yes, Cory, there's not enough difference in gear ratio to warrant one axle over the other.

The info I posted yesterday is from the 1986 facts book. But I also checked the 1985 facts book yesterday and it shows the 9" as standard in some cases and optional in others. And I'm confident the 1984 facts book will show that as well, although I can't check until later this morning.

And the master parts catalog shows the 9" being used through 1986:

application-chart-header_orig.thumb.jpg.888dc00901b6325a377673f44d10c9ca.jpgapplication-chart-1_orig.thumb.jpg.61257f11ee263bdf0faf0b55874bc3a5.jpg

I can't imagine Ford showing that level of detail for three years running in the dealer facts books if it was an error. And the fact that the MPC shows the 9" still being used through '86 lends support to that theory.

Yes, Cory, there's not enough difference in gear ratio to warrant one axle over the other.

The info I posted yesterday is from the 1986 facts book. But I also checked the 1985 facts book yesterday and it shows the 9" as standard in some cases and optional in others. And I'm confident the 1984 facts book will show that as well, although I can't check until later this morning.

And the master parts catalog shows the 9" being used through 1986:

I can't imagine Ford showing that level of detail for three years running in the dealer facts books if it was an error. And the fact that the MPC shows the 9" still being used through '86 lends support to that theory.

Gary, I know the 9" was available in the F150 through 1986, Matt scored a perfect set of XLT trim for his 86 F150 at a junkyard, the truck he pulled them off of had a 9", however, it was a 2WD and Matt's was a 4WD. I wonder if that may have been the difference?

Gary, I know the 9" was available in the F150 through 1986, Matt scored a perfect set of XLT trim for his 86 F150 at a junkyard, the truck he pulled them off of had a 9", however, it was a 2WD and Matt's was a 4WD. I wonder if that may have been the difference?

Thanks guys.

My buddy posted the VIN from the title and it shows the truck as a 83 flare side with a 302 motor.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Now we will not know if that matches the dash VIN or the frame number till we dig into the truck a little more.

Now I ran my 2 trucks thru the same VIN check he did and both come up as "1981 Ford F-Series Pickup 2WD F-100 Reg Cab"? Funny as my flare side had all the right parts for a flare side where his is missing some.

Must have something to do with the years and what info the VIN decode site gives?

Dave ----

Thanks guys.

My buddy posted the VIN from the title and it shows the truck as a 83 flare side with a 302 motor.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Now we will not know if that matches the dash VIN or the frame number till we dig into the truck a little more.

Now I ran my 2 trucks thru the same VIN check he did and both come up as "1981 Ford F-Series Pickup 2WD F-100 Reg Cab"? Funny as my flare side had all the right parts for a flare side where his is missing some.

Must have something to do with the years and what info the VIN decode site gives?

Dave ----

What VIN decoder are you using? The one on here is directly from Ford's master parts catalog.

What VIN decoder are you using? The one on here is directly from Ford's master parts catalog.

The one on that other forum I posted a link to above.

I just thought it odd it listed his 83 as a flare side but my 2 trucks, 1 a flare side, as reg or std cabs?

Cant remember if I used yours or not as I was having a heck of a time just getting the VIN right for the other site between O & 0 and F & P from the cert labels LOL

Dave ----

The one on that other forum I posted a link to above.

I just thought it odd it listed his 83 as a flare side but my 2 trucks, 1 a flare side, as reg or std cabs?

Cant remember if I used yours or not as I was having a heck of a time just getting the VIN right for the other site between O & 0 and F & P from the cert labels LOL

Dave ----

How 'bout trying the one on here and then let me know if you have similar problems?

How 'bout trying the one on here and then let me know if you have similar problems?

My VIN 1FTCF10E4BNA30878

comes up as a 81 F100 2wd pick up complete.

I did not run his VIN thru but looking over the page I don't see any thing about flare side or style side trucks just complete or other.

On the other site you plug in the VIN and it pops up the information I just don't know where it is pulling this from? Maybe something like the Marti report you can get?

No big deal just thought it was strange his that we don't know if it started as a flare side other than on paper (title) as it was missing the filler panels and some other little signs.

Dave ----